Liked
    0 times
    All I can remember is one scene - perhaps the opening one - in which a man is sitting contentedly in his arm chair, perhaps smoking a pipe and reading the paper, while his wife is asking him questions that would suggest she is unhappy or discontented with something, perhaps their marriage, without knowing exactly why. She is obviously troubled and groping for the right words, while he seems unperturbed and apparently unaware there is anything wrong. The setting is a middle class home in the 40s or 50s. I realize this isn't much to go on, but if anyone thinks they might recognize this film, please let me know.

Ken

Member Country: England deancosmos's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Sounds very like Brief Encounter. Celia Johnson in a scene with her husband.

Liked
    0 times
    It sounds like the opening and closing scenes from "Brief Encounter" when the wife reflects on the brief affair she has had and wonders if she should tell her husband. Trevor Howard, Celia Johnson,1945 Cineguild. Directed by David Lean.

PeterJ

Liked
    0 times
    Try 'Dead of Night' (1945) Ealing film

Liked
    0 times
    Yes, it sounds like it might be something from Brief Encounter, but I saw that a few years ago and there was no such scene. I believe the opening of BE is the first train station scene.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    name='kenr']Yes, it sounds like it might be something from Brief Encounter, but I saw that a few years ago and there was no such scene. I believe the opening of BE is the first train station scene.

It's the closing scene.....

Liked
    0 times
    I only vaguely remember the closing scene, but I'm quite sure it wasn't the one I'm looking for, otherwise I would have recognized it right away. In any case, it seems to me the closing scene of Brief Encounter was the denouement, whereas the one I'm describing would seem like the lead-in to something.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    name='kenr']I only vaguely remember the closing scene, but I'm quite sure it wasn't the one I'm looking for, otherwise I would have recognized it right away. In any case, it seems to me the closing scene of Brief Encounter was the denouement, whereas the one I'm describing would seem like the lead-in to something.

At the risk of sounding Jack Buchanan-obseesed, you don't think it could have been "As Long as They're Happy" (1955) with JB and Brenda De Banzie?