Liked
    255 times
    name='FrenchMe']you can see the bigger one on my profile

Do you have another picture?

Bats.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Do we have two threads running on this topic ...

http://filmdope.com/forums/ca...e-picture.html

Bats.

Liked
    1 times
    name='ProfMarcus']It seems an impertinence to put you right on your own country's history, but Damien's intended victim was Louis XV, not XIV.

I think you must indeed mean Elizabeth R. In one episode, Francis Babbington (played by David Collings) has been captured after his failed attempt to assassinate Elizabeth and place Mary on the English throne. There's a scene in the torture chamber of the Tower of London in which the Executioner (Brian Wilde) tells him in great detail what's going to happen to him. We don't in fact see it happen, but the vivid description might well have given a child nightmares.

Didn't Brian Wilde play 'Walsingham' rather than the executioner?

Liked
    0 times
    name='silverwhistle']Yes, but it's Anthony or Antony Babington.

So it is. I grovel corrected.

Didn't Brian Wilde play 'Walsingham' rather than the executioner?

No, Stephen Murray was Walsingham. The executioner's name was Topcliffe, if anyone cares.

Senior Member Country: Scotland silverwhistle's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Even in that version, it's too small to recognise any of the people.

It looks medi�val in setting, rather than 16C, although films don't always get helmets & c right.

Liked
    0 times
    i changed the image in my profile so as to see better the face of the actor in public torture/execution and in my avatar picture to show another scene with, maybe, not sure, the same actor

Liked
    255 times
    It looks like something from one of the Europen pictures like Beatrice Cenci.

Liked
    0 times
    name='batman']It looks like something from one of the Europen pictures like Beatrice Cenci.

nope not that i checked it out already

check the other picture in my profile ... from the same movie

Liked
    255 times
    I did .. it just doesn't look British to me. The photo has the 'look' of a European production. Of course, I may be totally wrong!

Liked
    0 times
    name='batman']I did .. it just doesn't look British to me. The photo has the 'look' of a European production. Of course, I may be totally wrong!

the soldats look english to me... but you are maybe right! but not beatrice cenci

Liked
    255 times
    name='FrenchMe']the soldats look english to me... but you are maybe right! but not beatrice cenci

I know it's not Beatrice Cenci ... I just used that as an example of the type of film I was thinking of.

Senior Member Country: Scotland silverwhistle's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    name='batman']I know it's not Beatrice Cenci ... I just used that as an example of the type of film I was thinking of.

No, definitely not Italian renaissance. French medi�val, I would say. That's why I thought of Les Rois Maudits.

Liked
    0 times
    name='silverwhistle']No, definitely not Italian renaissance. French medi�val, I would say. That's why I thought of Les Rois Maudits.

i know the series les Rois maudits ; it was very prudish : no skin no where

Liked
    0 times
    apparently could be some french or italian movie

Liked
    0 times
    name='ProfMarcus']It seems an impertinence to put you right on your own country's history, but Damien's intended victim was Louis XV, not XIV.

I think you must indeed mean Elizabeth R. In one episode, Francis Babbington (played by David Collings) has been captured after his failed attempt to assassinate Elizabeth and place Mary on the English throne. There's a scene in the torture chamber of the Tower of London in which the Executioner (Brian Wilde) tells him in great detail what's going to happen to him. We don't in fact see it happen, but the vivid description might well have given a child nightmares.

Well then i saw it but this is definitely not the series i remembered : anything else as a english tv series about the beginning of elizabeth's reign but in B&W?

Liked
    0 times
    name='FrenchMe']Well then i saw it but this is definitely not the series i remembered : anything else as a english tv series about the beginning of elizabeth's reign but in B&W?

Could it be that you saw it in b&w because you hadn't yet got hold of a colour television (I didn't get one till1976)?

The only monochrome TV series to feature Liz I that I remember was the Danziger Brothers' Sir Francis Drake, and I don't believe it was that.

Incidentally, does anyone remember The Shadow Of The Tower, a totally forgotten precursor the The 6 Wives Of Henry VIII, starring James Maxwell as Henry VII?

Liked
    255 times
    name='ProfMarcus']

Incidentally, does anyone remember The Shadow Of The Tower, a totally forgotten precursor the The 6 Wives Of Henry VIII, starring James Maxwell as Henry VII?

I remember Shadow of the Tower, especially the scenes leading up to the execution of Perkin Warbeck ... chilling.

Liked
    0 times
    well so far that i can remember: a quite young guy with curly mod-long hair and only wearing pants is tied on a wheel-rack and interrogated by a knight or so... and then at the end the knight just killed him sword in his back

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12