Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Definitely a fave - that line "Daddy...my daddy" gets me EVERY SINGLE TIME!

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I've just bought this film on DVD and whilst I have seen it before, I'm saving viewing till nearer Christmas.

A wonderful film. The 2000 version wasn't bad either.

Senior Member Country: England Maurice's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Daily Telegraph

by Anita Singh,

Showbusiness Editor:

THE RAILWAY CHILDREN, the film which has enchanted generations of viewers, is to be restored and re-released in cinemas after 40 years.

The adaptation of E. Nesbitt's classic tale, starring Jenny Agutter and Bernard Cribbins, is a regular fixture in the Christmas television schedules.

It was originally released in 1970 and the film will return to cinemas again next Easter, taking on the might of Hollywood blockbusters including Tim Burton's ALICE IN WONDERLAND and the �45million remake of CLASH OF THE TITANS.

The film is to be digitally restored, a painstaking process that involves taking the original negatives, scanning and colour-correcting each frame, and enhancing the original soundtrack.

THE RAILWAY CHILDREN is one of several films from the British Library Archive at Pinewood Studios that will receive the restoration treatment next year. Another will be KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS, the 1949 Ealing comedy featuring Sir Alec Guiness.

John Rudden of Optimum Releasing, which manages the archive, said he was confident the old-fashioned tale would appeal to a new generation of children raised on modern offerings from the likes of Pixar and Dreamworks, with their state-of-the-art special effects.

"I think it will definitely stand up to modern releases," he said. "If you look at Pixar films, they are all about the story. THE RAILWAY CHILDREN is a classic British children's story. People connect with it and the demand for it on DVD remains high after all these years.

"It is for parents who grew up with it and loved it and want to introduce their own children to the film."

The film is likely to have its premiere at the Bradford Film Festival in March. It has a special connection to the city as it was shot at the nearby Keighley and Worth Valley Railway Line.

The story of three children who move to a house near a railway after their father is wrongly imprisoned for espionage was first published as a novel in 1906. It has been adapted for television several times and, to mark the 30th anniversary in 2000, Agutter starred in a remake in which she played the children's mother.

There are over 1,400 British classics in the archive, including early Hitchcock and CARRY ON films.

Mr. Rudden said: "Many of these films are in really bad condition and we are investing a lot of money in cleaning them up as best we can."

Liked
    0 times
    Fantastic, it means I'll be visiting the cinema again after quite some time.

Hopefully we'll get a digitally remastered DVD (plus Blu-Ray) release soon after with lots of extras and a commentary track too.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I can't see why it should need restoring. It was filmed in Technicolor and I have a few 35mm frames from it that I saved from the copy I ran at the Plaza nearly 39 years ago and they still look as clear and unfaded as they did when they were new. A 35mm 1971 print (the film was actually shot in 1970 and released in 1971), if they can find one in the vaults that's practically unused, should look as good as new when projected. I also have the film on DVD and it looks okay to me.

But while they're at it with all the restoration for old Pinewood films, why don't they restore The Spanish Gardener (1956) and release it on DVD in full VistaVision aspect ratio instead of the truncated 4 x 3 format that we've had to put up with for years.

Liked
    0 times
    Perhaps their restoring it for a future Blu-Ray hi-def release?

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I do love "The Railway Children". I remember reading the book at school, and then being taken to see it at the cinema. It never fails to fill my eyes with tears - especially the ending, when Jenny Agutter glimpses her father through the gradually clearing steam, which has me crying like a baby.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    But it IS everyone's favourite......

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Were you posting this?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Yes! How the heck did that get there??

Liked
    0 times
    This is one of my all time favourite films. To this day I still cry when Robbie is reunited with her father.

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Back to the film.

Apart from a high standard of drama it does the same skillful 'trick' as Dad's Army, it has achieved a timeless quality thus guaranteeing it's success with every new generation.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    It's the perfect children's film in my view and Jenny Agutter, Sally Thomsett, Gary Warren, Dinah Sheridan, Bernard Cribbins and William Mervyn play their parts with just the right touch for what could be quite a sentimental story.

I also liked the more recent version with Jenny as the mother and Jemima Rooper as Bobbie, and was pleasantly surprised when I watched the 1968 TV series - also featuring a pre-Waterfront Jenny as Bobbie - to find that was hugely enjoyable as well.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I hate to pee in everyone's pond, but I always loathed this film as a kid. Maybe it was because I was an Amazing Mr Blunden fan, with it's ghosts and solid story seemed superior in every way to a bunch of kids who wave at some bloke on a train, and Agutters delivery always seemed really wooden to me. I just found it so boring, sorry.

You may now fire at will. :O)

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Azanti
    I hate to pee in everyone's pond, but I always loathed this film as a kid. Maybe it was because I was an Amazing Mr Blunden fan, with it's ghosts and solid story seemed superior in every way to a bunch of kids who wave at some bloke on a train, and Agutters delivery always seemed really wooden to me. I just found it so boring, sorry.

You may now fire at will. :O)
    But okay we don't all like the same things and I quite like 'The Amazing Mr Blunden' too'. Although I love Jenny Agutter and so 'The Railway Children' is the better of the two.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain vincenzo's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Railway Children is dated in many ways but personally I feel it adds to the charm.

I enjoyed Amazing Mr Blunden too.

Liked
    0 times
    come on, does this really need a restoration effort, there are plenty of classic films that are still crying out for a first release on dvd so for gods sake get some of these out and leave the railway children alone for a while cause no doubt in a few years this will see a blu ray release anyway so why bother restoring it for a dvd release, get a grip.

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    The digital re-release of The Railway Children has just been given its classification by te BBFC - thank goodness it's still a U!

THE RAILWAY CHILDREN rated U by the BBFC

Liked
    0 times
    Looking forward to a DVD release bursting with extras, unlike my current vanilla version.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast