Liked
    0 times
    I apologise in advance for what is undoubtedly a question everyone but me knows the answer to!

What is the name of the film about an American flier in WWII who is based in England. The film starts in black & white, when he returns after the War to England on a nostalgic visit. He wanders around the derelict air-base, and the film turns into colour as we are taken back to the War years.

Liked
    151 times
    Not sure about returning pilot's, but the derelict airfield/flashback is The Way to the Stars.

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    Might be Over Here which was a BBC drama shown in 1996. It starred Martin Clunes and Samuel West.

Liked
    151 times
    name='dremble wedge']Might be Over Here which was a BBC drama shown in 1996. It starred Martin Clunes and Samuel West.

Not seen it, but as there's talk of the scene turning to colour, you're probably correct.

Liked
    0 times
    It's neither of those.

(i) "Way to the Stars" is black & white.

(ii) I saw the film in the cinema in (about) 1957.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Captain Oates's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    It could be the 2002 BBC drama Night Flight, with Christopher Plummer and Edward Woodward. This fits some of the descriptions...

Liked
    0 times
    I repeat, Captain Oates, that I saw this film in the cinema in, about, 1957.

I cannot remember anyone who was in the film - but it possibly had a British cast along with the American lead.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    name='Dave B']I apologise in advance for what is undoubtedly a question everyone but me knows the answer to!

What is the name of the film about an American flier in WWII who is based in England. The film starts in black & white, when he returns after the War to England on a nostalgic visit. He wanders around the derelict air-base, and the film turns into colour as we are taken back to the War years.

12 O'Clock High begins with Dean Jagger returning to the English airbase in which he was posted during the war and telling the story in flashback. It was B/W throughout.

D.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='dylan']12 O'Clock High begins with Dean Jagger returning to the English airbase in which he was posted during the war and telling the story in flashback. It was B/W throughout.

D.

Sounds like the most likely candidate so far. Perhaps a photo will jog DaveB's memory.

Bats.

Liked
    0 times
    Oh gosh - "12 O'Clock High" MUST be the movie. Dean Jagger fits my image of the American exactly.

That just leaves me wondering why I remember it turning into colour. Perhaps I saw it during same school holiday that I saw "Wizard of Oz". Very strange.

Anyway, thanks very much.

Liked
    0 times
    12 O'Clock High was the first one that came to mind for me.

Liked
    0 times
    What a classic, almost a shame the Americans made it and not us. For whatever reason I find the end of this film very moving and poignant, the returning B17's roaring over the airfield with Dean Jagger walking out of the office hut and then cuts to the present where he takes his leave of the old airfield. Incredible atmosphere.

Shaun

Liked
    0 times
    No doubt about it '12 O'CLOCK HIGH' fits the description . I always remember the very clever use of sound in the opening sequence . The camera does a full 360 degree pan around the old airfield site . The pan starts with just english countryside atmosphere on the track,twittering birds etc, about half way round the track crossfades to the roar of aircraft engines that transport the viewer back into the past when the site was a fully operational US airbase. A very effective and imaginative use of sound .

They dont make-em like that any more!

Boom Man

Senior Member Country: Vietnam hankoler's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    I remember watching the film this american comes back over here and he cycles to the old airfield and wanders around the derelict buildings , it does turn into colour, but I can't remember the name of it. The film ends where he cycles away down the lane.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='Boom Man']No doubt about it '12 O'CLOCK HIGH' fits the description . I always remember the very clever use of sound in the opening sequence . The camera does a full 360 degree pan around the old airfield site . The pan starts with just english countryside atmosphere on the track,twittering birds etc, about half way round the track crossfades to the roar of aircraft engines that transport the viewer back into the past when the site was a fully operational US airbase. A very effective and imaginative use of sound .

They dont make-em like that any more!

Boom Man

If you like clever use of sound, (and do I assume that the "boom" in your adopted name has some relevance here?) have you seen One of Our Aircraft is Missing (1942). They don't use any recorded music in the soundtrack, only "natural" sounds that would be heard by the people in the film - although that does include some music where they would hear that in church, on the radio or on a gramophone

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    name='Dave B']Oh gosh - "12 O'Clock High" MUST be the movie. Dean Jagger fits my image of the American exactly.

That just leaves me wondering why I remember it turning into colour. Perhaps I saw it during same school holiday that I saw "Wizard of Oz". Very strange.

Anyway, thanks very much.

used as an example of management in various business courses. Peck takes over from an officer who has become too close to the men and after a textbook start Peck then makes the same mistake, great film, with excellent performances,classic

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Steve

the boom in my used title refers to one of the posts I held in my 45 year career in sound recording in the film and TV industries . I was a Boom Operator for many years . Of all the grades I worked in this was my favourite and I worked on many productions in this grade , so thats where the boom comes from.

I do remember 'One of Our Aircraft Is Missing'

. I havent seen it for some time .I will certainly keep a look out for it in future

and pay more attention to the sound track you described.

Best regards..Boom man

Liked
    0 times
    There's one film that starts in black and white and goes into colour for its fantasy sequences and that's "A Matter of Life and Death" (locally "Stairway to Heaven) in which David Niven plays an RAF bomber pilot and Kim Hunter the American servicewoman on the ground. But apart from it being entirely in B and W, "Twelve O'Clock High" is the obvious candidate.

Ted, Ottawa

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='ted']There's one film that starts in black and white and goes into colour for its fantasy sequences and that's "A Matter of Life and Death" (locally "Stairway to Heaven) in which David Niven plays an RAF bomber pilot and Kim Hunter the American servicewoman on the ground. But apart from it being entirely in B and W, "Twelve O'Clock High" is the obvious candidate.

Ted, Ottawa

Yes, there are no derelict air bases in A Matter of Life and Death and the flyer in that is British

I would think that Twelve O'Clock High is the most likely candidate

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    name='Steve Crook']Yes, there are no derelict air bases in A Matter of Life and Death and the flyer in that is British

I would think that Twelve O'Clock High is the most likely candidate

Steve

2 good films, but very different from each other.