Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Only today I was in Wycoller, where they filmed the packhorse bridge/ford scene. I don't actually remember the film, although I must have seen it. I only live about 5 miles from Marple, but on that date I'm otherwise engaged. Drat!

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    And if there is anyone who can claim to watch that scene*, you all know which one I mean, and not find tears in their eyes and a lump in their throat, then all I can say is I am truly sorry for them that they have no heart.

* And, yes, it is the most emotionally charged line I've ever heard.
    I have to agree: I have seen it countless times and it still gets me every time. Credit has to go to Lionel Jeffries for the way that scene was produced: the silhouette in the smoke, the use of music and the echo effect of her emotionally charged line. Quite simply classic and unsurpassed.

As an aside, the 1968 drama version was also very good: indeed the late Gordon Gostelow's portrayal of Perks was in my view superior to Cribbins. Was it not that version which was appearing on Amazon at ridiculous prices? Damn glad I have my own copy!

Liked
    1 times
    I tell you what! I love the film and you can 'yoo boo sucks' all you like. Great story, great props and very fine acting! Lionel, Bernard, Jens, Sally everyone!

If it's on I'll watch it and I enjoy it every time!

By the way, in my next life I want to come back as wardrobe assistant to Ms Thomsett!

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    I thought it was excellent when I first saw it and still do today.

When Sian Williams was interviewing Jenny a couple of weeks ago, her question about the 1968 series was did she say those words that got her, Sian, every time in the film version - "Daddy! My Daddy!"

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    What a beautiful film this is. It should be required viewing for all children - and for adults at Christmas as well.

I was introduced to the Nesbit books with my sister when we were about ten, just after this film was released. The first one was Five Children and It and then The Phoenix and the Carpet and The Story of the Amulet. Those books are incomparable. Then came the Bastable books and The Enchanted Castle. This one came later; it is an exceptionally intense and powerful book for childre. That last scene - I won't spoil it - is a gem.

I will say that Jenny Agutter manages to capture all the power of that scene. The whole thing is beautifully done: all the Edwardian detail combined with Nesbit's set pieces.

Liked
    29 times
    I thought it was excellent when I first saw it and still do today.

When Sian Williams was interviewing Jenny a couple of weeks ago, her question about the 1968 series was did she say those words that got her, Sian, every time in the film version - "Daddy! My Daddy!"
    Oh, I didn't see this: I suppose the story is so well known in Britain that it's not a spoiler to mention the ending. (It isn't that well known here) That scene always moves me - in the book and in the film and, less so, in the more recent film.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Oh, I didn't see this: I suppose the story is so well known in Britain that it's not a spoiler to mention the ending. (It isn't that well known here) That scene always moves me - in the book and in the film and, less so, in the more recent film.
    Moves you? I should say so. If there's a dry eye in the house when she says it I'd be most surprised. It's beautifully done.

Steve

Liked
    36 times
    Moves you? I should say so. If there's a dry eye in the house when she says it I'd be most surprised. It's beautifully done.

Steve
    There is a story behind that scene as well - I'll try to dig it out so I don't make any mistake!

Even just imagining Jenny saying those words reaches to my very core.

There is an excellent article by Dr Susan Smith on that particular scene and the importance of Jenny's voice itself which is well worth reading. It can be found with a bit of searching on the internet or, if you have access to JSTOR you should be able to get it there:

2007 ‘Vocal Sincerity, Liminality and Bonding in The Railway Children (Lionel Jeffries, 1970)’, Literature/Film Quarterly 35/3. ISSN: 0090-4260

I managed to get hold of a copy to send to Jenny. I've been meaning to email Susan to see if I can get it on Jenny's website or at least a link to an online version so I'll do that today.

Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned the words but, certainly in the UK, one would be hard-pressed to find anyone who has not seen it.

It always strikes me as odd as it is so little known in the States since even the New Yorker rated it the best family film for 25 years [since Meet Me In St Louis] when reviewing it - and nothing to touch it until ET. Still, it wasn't American

PS Tim's right about the recent film - but once one has heard Jenny say it, nothing could ever sound as powerful and moving.

Liked
    418 times
    There is a story behind that scene as well - I'll try to dig it out so I don't make any mistake!

Even just imagining Jenny saying those words reaches to my very core.

There is an excellent article by Dr Susan Smith on that particular scene and the importance of Jenny's voice itself which is well worth reading. It can be found with a bit of searching on the internet or, if you have access to JSTOR you should be able to get it there:

2007 ‘Vocal Sincerity, Liminality and Bonding in The Railway Children (Lionel Jeffries, 1970)’, Literature/Film Quarterly 35/3. ISSN: 0090-4260

The title's right, it is the sincerity with which she says it that has a big effect. She's had to act like an adult to look after her siblings and to save everyone from disaster - but at the end she's suddenly a little girl who misses her daddy

Steve

Liked
    29 times
    Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned the words but, certainly in the UK, one would be hard-pressed to find anyone who has not seen it.

It always strikes me as odd as it is so little known in the States since even the New Yorker rated it the best family film for 25 years [since Meet Me In St Louis] when reviewing it - and nothing to touch it until ET. Still, it wasn't American

PS Tim's right about the recent film - but once one has heard Jenny say it, nothing could ever sound as powerful and moving.
    Well, it is known here, and those who know it do love it. But the audience is limited.

All of Nesbit's books - with the exception of the last few - are available in any large book store and have never been out of print since I first read them.

That film was released in 1970 - just before the large-scale popularity of British-made television and films that began with Upstairs Downstairs. That series changed everything, as it revealed the large potential audience for non-US product among television audiences. I remember well when it was on: even as a boy I was aware of how enormously popular it was. I can recall my grandmother discovering it and passing it on to my parents, and soon we were all watching it.

After that, a well-made British film or show would receive more attention during its initial release in the theatres, and then would be shown - and repeated - many times on television. (Many times. The Flame Trees of Thika, Brideshead Revisted and all the Poirot and Miss Marple episodes were on constantly, as were the comedies and more recently Jeeves and Wooster and Prime Suspect and Absolutely Fabulous - which I couldn't stand)

If that beautiful version of The Railway Children had been made a few years later, it would have been shown on public stations all over the US and would likely have been recognized as a classic.

Liked
    36 times
    If that beautiful version of The Railway Children had been made a few years later, it would have been shown on public stations all over the US and would likely have been recognized as a classic.
    It is certainly recognised as a classic here! It was the only family film to make it into the BFI's Top 100 British Films.

When Mrs Fell showed it to children at her school they were amazed - saying it was far better than what they usually watched. I'm just hoping Jenny has a professional engagement up here in the not too distant future as she promised to come and do a reading from TRC at the school for Mrs Fell.

Liked
    0 times
    This was perfect in every way, cast, performance, tempo, music and above all for me, Lionel Jeffries' direction. Sadly somehow he could not repeat his spectacular work in his later films. Maybe it was because he was pigeon-holed into children's films, and personally, I don't regard The Railway Children as a children's film. It works at a much higher lever.

I am 50 years old, seen it countless times, but still weep every time Jenny Agutter runs to meet her father anf the fantastic music builds to a climax.

Actually bumped into Jenny Agutter once, she used to live in one of the boathouses on the edge of the Thames at Clivedon (NT)

Senior Member Country: Wales
    Liked
    0 times
    I used to live in Brighton and had a momemnt when I saw Jenny Agutter walking towards me. It was on the high street just up from the clocktower, in the town centre.

As she approached I couldn't quite believe it and tried desperately not to stare...alas I failed and she looked right at me [which musy happen to all the time, men in their late-30s gawping at her].

I didnt say anything but all those lovely moments filled my head as she went past...Daddy, My Daddy!

Brighton has its share of actors living and working there but this was a great moment.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times

Come on Fellwanderer - do tell us what it is!

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    i'd love to see the 1968 black and white version,is there any planned release?

Liked
    36 times
    i'd love to see the 1968 black and white version,is there any planned release?
    It was released in 2001 but deleted in 2006

However...

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    I only came across this film recently. (A friend gave me her Daily Mail dvd freebie when I was over in the UK.)

Great film! A couple scenes nearly had me in tears.

Liked
    418 times
    Great film! A couple scenes nearly had me in tears.
    Only "nearly"?

Surely nobody can keep a dry eye at that superb final scene

"Daddy! My Daddy!"

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Lovely film. Deserves a revival. And while there are pleasures to be had in some epic-length, CGI-crammed, multi-million-dollar productions, I enjoy the economy of scale and sensible running time of many films past.

This is one of those films I recommend when someone complains about the lack of good titles for children. Not that I label this a kid's picture. It's a very good film for everyone to enjoy. The Witches, A Little Princess, Sounder are a few others. I have sweet recollections of The Littlest Horse Thieves as well, though it has been decades since I saw it.

Liked
    0 times
    I love this film, its always been a family favourite.

I wasen't very impressed by the remake in 2000 though, It had Jenny Agutter playing the mother I think. It just couldn't beat that 1970s classic!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast