Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Had another thought. Was it Ice Cold in Alex?

Will try to watch that too!

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    15 times
    name='Mrs. Thursday']Had another thought. Was it Ice Cold in Alex?

Will try to watch that too!

Nope, Liam Redmond and his vehicle got blown up by a landmine or bomb .... a cigarette case wasn't much good to him that time.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    15 times
    name='Private Widdle'] .... whose life is saved when his cigarette case stops a bullet or a piece of shrapnel.

Think of a war movie .... any war movie .....

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Just to get this bit nailed dow firmly, the phantom soldiers one is definitely ALL QUIET. They are schoolfriends who enlist together, which fits, and the film was a 30s classic which might well have had a big re-release in the 50s.

I don't THINK that THE BIG PARADE ends with phantom soldiers, because John Gilbert doesn't die in that one. Even if it did, being a silent film there's no way it'd have had a major re-release in the 50s. It could have played the film societies or something, but not commercial cinemas.

No idea about the bullet, it could be so many things. I saw the same gag used in a spaghetti western, where the old drunk's "useless" war medal saves his life. If anybody can tell me the name of that film, I'll be... mostly indifferent!

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    name='Private Widdle']Hi folks - first posting - hope someone can help me out.

Over Christmas I was talking to my sister about the 'old days' and we both remember that about 35 years ago, ITV - we think - showed lots of old British 'B' movies during the day over the Christmas holiday.

I remember watching a war film that featured the Irish actor Liam Redmond (I think) whose life is saved when his cigarette case stops a bullet or a piece of shrapnel.

Can anyone help with its title as it's driving me insane?

It wasn't Reluctant Heroes, was it? I seem to remember Liam Redmond was in that, but it's so long since I saw it I can't remember much about it.

Liked
    0 times
    This started to drive me nuts so I went to look on the good old interweb to see if I'd get a clue. The answer was no but I did find a list of other war movie cliches, which gave me a chuckle:

�All G.I.s know how to make a still out of a jeep radiator.

�Any kid or dog for that matter can wonder around through an artillery barrage and not get killed while half the outfit will always get wiped out.

�Any machine gun nest can be approached from behind without difficulty, but not until half the unit has been wiped out.

�Cannons, howitzers, and main tank guns NEVER recoil, unless it�s old documentary footage.

�Elite units (Special Forces, Rangers, and Commandos) are always recruited from convicts and other socially degenerate segments of society.

�Elite units are always considered expendable even though they cost much more to train and maintain.

�Every army platoon has at least one, usually black, member who can play the harmonica.

�Every unit has a "Scrounger" who can get you anything from an atomic bomb to a date with the general's daughter for a bottle of cheap scotch, or vice-versa.

�Everyone who joins an Airborne (parachute) outfit doesn't understand why anyone would jump out of perfectly good airplane.

�Fox holes never have overhead protection, or grenade pits.

�German soldiers always wear grey uniforms and jack-boots, though these uniforms were pretty much phased out by mid 1943.

�If a main character dies, his sweetheart back home will have a nightmare at that exact same moment

�If a soldier tries to look up an old buddy who was transferred to different unit, the buddy will be dead, or will die shortly there after.

�If soldiers start to eat/drink/change socks/go to the bathroom, they will get orders to move out immediately.

�If the travel guide scene is omitted, you'll be treated with the scene where a soldier comments about how nice everything looks, too bad there's a war going on, he's going to come back when this is all over. He'll be shot by a sniper shortly after this scene.

�New replacements always get killed before you can even learn their names.

�No one will shoot the hero and the battle will even come to a stand still while the hero cries in agony and curse that "it should've been him" when his best friend steps on the land mine/get blown up/ dies charging the machine gun nest. The battle will resume as soon as the hero gets over his grief and gets angry. The hero will be victorious within 45 seconds of becoming angry.

�Only the "Japs" and the "VC" bother to use booby traps.

�Only the Marines fought the war in the Pacific. No Army personnel were involved.

�Roger, wilco -- over and out. 'nuff said. Radio transmissions are always improper.

�Snipers always know exactly where someone will pop there head out of trench and soldiers in trenches never use mirrors or periscopes, like they did in World War One.

�Soldiers and sailors must have at least on bar room brawl usually followed by a scene where they come to each others mutual aid the next day.

�Soldiers will always make a comment about the food, usually something along the line of "I stepped in it but I've never ate it" or "if we feed this to the "krauts" we'd win the war tomorrow".

�Soldiers will ask for keys for military vehicles even though these vehicles don�t use keys.

�SS soldiers always wear there dress black uniform.

�The battle hardened vet will always fall on a grenade for the new guy, rather than picking up the grenade and throwing it away, or jumping out of the fox hole.

�The British Army is only allowed to fight in North Africa, and even then only elite forces other than the LRDG and SAS are allowed to fight.

�The German Army always uses U. S. Patton Tanks.

�The hero's weapon is always different from everyone else�s.

�The military hero always carries a special knife with an 11 inch + blade and a hollow handle with all sorts of gadgets. (Most soldiers stick with the standard bayonet [6 in blade], Marine Corps Fighting knife [7� blade], or air force [5 �� blade] survival knife. None have hollow handles because hollow handles break too easily)

�The platoon sergeant never has a grenade on him, so he always asks someone else for the grenade, and then pulls the pin out with his teeth. (which will usually cause you to lose teeth before extracting the pin!)

�There has to be a scene involving giving chocolate to children or nylons/cigarettes to women in a WW II movie. The soldiers never try to take advantage of the situation by asking for sexual favors in return.

�There is also an obligatory scene where a soldier reads a travel brochure about beautiful Italy/Germany/France/Guam/ while the camera pans across the blown up country side.

�You're very likely to survive any battle in any war, unless you show someone a picture of your sweetheart back home.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='Mrs. Thursday']This started to drive me nuts so I went to look on the good old interweb to see if I'd get a clue. The answer was no but I did find a list of other war movie cliches, which gave me a chuckle:

� Roger, wilco -- over and out. 'nuff said. Radio transmissions are always improper.

I love that one. Police dramas do it as well

For the uninitiated, in RT procedure, "over" means that it's the other person's turn to start speaking and "out" means that you're switching off.

So "over and out" means "you start speaking, I'm going away"

Steve

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='Steve Crook']I love that one. Police dramas do it as well

For the uninitiated, in RT procedure, "over" means that it's the other person's turn to start speaking and "out" means that you're switching off.

So "over and out" means "you start speaking, I'm going away"

Steve

We use radios at work .... some of our younger male staff members copy all that 'over and out' stuff. When they have it explained correctly (as Steve has just done) they'll argue that 'they don't do it like that on telly'.

Bats.

Liked
    0 times
    Could be Ice Cold IN Alex (1958)

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for all the suggestions folks but it was definately a 1950's British war film set in WW2. I'm pretty certain it was Liam Redmond but may be wrong. It certainly wasn't a main feature as it was on with a whole collection of British 'B' type movies - so it was definately not AQOTWF, Cockleshell Heroes, Tobruk, ICIA. I've done a bit of research and found a rare war film called 'The Steel Bayonet' made by Hammer in 1957 which is ringing some dim and dark memories but then again it didn't feature Liam Redmond - does this one contain the infamous cigarette case or was it a hip flask perhaps?

Liked
    0 times
    name='Private Widdle']Thanks for all the suggestions folks but it was definately a 1950's British war film set in WW2. I'm pretty certain it was Liam Redmond but may be wrong. It certainly wasn't a main feature as it was on with a whole collection of British 'B' type movies - so it was definately not AQOTWF, Cockleshell Heroes, Tobruk, ICIA. I've done a bit of research and found a rare war film called 'The Steel Bayonet' made by Hammer in 1957 which is ringing some dim and dark memories but then again it didn't feature Liam Redmond - does this one contain the infamous cigarette case or was it a hip flask perhaps?

Was it High Treason - 1951?

Liked
    0 times
    Success!

It was 'Tarnished Heroes' (1961) and it wasn't Liam Redmond but an Irish actor called Patrick McAlinney. By chance I bought this on DVD along with Camp on Blood Island and Yesterday's Enemy about six months ago but only got round to watching it last night. Dermot Walsh (TV's Richard The Lionheart) leads a squad of deserters and other desirables on a mission to blow up a bridge behind enemy lines. Patrick McAlinney plays Riley - a sergeant busted for a drink problem who during the battle is given the famous life-saving silver hip-flask by Dermot Walsh and thereafter Robert is your mothers brother!

I can't believe it's only taken me 37 odd years to sort this out!

BTW 716 Jones (another Zulu fan like me?) you were so close with 'Reluctant Heroes' which I believe is the name of the original stage production of this film.

Happy days!

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by john audley View Post
    Unless I am confused (again! Happens a lot now) this Tobruk contained very little historical accuracy?

Anyway.......
    We could have a thread where members could actually name a film that gave an unswervingly accurate account of a 'happening'. I would struggle to think of one and if I researched it, such a movie would be found down amongst the turkeys I am sure.

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernardo View Post
    We could have a thread where members could actually name a film that gave an unswervingly accurate account of a 'happening'. I would struggle to think of one and if I researched it, such a movie would be found down amongst the turkeys I am sure.
    A Bridge Too Far
    Cockleshell Heroes
    San Demetrio London
    The Battle of the River Plate
    Ill met by Moonlight

There are quite a few major films that give just as accurate an account of a real event as any news report

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    A Bridge Too Far
    Cockleshell Heroes
    San Demetrio London
    The Battle of the River Plate
    Ill met by Moonlight

There are quite a few major films that give just as accurate an account of a real event as any news report

Steve
    You have to admit, the completely made-up ones are mostly a lot more fun

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    You have to admit, the completely made-up ones are mostly a lot more fun
    Do I? I like ones that are based on real events, as long as they are reasonably accurate - like the ones I listed
    I find stories about real heroic deeds to be much more fun and more inspirational than made up stories, especially when the people in those made up stories do impossible things like in a lot of the (usually American) "comic book hero" type of action films like Batman, Die Hard, The Matrix etc.

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook View Post
    Do I? I like ones that are based on real events, as long as they are reasonably accurate - like the ones I listed
    I find stories about real heroic deeds to be much more fun and more inspirational than made up stories, especially when the people in those made up stories do impossible things like in a lot of the (usually American) "comic book hero" type of action films like Batman, Die Hard, The Matrix etc.

Steve
    Really? You prefer them to film with original stories? I don't think I've ever enountered anyone who thought Ill Met By Moonlight was more fun than The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp or 49th Parallel

Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett View Post
    Really? You prefer them to film with original stories? I don't think I've ever enountered anyone who thought Ill Met By Moonlight was more fun than The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp or 49th Parallel
    I prefer action films to be based on real events rather than on made up stories
    There is a place for good fiction in that - where it isn't in the "Action" genre

Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12