Liked
    0 times
    Hi. I'm trying to remember the name of a film. I think it was made in 40/50's. I remember a man gets killed I think when he drives into a truck. He becomes a ghost and goes back to live in his house. I know there are two women there who he is in love with. I don't remember what happened in the film but I know at the end he leaves them and they follow after him in a car but I think they end up being killed in a crash and become ghosts themselves.

Sorry if this is all too confusing, my memory has many holes. Hope you can help.

Thanks

Foseco

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='foseco']Hi. I'm trying to remember the name of a film. I think it was made in 40/50's. I remember a man gets killed I think when he drives into a truck. He becomes a ghost and goes back to live in his house. I know there are two women there who he is in love with. I don't remember what happened in the film but I know at the end he leaves them and they follow after him in a car but I think they end up being killed in a crash and become ghosts themselves.

Sorry if this is all too confusing, my memory has many holes. Hope you can help.

Thanks

Foseco

It sounds vaguely like Blithe Spirit (1945).

Except there it's the man's wife who dies and haunts the man and his second wife.

That one ends up with a car carsh and everyone becoming ghosts.

Written by Noel Coward, based on his own play. Starring Rex Harrison with Constance Cummings & Kay Hammond as his wives. With Margaret Rutherford as Madame Arcarti, the spiriualist who organises the seance.

Steve

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I saw it again on C4 on Wednesday afternoon. Allegedly Coward told Lean that he had ruined his play.

Liked
    0 times
    I think you could be right. I said my memory was full of holes. Thanks for the help.

Foseco.

Liked
    418 times
    name='foseco']I think you could be right. I said my memory was full of holes. Thanks for the help.

Foseco.

The ghost(s) is/are always green if that helps jog any memory cells into place

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but it sounds like the "Topper" series, starring Cary Grant? Anyone remember it? They were killed in a car crash, and were like a ghost couple of sleuths.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='kelp']Sorry to throw a spanner in the works, but it sounds like the "Topper" series, starring Cary Grant? Anyone remember it? They were killed in a car crash, and were like a ghost couple of sleuths.

I love Topper, the ghosts are Grant and Constance Bennett .... IIRC they crash into a tree and have a chat on a nearby wall before they realise they're dead!

Bats.

Liked
    418 times
    name='batman']I love Topper, the ghosts are Grant and Constance Bennett .... IIRC they crash into a tree and have a chat on a nearby wall before they realise they're dead!

Bats.

Or is that Blithe Spirit?

They finish up with all three of them dead, as ghosts, sitting on a wall

Steve

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Ghosts seem to sit on walls A LOT. Not much else to do, I suppose. Pretty sure they do so in TOPPER as well as BS.

Liked
    0 times
    The original question sounds to me like Blithe Spirit. Sometimes old movies get muddled in our brains a bit.

Yes the ghosts are green in Blithe Spirit, not so in Topper.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='Steve Crook']Or is that Blithe Spirit?

They finish up with all three of them dead, as ghosts, sitting on a wall

Steve

But there's only two ghosts in Topper, and the wall sitting is at the start of the film. Let's hope no one starts mentioning pottery!

Bats.