Liked
    0 times
    I looked all over for a thread about Piccadilly and couldn't find one. What a fantastic movie this is.

Piccadilly 1929, starring Anna May Wong. She was such a gorgeous creature. This film was an utter delight and extremely modern looking for 1929 I thought. I can't rave enough about it. For a silent film it was very natural, the acting.

Piccadilly

Senior Member Country: Germany
    Liked
    0 times
    This film is available on DVD now. Look at amazon here: Amazon.co.uk

Liked
    0 times
    On the German DVD from "absolut Medien GmbH" is a prologue mentioned for the talking version of this silent film. Does anybody know if there has a second film with sound been made, has it been dubbed or have there been plans in making another version?

Liked
    0 times
    I just saw PICCADILLY (1929) with Anna May Wong on DVD from the BFI. It is a very good film for its age and the quality is superb. As an extra on this DVD are 5 minutes with the PROLOGUE FROM THE SOUND VERSION. It is a scene which soes not appear in the silent version.

I can't find any information about a complete sound version of that film. Or does the "prologue" mean that this was presented before the silent movie started tlhat time in cinemas with sound system because the prologue takes place outside an inn where Valentine Wilmot is running this pub. Asked by a new customer if he was the owner of the Piccadilly Club he says "Can you picture things? ... Then close your eyes and I will tell you a strange story of Piccadilly".

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    It was quite common in the '29/'30 era for a silent film to be reissued, or dually issued with the fully silent version, with a sound prologue and a music/effects soundtrack for cinemas that had adopted the new systems; I very much doubt a full-dialogue remake was made, or that would have been well known to us, so that is probably how it was presented; Sound Prologue, silent film with music/effects soundtrack, possibly a Sound Epilogue to end. The cinemas without sound (fairly common into late 1930)would obviously have run the silent version.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    129 times
    All I can add is that its a great movie, Anna May Wong is an icon!