Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    where do you see the liberalism. realism and cinstructuralism in the movie . sr. strangelove

[ 24. May 2003, 18:16: Message edited by: DB7 ]

Liked
    0 times
    I don't know about structuralism or realism but it has liberalism in bucket loads.

The movie is great satire and protests about the bull-headed military mind.

Best quote from the movie:

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here - this is the WAR room!"

Liked
    151 times
    Must-have movies: Dr Strangelove (1964)

Last Updated: 12:01am GMT 08/02/2008

Sheila Johnston discusses Stanley Kubrick's surreal Cold War comedy of errors

Right from the beginning, this film has you on the back foot, as sensuous images of B-52s glide eerily through the sky to a lush string arrangement of Try a Little Tenderness. Made at the height of the Cold War, Dr Strangelove tackles a topic - the end of life as we know it - which might, perhaps, have warranted serious treatment.

Peter Sellers as a half-Nazi mad scientist, one of his three roles in Stanley Kubrick's Dr StrangeloveInstead, its tone is puzzling, unsettling: a surreal comedy of errors played out with a deadly straight face for much of the duration. Peer closely at the small print of the hand-written opening credits and you will see the production company: Hawk Film. Famously attentive to detail, Stanley Kubrick studs the screen with such tiny jokes; slow-burning time bombs that explode only on repeated viewings.

Everyone is drunk on testosterone (there's only one woman, a Playboy model-turned-"secretary"): the nutso officer who orders the attack, with his fixation on "precious bodily fluids"; the Soviet Premier, partying in a Moscow brothel as the world faces extinction; George C Scott's Pentagon General, creaming himself at the thought that, in the post-Doomsday bunker, there will be 10 nubile females for every man. The dim-witted, Texan-accented cowboy, who captains what he calls the "nucular" charge, is a strangely familiar figure.

It is sometimes said that Dr Strangelove, brilliant as it still unquestionably is, has lost its bite. Not at all: it lampoons a crazed warmongering machismo that never goes out of style.

In the throes of a traumatic divorce, Peter Sellers is extraordinary, in a triple-threat performance, as the bald, ineffectual American president, the mad scientist with an uncontrollable bionic hand, and the clipped RAF officer who tries to save the day, but hasn't got the right change for the phone and finds that the White House won't reverse the charges.

advertisement

The amazing War Room set, with its huge circular conference table intended to suggest a poker game, comes courtesy of the great production designer Ken Adam, who squeezed the assignment in between Dr No and Goldfinger. This film is set, however, in a world even James Bond can't rescue.

Liked
    0 times
    Another amazing Kubrick film. I've always wondered how well it would have played with the 'original' ending of a custard-pie fight in the war room. I seem to remember reading somewhere that there was a BFI archive print containing this ending. Can anyone confirm this or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Liked
    151 times
    Was the scene ever filmed? From what I recall there were just production/storyboard stills.

I presume some footage of Sellers as Kong must exist?

Liked
    0 times
    I'm sure I read that it was filmed. I remember reading about it around the time, probably before, of the (Criterion?) Laserdisc release and I looked on the ppackaging to see if it was included as an extra. Mind you Kubrick did shoot alot of stuff and then buried it away in his personal archive.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    sorry never rated Strangelove, I much prefer Fail Safe.

Liked
    0 times
    The custard pie scene was filmed. I think his brother in law Jan Harlan showed the footage in London shortly after his death.

On a related note Kubrick's early film Fear & Desire is being shown at the Barbican on Wednsday 27 Feb.

Liked
    0 times
    Great quote from the film:

"You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie boy
    sorry never rated Strangelove, I much prefer Fail Safe.
    Fail Safe is a very good drama. Strangelove is a completely different kettle of fish. Razor sharp satire. I believe Sellars was originally going to play the Slim Pickens character too.

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    According to the IMDB the only known public screening of the custard pie fight was at the NFT in London in 1999 after Kubricks death, though I don't recall reading anything about that at the time. Interestingly the film was originally due for release on the day that JFK was assassinated and reputedly there is a line during the custard pie fight that says, "our young president has been struck down" as Sellers as the president is hit in the face with a custard pie.

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Velvet
    Fail Safe is a very good drama. Strangelove is a completely different kettle of fish. Razor sharp satire. I believe Sellars was originally going to play the Slim Pickens character too.
    Did you see the Fail Safe remake ?? I have not but it is supposed to be good.

GRAEME
    Quote Originally Posted by stevie boy
    Did you see the Fail Safe remake ?? I have not but it is supposed to be good.
    Let's just hope they never ever try to remake Strangelove!

I love both movies - similar subject and plot but very different approach, tone and impact.

I sometimes wish Sellars hadn't played three characters - he is excellent in all of them but it is rather gimicky and gets in the way. Having said that I don't know which one/s I'd want to lose! He could have relinquished the rather straight RAF officer role to another actor without much impact to the film - but Strangelove and the president are incredible comic creations.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAEME
    Let's just hope they never ever try to remake Strangelove!

I love both movies - similar subject and plot but very different approach, tone and impact.

I sometimes wish Sellars hadn't played three characters - he is excellent in all of them but it is rather gimicky and gets in the way. Having said that I don't know which one/s I'd want to lose! He could have relinquished the rather straight RAF officer role to another actor without much impact to the film - but Strangelove and the president are incredible comic creations.
    Did you know Strangelove is an anagram - see if you can get it

1stas

Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 1stas
    Did you know Strangelove is an anagram - see if you can get it

1stas

I have heard (and have an inkling of what it is)that the full title "Dr Strangelove" is an anagram, do you mean that (including the Dr) or as you have written it? "Strangelove"

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    I assume it is something rude, but I can only think of:

Agent lovers, Great novels, Grave stolen, or... a longer vest, or... even... (my favourite)... real veg snot...

Liked
    0 times
    OK If you include the 'Dr' there is dove strangler and strangest lover. Now I give up so please tell us!

Hey, hey hey, delirium, I have just become a senior member!!!!!!

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by suzepulcheria
    OK If you include the 'Dr' there is dove strangler and strangest lover. Now I give up so please tell us!

Hey, hey hey, delirium, I have just become a senior member!!!!!!
    Congratulations on your promotion to that exalted rank

Steve

Liked
    77 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook
    Well Vivian Darkbloom is played by Marianne Stone in Lolita (1962) so it's an anagram of the author of the book and the writer of the screenplay.

Clever

Steve
    Yep, quite right, Vladimir Nabokov is Vivian Darkbloom..

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Crook
    Congratulations on your promotion to that exalted rank

Steve
    May I just say how terrific I think this forum is. I only joined this year but already I have learned such a lot (e.g. how little I know compared to some of the forum's members), I have tracked down many movies and TV programmes I thought I would never see again, and had lots of silly fun! Thank you all very much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast