Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I think I will have a look tonight just to check.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billy farmer View Post
    In the Book (The Making of The Railway Children), on one page, it says the following words - On Monday 1st August 1988, Bernard Cribbins returned to the Railway to film a TV programme called 'Away Day'. This was one of a six part series in which show business personalities are asked to revisit the location of one of their past productions. Bernard chose 'The Railway Children'. The service train hauled by locomotive No 5820 was used for many shots, with additional material filmed after the normal service. His presence at Oakworth did not go unnoticed and station staff even had to erect makeshift crowd-control barriers.

Does anyone remember the above series (Away Day), a series which I would like to see (especially the episode featuring Bernard Cribbins).
    This is the reply I got back this morning from Jim the author

Re Awayday - Yes I was there. It was a series where celebs revisited the location of the favourite films/TV programme they had appeared in. Bernard chose The Railway Children and spent much of the day at Oakworth station supping tea and chatting. He signed the station diary (see the book) and also visited Haworth yard (photo in book). I seem to remember he was stopping near Bolton Abbey and was going on about fishing quite a bit.

Senior Member Country: England billy farmer's Avatar
    Liked
    308 times
    Quote Originally Posted by angel2407 View Post
    This is the reply I got back this morning from Jim the author

Re Awayday - Yes I was there. It was a series where celebs revisited the location of the favourite films/TV programme they had appeared in. Bernard chose The Railway Children and spent much of the day at Oakworth station supping tea and chatting. He signed the station diary (see the book) and also visited Haworth yard (photo in book). I seem to remember he was stopping near Bolton Abbey and was going on about fishing quite a bit.
    Angel2407, some more very interesting info, thank you for asking the author of (The Making of The Railway Children) about the episode (featuring Bernard Cribbins) of the series Away Day.

Liked
    308 times
    Has anyone else noticed the person who can be seen in the background through the window? A reflection or someone in the office?
    BTW the cartman was Deddie Davies ( Mrs Perks) real husband. Sadly no longer with us.
    I can remember one time, when I watched The Railway Children on Video, in one scene where the children were running down the hill (from the house) to the Railway, I can remember (in the scene) seeing a road in the distance, and cars (probably late 1960's cars) could be seen travelling along the road.

Liked
    0 times
    I found one by accident a few months ago. In the scene where they say goodbye to the 'shabby Russian' on the platform, if you look to the top of screen towards the left a vehicle can be seen from right to left ( by the big chimney) along the road by the hedge.

Liked
    308 times
    A very interesting Buy it now item, on eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRI-ANG-HO...item2a36962a75

Liked
    0 times
    You going to buy it?

Liked
    308 times
    You going to buy it?
    If I won the Lottery, I might buy it.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billy farmer View Post
    A very interesting Book, which I received (a copy of) through the post today.

That looks very good. I will be on the lookout for it. A beautiful film - I'm very glad to see its appeal is still so strong after more than forty years.

Now I would like to see an equally beautiful production of Nesbit's other classic works.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TimR View Post
    That looks very good. I will be on the lookout for it. A beautiful film - I'm very glad to see its appeal is still so strong after more than forty years.

Now I would like to see an equally beautiful production of Nesbit's other classic works.
    Tim, website place to buy it is on line from the KWVR website. All the money goes to preservation of the railway. It can also be bought from Amazon or Waterstones.
    Failing that, I still have several copies for sale.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    The Australian Women's Weekly, 24th February 1971

The top right picture on the 2nd page is an alternative version of a lobby card DBF posted earlier:

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    A very interesting article, cornershop. The photo you refer to must have been been taken within seconds of the one used for the Front-of-House still. The stills photographer was probably clicking away continually with his SLR camera as they walked along the platform.

Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Nostalgic, innocent yet poignant at the same time, The Railway Children was a beautifully made film.The idea of a father being wrongly imprisoned and the family falling into despair was touching. This was what I would call a quintessentially 'English' film.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789