Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by suzepulcheria
    May I just say how terrific I think this forum is. I only joined this year but already I have learned such a lot (e.g. how little I know compared to some of the forum's members), I have tracked down many movies and TV programmes I thought I would never see again, and had lots of silly fun! Thank you all very much.
    Thank you. This is the best film forum site on the web and it is a pleasure to have you here!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    This is a good site, full of characters and no knowalls.

I made a jest about Batman and in print it does not look gracious, my deepest apologies, I was only having fun but I can see why it upset you. I really am sorry.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Thanks stevie ... no harm done.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    This is slightly off the topic of anagrams but does anybody know which Kubrick films are definatly British and which are American? Because there is sometimes an air of ambiguity depending on where it was filmed, who starred in it etc.

As far as I know, Clockwork Orange and Dr. Strangelove are his only definative British film. Though others such as Lolita and Barry Lyndon I am unsure about...

any help would be cool..

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilliam89
    This is slightly off the topic of anagrams but does anybody know which Kubrick films are definatly British and which are American? Because there is sometimes an air of ambiguity depending on where it was filmed, who starred in it etc.

As far as I know, Clockwork Orange and Dr. Strangelove are his only definative British film. Though others such as Lolita and Barry Lyndon I am unsure about...

any help would be cool..
    Do you know which are British and which are American with most films, especially those that have any element of co-production? It depends on how you specify the rules to determine the nationality of a film

Steve

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Well this is it isn't it. When IMDB give the films country, how do they even determine it? It is a tricky one sometimes. I thought most of it came from finance, but I could be wrong.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Well this is it isn't it. When IMDB give the films country, how do they even determine it? It is a tricky one sometimes. I thought most of it came from finance, but I could be wrong.
    The IMDb does follow the money, indirectly. They use the country of the main production company - where that is known. If another production company from another country had significant input (i.e. paid enough) then the IMDb will list it as a production with multiple countries, the order showing who made the biggest contribution.

But the IMDb isn't the only source of such information and other people or organisations go by the nationality of the director, producer, even the stars and a few even go by where it was filmed (at least where the studio was)

It doesn't really matters what criteria are used, as long as it's made clear which are being used

Steve

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times

any help would be cool..
    I always saw Kubrick as an American director living and working in the UK using British studios and technicians and creative staff, often his films had exclusivley American actors and often they were exclusivley British, some of his films are listed as US/UK co productions and some are simply UK or USA. I think his last film "Eyes Wide Shut" is listed as a US film, or is it UK? Anyway, two major US stars and the whole thing based in New York though shot in England with some second unit shots of the real NewYork. Normally when an American director comes to the UK to direct a film it is quite often classed as a US film, for example war films like "Saving Private Ryan" or "The Dirty Dozen", or the "Star Wars" films or the Indiana Jones productions and so on. The thing about Kubrick is that he chose to live in the UK and make his films here and I guess that makes him part of the British film making culture regardless of the fact that he is American, but as his films are usually ambitious large budget productions that means involvement with the major studios which are of course all American....hope that clarifies things for you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12