Thread: Albert Finney

Liked
    0 times
    Went to see him in Before The Devil.... on Saturday.Highly recommended by the critics but in my view a big disappointment with Finney only appearing around 2/3rds the way through.A sad waste of his talenet.Why doesnt he appear in better and bigger films with far more prominent parts.By the way to anyone out there who also has seen this film,did you find the sound as muffled as i did.There were stretches when it was incomprehensable mu,bling.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Had been warned in some reviews that Albie was in a very small part. I would presume he did it as a favour to Sidney Lumet who directed him in Murder on the Orient Express. He did the same for Soderberg in Traffic years before. He has always had penchant for small parts in films and indeed has had an erratic film career. I still think he is one of the finest living actors we have in this country.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Looking for some help with this one?

My wife has been asking me if I knew the name of a black and white movie Albert Finney made many years ago. Now all she can tell me about this film is that he was a bit of a rascal, working in a factory and carrying on with his workmates wife. also she remembers a particularly funny scene when Finney shoots a gossiping female neighbor on the bottom with an air gun…

Thanks in advance..

Liked
    0 times
    'Saturday Night And Sunday Morning' (1960).

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by taffy1967
    'Saturday Night And Sunday Morning' (1960).

LOL.. That was quick Taffy.. Cheers..

Liked
    0 times
    No problem and I've ordered 'Charlie Bubbles' (1968) from Amazon. I've had an e-mail today off them to say it's on it's way.

I had ordered it from Play.Com originally, but after almost 2 weeks I cancelled because they obviously didn't have it in stock. Well it just said 'Order Taken' and that was it.

So looking forward to finally seeing it on DVD.

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Windthrop View Post
    Had been warned in some reviews that Albie was in a very small part. I would presume he did it as a favour to Sidney Lumet who directed him in Murder on the Orient Express. He did the same for Soderberg in Traffic years before. He has always had penchant for small parts in films and indeed has had an erratic film career. I still think he is one of the finest living actors we have in this country.
    He also features as an extra in the 1965 American production of Love Has Many Faces, according to Hugh O'Brian in Showtime magazine of the period. Albie was holidaying in Acapulco at the time and visited the set one afternoon when they were shooting a swimming pool sequence where a young girl gets thrown into the pool with all her clothes on. O'Brian says, "Albert enjoyed it so much that he asked if he could take part".

I also think he did The Duellists as a favour, too, owing to Diana Quick being in the film.

I agree he is one of our best. I even suffered Annie because he was in it

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    He was wonderful in Annie. You have no heart!

GRAEME
    I notice that, according to IMDB, the great Finney is making a Bourne and a Bond in the same year!

The Bourne Legacy is in post-prod, and Skyfall is filming, of course. Any news as to his role in the Bond?

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by didi-5 View Post
    He was wonderful in Annie. You have no heart!
    It was nearly Sean Connery

Liked
    191 times
    Eeek, a Scottish Daddy Warbucks! What a lucky escape.

I loved Albert Finney's role opposite Tom Courtenay in 'A Rather English Marriage', as a blustery military man being taken for a ride by posh totty Joanna Lumley. Beautifully understated performances from all three, actually, and a film which manages to be both funny and moving, as well as being a realistic depiction of lonely old age. Their earlier teaming in The Dresser is a hoot as well.

Senior Member Country: England Westengland's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times
    The details for the BBC-2 TV 1975 version of Peter Nichol's Forget-Me-Not-Lane, in which AF takes a rare lead in a TV play have just been added to IMDb: here.

There is, interestingly, a American TV production of Forget-Me-Not-Lane, also from 1975 - details here; this is available on R1 DVD from the USA. I wonder whether the BBC FMNL will get a release soon (perhaps the IMDb listing will now help publicise its existence).

Senior Member Country: UK Windyridge's Avatar
    Liked
    52 times
    Quote Originally Posted by didi-5 View Post
    Eeek, a Scottish Daddy Warbucks! What a lucky escape.

Their earlier teaming in The Dresser is a hoot as well.
    Really? I remember this being very poignant and sad, with bitter undertones.

Liked
    191 times
    It's sad but also a very funny depiction of an actor with delusions of grandeur. That's how I have always read it, anyway.