Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Afew years ago I went on a trip to Scampton where some of the film was made and I have some good photos of the building and the road where Richard Todd meets Michael Redgrave to tell him of the success of the raid. Also some photos from inside the briefing room where Todd gave the raid details. It looked virtually unchanged except part of it was a mess room and the room was no longer being used. I could almost see Richard Todd stood there. I have a photo of Guy Gibsons dogs grave , and as anyone ever seen the film on TV in recent times where they overdub any reference to the dogs name with the name Digger? See even in these politically correct times I cant even use the poor dogs real name N.....

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Afew years ago I went on a trip to Scampton where some of the film was made and I have some good photos of the building and the road where Richard Todd meets Michael Redgrave to tell him of the success of the raid. Also some photos from inside the briefing room where Todd gave the raid details. It looked virtually unchanged except part of it was a mess room and the room was no longer being used. I could almost see Richard Todd stood there. I have a photo of Guy Gibsons dogs grave , and as anyone ever seen the film on TV in recent times where they overdub any reference to the dogs name with the name Digger? See even in these politically correct times I cant even use the poor dogs real name N.....

can you let us look at the photos???

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    can you let us look at the photos???
    yeah when i dig them out.

Liked
    0 times
    If Scampton is where some of the scenes were filmed, it would make very good sense that most of the aircraft scenes were filmed at RAF Cranwell.

Liked
    0 times
    Hugo,

Are you sure about Cranwell being the location for most of the scenes of aircraft? Scampton was the location for 90% of the filming. A friend of mine's father was one of the RAF aircraft engineers involved with the Lancasters and I recall that he said that ALL of the relevant filming was done at Scampton. Prepared to be proved wrong, though.

Liked
    0 times
    Are you sure about Cranwell being the location for most of the scenes of aircraft? Scampton was the location for 90% of the filming. A friend of mine's father was one of the RAF aircraft engineers involved with the Lancasters and I recall that he said that ALL of the relevant filming was done at Scampton. Prepared to be proved wrong, though.
    I bow to your father's inside knowledge. I do know without a doubt that the scenes where the bouncing bomb is being tested along a stretch of coast line is Chesil Beach in Dorset. Chesil beach is a mile or two from Abbotsbury.

Liked
    7 times
    Some of the 'testing' footage is official material of the actual tests. I have an excellent book on the subject that I must refer to (when I get it back from my pilot son!)

Liked
    0 times
    Alan,

I found it interesting, that even using official material of Chesil Beach in the film, where it can clearly be seen that the bombs were spinning backwards, it was not officially admitted until about 15 years ago, that the bombs were spinning.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    There's another thread about the film, which I cannot seem to find at present. One of the posts asserts two unusual things about it - firstly that it's possible to see some RAF Meteors reflected in a vehicle used for filming - somewhat before their time, naturally...

The other assertion was that Gibson's dog - who is obviously supposed to be no more at the end of the film - can be seen playing in the woods in the background of the final shot with Gibson walking down the road on the base.

I've made an exhaustive (and exhausting!) study of the film - and have to report that I can't see either of these things!!

rgds

Rob

Liked
    0 times
    I know some of the film was shot at Ladybower Reservoir in Derbyshire. Hubby seems to think it was the actual mission that was filmed there, but I think it may have been the footage of the practice flights.

Senior Member Country: England Santonix's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    I bow to your father's inside knowledge. I do know without a doubt that the scenes where the bouncing bomb is being tested along a stretch of coast line is Chesil Beach in Dorset. Chesil beach is a mile or two from Abbotsbury.
    The location for the scenes in the film, where Todd and Redgrave watch the test bombs being dropped according to Jonathan Falconer in his wonderful book "Filming The Dam Busters" was Gibralter Point near Skegness Lincolnshire.

Liked
    3 times
    I know some of the film was shot at Ladybower Reservoir in Derbyshire. Hubby seems to think it was the actual mission that was filmed there, but I think it may have been the footage of the practice flights.
    The twin towers of The Derwent Dam in the Derbyshire Peak District doubled for The Mohne Dam in filming.

Liked
    3 times
    RAF Hemswell was the Lincolnshire bomber airfield out of which most of the flying sequences were flown.

The formation take off was fimed at Kirton-in-Lindsey, which had a grass strip.

The sight of three Lancasters turning on to finals at this base north of Lincoln caused The Station Commander to ban any further filming there for fear of an accident.

Liked
    0 times
    There's another thread about the film, which I cannot seem to find at present. One of the posts asserts two unusual things about it - firstly that it's possible to see some RAF Meteors reflected in a vehicle used for filming - somewhat before their time, naturally...

I've made an exhaustive (and exhausting!) study of the film - and have to report that I can't see either of these things!!

rgds

Rob

I made that observation - its a Canberra jet bomber that can be seen, not a meteor.

As Wallis gets into the car with the air ministry men (just after he's wished luck to Mutt Summers before he takes off in a Mosquito to drop the first successful practice bomb), in the car's rear window behind Wallis you can see the silver Canberra as big as anything.

At least, I could see it in the cinema, during the recent big-screen showing at Cine World of this classic movie, when I was seated in the second row.

Maybe that helped a bit . . .

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks cooleyn, I'll take another look! What about the dog at the end of the film?

rgds

Rob

Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    0 times
    If i can add my bit to this thread... I was based at HMS Osprey on Portland just at the end of Chesil Beach back in the early 90's and whilst i was there they found one of the test bombs used in that footage and used one of the helicopters from the Air Base to lift it out. If i remember right it was a lot bigger than expected. I'm not sure what happened to it, whether it went to a museum or disappeared in the Navy 'Vaults'. I did hear from the local divers that the others are still down there if anyone fancies a dive...

Senior Member Country: England mallee59's Avatar
    Liked
    8 times
    I found it interesting, that even using official material of Chesil Beach in the film, where it can clearly be seen that the bombs were spinning backwards, it was not officially admitted until about 15 years ago, that the bombs were spinning.
    I seem to remember making the Airfix model of a lanc many years ago and this had a pulley that was part of the mechanism to make the bombs spin, and that was much longer than 15 years ago

Mallee

Liked
    0 times
    mallee,

Alright, about 30 years ago!

Liked
    0 times
    cooleyn,

I must have seen 'The Dam Busters' about fifty times, whilst in the RAF and on the box and am astonished that you say a Canberra is visible. I used to fly the things and never once noticed!

As far as the dog at the end of the film is concerned, where is the 'wood'? The end scene was shot along the road outside the Officer's Mess at Scampton and there is no wood there.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    I've just watched this Film courtesy of yesterday's Daily Mail, an excellent print, I found the final scenes inside the Airmen's empty quarters very moving, focusing on different objects, 56 died on this mission, I had the impression that the 'flooded valley' scenes may have been stock footage of the Eastern England floodings of 1953, unless anyone knows any different?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast