Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quatermass II

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Am I right in thinking that Quatermass II is the first sequel in cinema history to have "II" or "2" in its title?

Ta Ta

Marky B

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='Marky B']Am I right in thinking that Quatermass II is the first sequel in cinema history to have "II" or "2" in its title?

Ta Ta

Marky B

If it is, then it's close.

Zoku Miyamoto Musashi: Ichij�ji no kett� (1955) was released as Samurai (Part II) in the US of A

There's a Hindi film Alladin II (1936)

If we just limit it to British films there are some like Launch of Shamrock II (1901). But that's cheating a bit because it's about a boat called "Shamrock II" although it is a sequel, to The Builders of Shamrock II (1901).

But I think the winner is probably the short film Tom Merry, Lightning Cartoonist II (1895) which is the sequel to Tom Merry, Lightning Cartoonist (1895)

Steve

Liked
    69 times
    Thanks,Steve. I suppose if I wanted to put that in a quiz,Iwould have to ask "Which is the first English language sequel of the talkies era to have II or 2 in its title?"

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    0 times
    This is one of my top five favourite films - seen countless times.

The title '2' really means the second rocket design by Quatermass and this is pointed out in the TV serial so a very cleaver use of the '2' not used for the cinema release.

I must mention one of the most exciting and brilliant concepts in cinema must be when the invading gang of workers are running through the complex under machine gun fire to terrific musical score and they are actually jumping in time with the bullets! Pure genius

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes, Quatermass II is definitely acknowledged as the first numerical sequel.

The Guinness Book of Movie Facts & Feats lists it as such.

Liked
    418 times
    name='Dave Rattigan']Yes, Quatermass II is definitely acknowledged as the first numerical sequel.

The Guinness Book of Movie Facts & Feats lists it as such.

Well it's wrong then

Tom Merry, Lightning Cartoonist II (1895) is definitely a sequel.

Although it is a documentary and a short so if they specify "feature film" then I might let them off.

Although there are probably others as well, I stopped looking when I found that one

Steve

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='john audley']I must mention one of the most exciting and brilliant concepts in cinema must be when the invading gang of workers are running through the complex under machine gun fire to terrific musical score and they are

actually jumping in time with the bullets! Pure genius

What else would you expect from the genius Val Guest! #2 is IMHO the best of the Quatermass films.

Bats.

Liked
    69 times
    You never know they might be a plan to bring out a brand new "Quatermass" film. Any suggestions who to play the Professor?

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    418 times
    name='Marky B']You never know they might be a plan to bring out a brand new "Quatermass" film. Any suggestions who to play the Professor?

Ta Ta

Marky B

Everybody's favourite "Mittel European" scientist:

Professor Heinz Wolff

Steve

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    What about this bloke ....

Bats.

Liked
    0 times
    Always loved Quatermass 11 - I may be wrong but I think its the only film that my two favourite Brit character actors - Percy Herbert and Michael Ripper, appeared in together. I have a Michael Ripper tribute magazine which has a wonderful still of the two of them wielding machine guns against the alien horde. Great stuff :-)

Liked
    1 times
    name='batman']What else would you expect from the genius Val Guest! #2 is IMHO the best of the Quatermass films.

Bats.

I marginally prefer Quatermass and the Pit, but as they say it is all about opinions

Liked
    69 times
    name='stevie boy']I marginally prefer Quatermass and the Pit, but as they say it is all about opinions

I agree with both points.

How about Patrick Stewart as the professor?

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: UK image45's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    <I marginally prefer Quatermass and the Pit, but as they say it is all about opinions>

True I still find Quatermass II more watchable however it still amazes me that both are now over 50 years old yet stand up so well for 1950's BBC tv while so many other 1960's programmes do not.

Liked
    109 times
    Hi.

The sad problem with the Quatermass series is that although the three cinema films still exist, the first television Quatermass production, (The Quatermass Experiment) is "supposedly incomplete". It is reputed that only the first two episodes exist. These have been released on DVD in a special Quatermass collection. I did query the BBC concerning this, but I found communicating with them not the easiest thing in the world. In fact I had to stop otherwise I would have gone mad. I will sometime make another attempt in the future.

The first three television Quatermass serials were produced by Rudolph Cartier:-

The Quatermass Experiment. (Professor Quatermass ... Reginald Tate.)

Quatermass 2 . ( ,, ,, ... John Robinson.)

Quatermass and the Pit. ( ,, ,, ... Andre Morell.)

The above were all successfully turned into featuere films with Brian Donlevy in the first two and Andrew Kier for the third.

Thames television produced the last television Quatermass serial originally called The Quatermass Conclusion, but was broadcast as Quatermass. This starred Sir John Mills. It was shot on film by Euston films. It has not been made into a cinema film.

The last BBC serial was for BBC Radio 3. and has been repeated on BBC 7. It starred Andrew Kier. It was titled The Quatermass Memoirs.

All stories and titles were written by the late Nigel Kneale, who, in certain istances wrote sections at a time in between broadcasts.

A few years ago an experiment in live television was made on television BBC 4 when the production was watered down in length as a play. Jason Flemyng took the part. Note David Tennant was a supporting cast member.

The first serial frightened the living daylights out of me. I had not recovered from the first one when the second serial was broadcast. But by the time The Pit had come along, I was older and gave it a try.

I have a special interest in the cinema version of Quatermass 2, as recorded elsewhere, as I live on a housing estate which was utilized for some of the filming.

Alan French.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='alan french']Hi.

A few years ago an experiment in live television was made on television BBC 4 when the production was watered down in length as a play. Jason Flemyng took the part. Note David Tennant was a supporting cast member.

There was even a special newsflash in the middle to prove it really was live (the Pope's death). Tennant was cast as the Doctor while rehearsing for this which is why Flemying changed one of his lines so he could be the first person to call Tennant 'Doctor' on screen. Being telefantasy it also has Mark Gatiss - I think that's the law now.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    name='alan french']Hi.

The sad problem with the Quatermass series is that although the three cinema films still exist, the first television Quatermass production, (The Quatermass Experiment) is "supposedly incomplete". It is reputed that only the first two episodes exist. These have been released on DVD in a special Quatermass collection. I did query the BBC concerning this, but I found communicating with them not the easiest thing in the world. In fact I had to stop otherwise I would have gone mad. I will sometime make another attempt in the future.

Quite true I'm afraid. Quatermass was produced, in the custom of the time, as a live play; we're lucky that the BBC had the foresight to try and record the live screening (Before videotape, remember) by basically pointing a film camera at a TV screen monitoring the live broadcast in the studio. The quality was not what had been hoped, however, and could not have been used for transmission subsequently, so after the second episode, the experiment was abandoned. After a lot of technical work in the last couple of years, those early attempts have been rendered watchable, and that is what you have on your DVD set. By the time the second series went out, the technology for telecineing had been worked on, so that does survive intact.

Liked
    109 times
    Hi.

According to one response I had from the BBC, was that after the first two episodes were recorded of Experiment, someone else recorded episodes 3,4 and 5. This fascinates me, as recordings of the broadcast went to Canada for subsequent transmission. Does this mean that Canadian television showed an incomplete broadcast? Illogical. According to another source only two episides of the first Quatermass serial were recorded and there is no evidence of the strike. There are some other anomalies that I can think of.

I must log off shortly, here in the Hemel Hempstead Library, but I have a feeling that I shall be idulging in this thread again.

Alan French.

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    name='alan french']Hi.

According to one response I had from the BBC, was that after the first two episodes were recorded of Experiment, someone else recorded episodes 3,4 and 5. This fascinates me, as recordings of the broadcast went to Canada for subsequent transmission. Does this mean that Canadian television showed an incomplete broadcast? Illogical. According to another source only two episides of the first Quatermass serial were recorded and there is no evidence of the strike. There are some other anomalies that I can think of.

I must log off shortly, here in the Hemel Hempstead Library, but I have a feeling that I shall be idulging in this thread again.

Alan French.

In that case, the first place to look would be a library which has Canadian newspapers from that era; find out exactly what was broadcast....if they only broadcasted the first two episodes....

Liked
    109 times
    Hi.

I will be resuming shortly in the not too far distant future regarding this frustrating subject.

When I do, I shall come back hopefully, with some more information.

Alan French.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast