Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi,

Can anyone remember an old British film about a young attractive woman who is caught by the police for some crime (possibly diamond smuggling). She is persuaded to infiltrate a gang of dangerous crooks to make up for her crime. She is successful initially, but is then rumbled and subjected to some harsh treatment by one of the gang (for some reason I seem to think he was an of ex Greek terrorist). It then becomes a race for the police to rescue her/capture the gang.

The film was almost certainly black & white, possibly very late 50s or early 60s. The plot I have outlined may sound a bit ordinary, but my memory suggests it was a convincing story and really well presented.

Can anyone help please with a suggestion or two?

Regards - Bernie

Liked
    0 times
    Dear Britmovie experts, I am pleading for your help naming this film and I am really feeling unloved by you all.

Last week I got slammed for daring to admit that I have poor computer skills. Now I seek help in naming a film and not one suggestion has been posted. Have I got bad breath or something?

Please please search your collective memories and post a few ideas.

Bernie

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    Now I seek help in naming a film and not one suggestion has been posted. Have I got bad breath or something?
    I think the likeliest explanation is that no one recognizes the description...!

Believe me, the forum is bursting with film buffs just dying to show off their knowledge, so if any of us could help you, we certainly would!

Liked
    0 times
    PS. I had a look at the thread where you said you were slammed for your computer skills. I think it was just a bit of friendly banter you took the wrong way.

Liked
    151 times
    name='ringsider']Dear Britmovie experts, I am pleading for your help naming this film and I am really feeling unloved by you all.

Bernie

As Dave says, you're not being ignored it's just that nobody (here) recognises the plot.

Liked
    0 times
    name='Dave Rattigan']PS. I had a look at the thread where you said you were slammed for your computer skills. I think it was just a bit of friendly banter you took the wrong way.

Dave,

Although my tongue was firmly in my cheek when I wrote about being slammed (my skin is not that thin), your words of comfort were a nice gesture.

Re the film name, I will try and show more patience.

Regards - Bernie

Liked
    5 times
    It does actually sound like something I saw on BBC2 on a Saturday afternoon once, but I couldn't say what it was.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    You might have to dredge up some more memories... was the woman blonde or brunette? What kind of crime was the gang involved in? Any more details?

Liked
    0 times
    I read the synopsis and the first thing that popped into my head was "Oh yes! David Kossoff!" This may say more about my latent psychoses than the film you're looking for, but I mention it for what it's worth.

Liked
    0 times
    name='D Cairns']You might have to dredge up some more memories... was the woman blonde or brunette? What kind of crime was the gang involved in? Any more details?

Memories might be putting it a bit strong. I saw this film once, in the mid 60s, and it was good, but not something instantly printed on your mind.

So, flying by the seat of my pants, I offer the follwing very vague recollections:

- I am pretty certain she was blonde.

- The police gave her a cigarette case (or a compact) as communication or recording equipment. But was that technology likely for a film in that era?

- Definitely don't recall the gangs precise line of work, but I am certain the real heavy was either Greek or Greek Cypriot.

- She was kept tied up in an upstairs bedroom (no it wasn't one of those S&M films).

Re the latest mention of David Kossoff. An interesting thought, I am a fan of lateral thinking, but it doesn't ring any bells. Then again, never say never.

Bernie

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    A similar storyline was used in the British B-film titled 'The Diplomatic Corpse' (1958) starring Susan Shaw and Robin Bailey.

Susan Shaw (blond hair) was held prisoner in the upstairs bedroom of a foreign embassy.

Dave.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    A compact was used to communcate in Park Plaza 605 but it wasn't a radio and the attempt failed. The girl was tied up in a room though, but the baddie was Richard Wattis!

Bats.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    150 times
    Depending on how old this was, Paul Stassino often played 'heavy' Greek/Cypriot parts.

YDSL x.

Liked
    0 times
    Many thanks for the suggestions so far. Judged by the time I am spending on naming this blasted film, I have clearly become obsessed with it.

I have had a look at those ideas in IMDB and,

- The Diplomatic Corpse - although Susan Shaw looked nice in her photos, I have absolutely no recollection of the close involment of a newspaper reporter.

- Park Plaza 605 - I think I would probably have remembered Tom Conway and Eva Bartok, not to mention Sid James and Richard Wattis.

- Paul Stassino - he is not an actor I am familiar with. I have scrolled through all his films and don't recognise any of their strorylines.

Please keep the suggestions coming (however vague) and I promise to consider them all. Ta.

Bernie

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Was Vivian Blaine in it?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    name='batman']A compact was used to communcate in Park Plaza 605 but it wasn't a radio and the attempt failed. The girl was tied up in a room though, but the baddie was Richard Wattis!

Bats.

Richard Wattis a baddie !!!!!!

Liked
    0 times
    name='Joenoir']Was Vivian Blaine in it?

Who said that humour was dead?

Anyway, I didn't know that Vivian Blaine, the 40 and 50s musical comedy actress, did bondage.

Bernie

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='stevie boy']Richard Wattis a baddie !!!!!!

Oh yes ... and pretty good he was too.

Bats.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain CALF28's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Could be 'The Shakedown' 1959 with Terence Morgan and Hazel Court. Mind you she's not blonde. I can't remember much about it except she's a police woman who goes undercover and gets caught out by Terence Morgan. I can't remember any Greek or Greek-Cypriot character, but these are usually played by Eric Pohlman or Gearge Coularis in a lot of 50s films (or any other vaguely 'foreign' type).

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='ringsider']Who said that humour was dead?

Anyway, I didn't know that Vivian Blaine, the 40 and 50s musical comedy actress, did bondage.

Bernie

40s star Valerie Hobson did. See Contraband and especially my notes on the kinkier aspects of the film.

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast