Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    The BBC Radio countryside team at 6.07 a.m. this morning (Saturday 7th August) payed a 40th anniversary visit to the Oakworth location to chat with local residents regarding the filming of the movie.

The "Open Country" programme is being repeated again on BBC Radio 4 at 3.00 pm on Thursday 12th August,or available for the customary replay period as of now on the BBC i-player.

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    By rights, I should have watched this on Friday or yesterday but I suddenly realised that today marks the fortieth anniversay of the world premiere of The Railway Children in Leicester Square.

I didn't make that but I did make the world premiere of the digitally remastered version at the Bradford Film Festival in March - and I got a kiss from Bobbie!

Curled up to watch it this morning and yet again the tears welled at three point during the film - her are two of them:

Simply, the perfect family film - never equalled, let alone bettered.

The fortieth anniversary edition, Blu-Ray or DVD, is worth getting for the extras which include interviews with Jenny, Sally Thomsett and Bernard Cribbins and a wonderful retrospective documentary featuring many of the locals who were involved in the filming - their affection for "their" film shone through.

As usual, it makes an appearance on our screens this Christmas - Boxing Day on ITV, so I'll be watching it again then.

Thank you Jenny [most of all ] and the rest for a special treat that has lasted forty years.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    22 times
    I agree, far and away the best childrens film of all time, when the boys were young we used to picnic by the line, some photos here of Oakworth

381 Photos of [station] , within 10km of Oakworth, Bradford :: Geograph Britain and Ireland - photograph every grid square!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    The only Jenny Agutter movie portfolio to have with me as we speak, owing to using it frequently for posting on local history sites in my region. Premiere of "The Railway Children", 21 December 1970, ABC 2 Shaftesbury Avenue, London.

Have dozens of small newspaper and magazine items; and the 40 x 30 full colour poster (although every collector on here has one,surely?)

Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C View Post
    The only Jenny Agutter movie portfolio to have with me as we speak, owing to using it frequently for posting on local history sites in my region. Premiere of "The Railway Children", 21 December 1970, ABC 2 Shaftesbury Avenue, London.
    I'll have to search it out but I have a reference to it being the day before Jenny's 18th birthday - which would have been 20 Dec 1970. I wonder if that might have been the Royal Performance at Windsor Castle, attended by Jenny.

Have dozens of small newspaper and magazine items; and the 40 x 30 full colour poster (although every collector on here has one,surely?)
    I wish!

PS - th best thing about it if I'm wring is I can watch it again tomorrow
    Last edited by Fellwanderer; 20-12-10 at 04:05 PM.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    i did a bit of a 'railway children' detour on my recent trip to haworth,i loved the fact oakworth station still has a coal fireplace in the waiting room (i was less impressed with the uncovered victorian gentlemens WC as it was raining!),i looked for the 'three chimneys' cottage but i couldn't find it and on asking railway staff of its whereabouts was pointed in the right direction but politely warned tgat the present owners are less than impressed with the interest that their property brings-miserable blighters!

Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycad View Post
    i did a bit of a 'railway children' detour on my recent trip to haworth,i loved the fact oakworth station still has a coal fireplace in the waiting room (i was less impressed with the uncovered victorian gentlemens WC as it was raining!),i looked for the 'three chimneys' cottage but i couldn't find it and on asking railway staff of its whereabouts was pointed in the right direction but politely warned tgat the present owners are less than impressed with the interest that their property brings-miserable blighters!
    Indeed! If they've lived there a long time, they should be used to it. If they're fairly recent, they must have known before they bought it. They must be offcomers as all those interviewed in the retrospective documentary were delighted with what the film had done for the vicinity.

If Jenny attends next year's Railway Children Walk, I intend having a couple of days there to explore some of the locations in more detail especially the river scene at the beginning of the film which gives the impression of being close to their London home but was, I believe, filmed between Haworth and Oakworth.

Liked
    100 times
    well,there's a river paralell to the railway line so i'd imagine it would be the location used? i saw a report on 'country tracks' a few weeks ago featuring the 'railway children' themed day on the keighley and worth valley line-everyone was in edwardian dress and there was a brass band too! i may pop down next year and steal some coal!

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick C View Post

That is a gem. I have never seen that anywhere. I didn't even know that a film brochure was released for The Railway Children. I am envious.

Liked
    36 times
    well,there's a river paralell to the railway line so i'd imagine it would be the location used? i saw a report on 'country tracks' a few weeks ago featuring the 'railway children' themed day on the keighley and worth valley line-everyone was in edwardian dress and there was a brass band too! i may pop down next year and steal some coal!
    Yes, that where I think it was filmed.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Shame on John Russell Taylor for the rather major mistake in this review And people used to think The Times was the paper of record

Last edited by CaptainWaggett; 20-12-10 at 10:55 PM.

Liked
    100 times
    he was only four years out with regards to era!

Liked
    492 times
    he was only four years out with regards to era!
    The era is fine, I think - the book was published in 1906. But the children certainly aren't Bastables - if they were, they'd be busy seeking treasure. They're Waterburies. It's the children's lit equivalent of confusing Sherlock Holmes with Professor Challenger

Liked
    100 times
    i've only ever read 'the railway children' once so the reference went right over my head!! still,if the book is set in present day in nesbitts time of writing then it certainly is not 'victorian' so there's two errors! (the film is set in the edwardian era at least!)

Liked
    36 times
    i've only ever read 'the railway children' once so the reference went right over my head!! still,if the book is set in present day in nesbitts time of writing then it certainly is not 'victorian' so there's two errors! (the film is set in the edwardian era at least!)
    John Russell Taylor was right on the era as at the beginning of his review he refers to "an Edwardian childhood" - it is only later that he uses "Victorian sentimentality" and "Victorian send-up". The book was set in 1904-5 - the watch presentation is made in "____1905" and I think the date in the film is 15 August.

It was only in the film that the name Waterbury was used.

Th one definite throwback to Victorian times, according to Jenny anyway, is the red petticoats. In Edwardian times, they would have been white - and I'm not arguing with Jenny!

Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellwanderer View Post
    John Russell Taylor was right on the era as at the beginning of his review he refers to "an Edwardian childhood" - it is only later that he uses "Victorian sentimentality" and "Victorian send-up". The book was set in 1904-5 - the watch presentation is made in "____1905" and I think the date in the film is 15 August.

It was only in the film that the name Waterbury was used.
    Waterbury was (maybe still is) a make of watch so I've always assumed there was some sort of word association going on with the children's rewards for saving the railway.

Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    Waterbury was (maybe still is) a make of watch so I've always assumed there was some sort of word association going on with the children's rewards for saving the railway.
    I'm glad the Good Captain said it

I thought the make of watch was mentioned in the book but couldn't find it so decided not to refer to that.

Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellwanderer View Post
    I'm glad the Good Captain said it

I thought the make of watch was mentioned in the book but couldn't find it so decided not to refer to that.
    Waterbury watches are mentioned in Five Children and It and The Story of the Treasure Seekers so it's a good Nesbittian name.

Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    Waterbury watches are mentioned in Five Children and It and The Story of the Treasure Seekers so it's a good Nesbittian name.
    Thanks - I knew I'd seen the Waterbury watch connection somewhere.

Liked
    36 times
    The Railway Children - the perfect version - gets another airing this coming Sunday on ITV3.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast