Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times
    Enjoyed yet again this afternoon and the tears were welling up at that scene.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    i watched it yet again! it's one of those films/programmes that i watch every time it's on and this time i had the added pleasure of recognising the locations.

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    I always love to watch this film - it is very close to perfect. I also like the version with Jenny as the mother and the 60s TV series where she originally played Roberta - but the film does have a certain magic that makes it a classic.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellwanderer View Post
    Enjoyed yet again this afternoon and the tears were welling up at that scene.
    If there's anyone who doesn't cry at that scene then they may as well give up now. They must be without any feeling or heart

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    If there's anyone who doesn't cry at that scene then they may as well give up now. They must be without any feeling or heart

Steve
    My dad always used to claim he had something in his eye when it came to that particular scene :)

Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by didi-5 View Post
    My dad always used to claim he had something in his eye when it came to that particular scene :)
    That scene always gets me and always will - I've seen it hundreds of times and it's always the same result.

Senior Member Country: England Maurice's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Sunday Telegraph 20/03/11

The Railway Children 'plagiarised' from earlier story
    by Jasper Copping

A group of youngsters save a train from disaster by desperately waving improvised red flags, in what must rank as one of the most famous scenes in children's literature.

The climatic moment from THE RAILWAY CHILDREN delighted generations on the page and was brought to the screen with Jenny Agutter in the lead role as Bobbie.

But Edith Nesbit's classic might not be the work of originality previously thought, it can be disclosed. The scene where the children alert the train driver to an obstruction on the track has uncanny parallels to a work published nearly a decade earlier.

Other episodes are also strangely similar. Indeed, the whole scenario is highly reminiscent of a book called THE HOUSE BY THE RAILWAY, which was first published in 1896 and was serialised in a popular magazine in 1904, a year before THE RAILWAY CHILDREN first appeared.

A copy of the work, by a writer named Ada J. Graves, was discovered by her granddaughter Anne Hall-Williams, as she cleared out her father's possessions following his death.

"The scene with the near tragedy is the pivotal scene from THE RAILWAY CHILDREN and it has simply been lifted," said Mrs Hall-Williams, 64, from Harrow, north-west London. "It seems to me also like E. Nesbit had (Ada J. Graves's) book open in front of her and was thinking, 'How can I tweak this so it looks like original work?'

"It is quite blatant really, the plagiarism. It is pretty obvious that E. Nesbit had read the earlier book. I realize that lots of authors operate in this way, but it seems rather naughty of her. Poor Ada deserves a bit of credit."

Both Edwardian works feature a group of middle class children in straitened circumstances who move to a house in the countryside near a railway with their mother.

In THE RAILWAY CHILDREN, it follows the arrest of their father on suspicion of spying; in THE HOUSE BY THE RAILWAY, the father has died. The children then embark on a series of adventures, some of which bear remarkable similarities....

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
    Sunday Telegraph 20/03/11

The Railway Children 'plagiarised' from earlier story
    by Jasper Copping
    The granddaughter will have to prove that Nesbit read it, or at least that the likelihood is that she read it. Not at all easy to prove.
    Otherwise it's coincidence, not plagiarism.

She will also have to justify her claim that "lots of authors operate in this way" or she could be sued for defamation.

Steve

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Plagiarism is often very difficult to prove, actually plagiarism is not a legal term in itself but it is used as a terminology in cases relating to violation of copyright law,Im not sure "lots" of authors operate this way but some very notable authors have fallen foul of copyright law by plagiarising the work of others, Ian Flemming for example was destroyed and humiliated in the high court over his "Thunderball" novel which he based on an earlier specially commissioned but unused film script by Kevin McLory, many believe the stress of the ongoing court case contributed to his fatal heart attack. As Steve mentions,proving that the accused had access to the plagiarised material is crucial, if its a published book you could argue that it was accessible at the book shop!....but proving someone read it is something else.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Since The Railway Children is out of copyright, we're in the world of literary criticism rather than lawsuits.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    A.J.Rowling-in-cash had all this carry-on with her wizard books and some poor sod we'd never heard of, didn't she?

So many books to read, and so many JR Hartley's. The Persistence of Print.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    It's obviously a very serious accusation and once it has been made it can never be taken back, especially in the world of the media today.

From what I have seen the two sequences that are the cause for the plagiarism accusation have to do with the engraved watches as a gift and the use of something red to stop the trains to avoid calamity. The fact that two stories about children living near a railway and having adventures were published at about the same time is not a cause for accusation in itself. Near-crashes and intrepid young people saving the day are the stuff of late-Victorian and Edwardian books and magazines and even paintings and poems. That was true in Britain and here as well, and remained true long after. If avoiding a train crash was a cause for plagiarism accusations the list would be very long indeed.

I recall biographer Julian Briggs mentioning the use of red petticoats as a memory from Nesbit's own childhood and that apparently that would not have been in use in 1906, so that part is original. The reference to the watches is similar, but together seem to be an extremely flimsy basis for an accusation - and the accuser does not hesitate to state blatantly that Nesbit was guilty.

I have a special interest in Nesbit and have read two biographies of her, as well as all of her books many times. She was highly eccentric and idiosyncratic but she was also one of the most original writers I have ever encountered. She would write two and sometimes three stories at a time. I have never read anything that would suggest she was a liar or a cheat, and of the many people quoted in the biographies, including Shaw and many of the Fabians she knew well, I never saw anything that would suggest she lacked integrity. It may be that she used a similar plot device as part of the larger whole, but what prolific writer creates in a vacuum? I'm sorry to see that the media has grabbed this and run with it - especially for an author who (here at least) is known only to a rather small group.

Liked
    36 times
    Another long day and I'm looking forward to catching up with The Railway Children this evening - ITV3, 4,35pm, although I'll still be working so it is set to record.

Doesn't get any more moving

TEHL will have to wait until tomorrow!

Not sure why the thumbnail is attached but one can't have too much of Jenny
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Fellwanderer; 03-07-11 at 05:38 AM.

Liked
    418 times
    See the Question: the new uploader thread

Steve

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    Another long day and I'm looking forward to catching up with The Railway Children this evening - ITV3, 4,35pm, although I'll still be working so it is set to record.

Doesn't get any more moving

TEHL will have to wait until tomorrow!

I think the extra thumbnail is so that you can cut it out and put it in a scrapbook if required; or with my poster you can put it on the wall

RailwayChildrenPoster.jpg

Junior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    1 times
    Couldn't agree more with all the positive comments. One of the few films that is even better than the book. Good to know that it isn't just me who cries every time.

Liked
    36 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bartonkeyes View Post
    Couldn't agree more with all the positive comments. One of the few films that is even better than the book. Good to know that it isn't just me who cries every time.
    Wouldn't be Christmas without the lovely Bobbie and the perfect family film - ITV, 10.55am:

Senior Member Country: Spain Rowdon's Avatar
    Liked
    143 times
    I'm replacing my VHS copy, and am underwhelmed by the DVDs on offer an Play.com. One is "digitally remastered", but is there a particularly recommended one? Is there one with extras? IS the blu-ray a huge improvement?
    Any advice? Or should I just get the twofer with Swallows and Amazons, if there's really no big difference in quality/extras?
    Cheers.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Not just the perfect Christmas film; an anytime family film. Yes, grown men are allowed to blub at 'that scene' - it's the law, y'know but I was still blubbing at the very end when all the cast are gathered around the engine saying 'goodbye' - I didn't want it to end! Mum had trouble calming this 8 year old down after we left the cinema in 1970.

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Don't know whether Fell and fans have seen this. A double cd of the music is out.

Two original albums, digitally re-mastered to make a 2-CD set featuring Johnny Douglas and his Orchestra. Disc 1 - Music from the film. Disc 2 - The story narrated by Lionel Jeffries with extracts of dialogue and theme music from the film. On the Dulcima label.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLJvW...eature=related

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast