Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm one those who prefersthe original, but a decent job was done on the later version, takes me back to when I was a kid.

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    Looking forward to a DVD release bursting with extras, unlike my current vanilla version.

Let's hope you're right.

My understanding is that Sally Thomsett and Bernard Cribbins were interviewed at Haworth at the beginning of February for it. Unfortunately, Lionel Jeffries was far too ill and so, I believe, was Dinah Sheridan.

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Here is a young Dinah Sheridan opening Hull's Cecil Theatre in 1955.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBDXTg4XS80

Liked
    0 times
    Let's hope you're right.

My understanding is that Sally Thomsett and Bernard Cribbins were interviewed at Haworth at the beginning of February for it. Unfortunately, Lionel Jeffries was far too ill and so, I believe, was Dinah Sheridan.
    I hope Jenny gets interviewed, it'd be a crime not to and it'd be nice seeing the 3 main stars reunited again.

Liked
    36 times
    The new digitally remastered BluRay and DVD versions are available for pre-order - released on 3 May. I've ordered mine from Moviemail:

Films starring Jenny Agutter on DVD and Blu-ray | Movie Mail UK

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    The Railway Children: Forever Young

It was a little film that became an instant classic. As The Railway Children celebrates its 40th birthday, Patrick Barkham catches up with the original cast

Guardian:

The Railway Children: Forever Young | Film | The Guardian

Liked
    36 times
    Following the premiere on Sunday evening at the Bradford Film Fesitval, it goes on release on Friday:

Watch The Railway Children Online | Find any Film

Senior Member Country: England Maurice's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    BBC Breakfast marking film's 40th anniversary.

Sally Thomsett had to conceal the fact she was 20 when she played 11-year-old Phyllis Waterbury.

Liked
    36 times
    Railway Children memorabilia found in Keighley (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus)

Glad that this has turned up - though I must admit I prefer who I found at Oakworth!

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    A clip from The Railway Children was used on Newsnight the other day when they did a vox pop on the streets of Keighley.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Brian Sibley was on Radio 2 tonight and he had heard that Gary Warren was working in the fur trade in Canada.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    This may have been posted, but just in case:

A production of The Railway Children will be staged in the former Eurostar terminal at Waterloo Station from 4 July-5 Sept. as part of the 40th anniversary of the film.

<The auditorium has been tailor-made for the production and the audience will be seated either side of the original railway track, as the action unfolds on the track and the adjacent platforms. The show will use the saloon carriage from the original film and feature a period steam train from the National Railway Museum in York. The production is supporting the Railway Children Charity...>

Liked
    0 times
    Brian Sibley was on Radio 2 tonight and he had heard that Gary Warren was working in the fur trade in Canada.

Ta Ta

Marky B

I believe that's just a rumour and this is what is posted on the IMDb: -

Where Is He Now?

I have heard that he is dead. I would like to know if this is true.
    Apparently he is alive and well and living in Hatch End. I work with his neighbour, who tells me he now sells fashions for the larger lady as they never go out of style.

Re: gary f warren

According to Geoffrey Bayldon's commentary in the Catweazle DVD set, although he isn't sure, he thinks that Gary didn't pursue acting, but got into the clothing trade instead, and now lives outside England. I too would like to find out more about Gary, as I'm sure would many Catweazle fans!
    Gary Warren left acting as very long time ago and does not want to return. He moved to Canada and is in the 'rag trade'.

I belong to The Catweazle Club and a few weeks ago at our yearly meet at the locations of the series, Elspet Gray and Moray Watson who played his parents in Catweazle announces that he is in fact back in England but no one seems to know where.

Attempts are being made to contact him with regard to appearing at the 40th anniversary next year although I gather he has completely turned his back on acting altogether.

Although: -

unfortunately I don't know it but would like to so as to pass on to secretary of fan club as we would love him to come to next years get together and if I do get to find out I will let you know.

In the meantime I can only suggest is you call Equity the actors union in London and see if they still have his old agent listed. It's a long shot especially as he hasn;t acted for years so may now not be a member.

A very long time ago ( I'm talking in 70's) I did call his agent who gave me his phone number ( his parents home ) and I rang him and wished him Happy Birthday but times have changed and of course that wouldn't happen now.

All I know is they lived in Dryden in London.

The secretary says she does know where his mum lives but obviously won't divulge it so she may actually be listed. Have you tried B4USearch- Whatever you're looking for ?

Another option is to use internet to look up places in Canada that deal in fur trade ( since found out today he worked in that industry) and see if you can trace him that way.

Good Luck and let me know how you get on

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    15 times
    .. and feature a period steam train from the National Railway Museum in York.
    <One groans in anticipation ....>

"a period steam train"? (Firstly, it would be a period steam "engine").

But one just imagines ... an industrial engine from the Midlands, an ex-NCB engine that never saw branch line or passenger work ......

Hope someone can report back on what actually was used - I'd love to have to apologise

Senior Member Country: United States theuofc's Avatar
    Liked
    399 times
    One groans in anticipation ....>

"a period steam train"? (Firstly, it would be a period steam "engine").

But one just imagines ... an industrial engine from the Midlands, an ex-NCB engine that never saw branch line or passenger work ......

Hope someone can report back on what actually was used - I'd love to have to apologise
    The good thing is this was the wording of a Daily Mail reporter and hopefully doesn't reflect stumbling on the part of the production. When it was held last year at the National Railway Museum, I'd like to think the Railway Museum got it right.

If not, we still have the wonderful story and characters who are the main focus. Added perk: part of the proceeds will go to support the Railway Children Charity.

Best wishes,

Barbara

Liked
    36 times

Ta Ta

Marky B
    That's what Jenny said at Bradford recently as well but Gary appeared on the Danny Baker Show [Radio London] earlier this year and the impression was given that he lived locally and listened regularly. I'm pretty sure Danny asked him to pop in again for another discussion.

Liked
    36 times
    Received the digitally remastered DVD and BluRay versions of The Railway Children this morning - packed with goodies!

The colours were superb and it is really excellent, though I was certain to be enthusiastic - yet again had tears welling at that scene.

5 Star and a bit more

Liked
    0 times
    Fantastic and just what are the goodies, because there's no information on Amazon or Play?

Liked
    36 times
    Jenny's latest interview on The Railway Children:

Jenny Agutter Interview < Little White Lies - Independent Film Magazine

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Lionel Jeffries (oh, how he should have directed more) said he just wanted a strong, simple story without sex and violence everyone could see and enjoy. "Family film" is a misused label for all kinds of tat, but this film ticks the boxes.

My mother remarked that Perks indignation at the children's well-intentioned charity was a real thing even in the 30s when she was a toddler; people didn't want society to know that they needed charity, however well intended.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast