Liked
    0 times
    Please help!

English language set, possibly in Africa. Not a high action film more about life and hardship. Great orchestral music score. Not star status actors/actresses, but vey good.

All I remember and it is just an overview of the story is:

A European english speaking man settles in an unpopulated part of Africa at the end of the 19th beginning of 20th century (I think) He builds a basic house/farm with the help of native africans. He goes back to a "civilisation"( large town) in the same country I think, where he meets or possibly arranged to meet a lady/woman who he wishes/intends to marry and take back to the farm.

This he does, but I do not think she loves him or he her. Its a practical arrangement/agreement. They continue to build the farm (cattle) and struggle through the seasons. He falls very ill and nearly dies, but she looks after him showing her strength and support. I think they learn to love and respect each other and it seems that they are to have a happy life, but she falls ill and dies.

Thats about it, I think it was a very long film upto 3 hours and for some people it would seem to long. It may not have been Africa nor in the 20th century for which I apologies.

Liked
    0 times
    Re-reading my post I think it is the wife that falls ill first and the man looks after her she recovers and he then falls ill and dies. Bits keep coming back to me. Given no one has helped so far this change of information probably wont help much. Thanks for looking any way.

If I get the film then my wife will buy this for me but probably not in time for Christmas

Merry Christmas any way

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    Are you sure this isn't "Out of Africa", starring Meryl Streep ?

Member Country: Djibouti
    Liked
    0 times
    name='oxfam1uk']Are you sure this isn't "Out of Africa", starring Meryl Streep ?

I'm pretty sure it is.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for responses but it isn't Out of Africa. There was no one that famous in the film and the story was as simple as I have described. An additional scene that again probably adds nothing is when his wife is ill he has to get back to her from somewhere he has been before the monsoon rains come as there is a river he has to cross that will widen with the rains and make it impossible to cross. I saw the film in Leicester Square when it first came out around 81 to 83 ish. I also saw it once on TV in the 90s

The answer is out there....... I hope!

Thanks again

Liked
    4 times
    Could it be THE GRASS IS SINGING (1981) with John Thaw and Karen Black ?

Liked
    1 times
    ... Based on the classic novel by Doris Lessing ? It could be.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    name='Hugo']Could it be THE GRASS IS SINGING (1981) with John Thaw and Karen Black ?

Do Thaw and Black count as "nobody famous"? Oh well, I suppose they haven't advertised any beauty products lately. I don't think it is this film anyway. If you're hazy about the location, then it's probably an Indian or Australian story - maybe even American (ZANDY'S BRIDE or THE TRAP sort of fit)

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for suggestions but not the film I have seen. Could be set in Australia as you suggest and have searched through oz films to no avail. Am going through Halliwell guide page by page. Have definatly not dreamt this but I am surprised its not known. I am not going to give up on this.

Regards Mark

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    Try the keywords search on IMDB. You could start with a few words such as "farm" and "Africa". Probably quicker than thumbing page by page through Halliwell.

Liked
    0 times
    Have tried IMDd search using keyword & synopsis and still no luck.

It is definately a real film and my brief outline of story is correct.

Frustrated but will not give up. Thanks to everyone for all suggestions.

As it is nearly Christmas if any one gives me info to identify the film and I manage to buy a DVD of the film I'll buy two and send it (if wanted) to the helpful person.

Happy Christmas