Thread: The Long Arm

Liked
    0 times
    I had a VHS copy of "The Long Arm" (Jack Hawkins et al), which, at the time, was quite difficult to find. At last, it has been released on DVD. I bought a copy online, but I have now had to return it (including the one that was sent in replacement), as there is a problem with the soundtrack.

The "advertising" information regarding the distributors and everything else that is not from the film, is all good, so I know it is not my DVD player. However, the actual sound quality of the film is so poor, it is inaudible, even if the sound is turned up high.

If you're thinking of buying this excellent film on DVD, do be advised; it may be a faulty batch, but it may be the entire run. I've since sent the latest one back for a refund; my VHS copy is very good and I'll make do with that for the time being.

A great pity, as this is an excellent film and I was very much looking forward to a crisp, DVD copy.

Liked
    0 times
    Surely Optimum wouldn't release a DVD with really poor sound quality! :O

It's one I haven;t seen, either; and look forward to seeing it.

Was the film ever released on DVD prior to this?

Liked
    0 times
    As far as I am aware, this is the first DVD release of this film. Previously, it was rather difficult to find on VHS. (As explained in my first post, I managed to get a very good copy of the VHS, although it was quite expensive). It was released in the US under the title of "The Third Key" (which, to my mind, is a more appropriate title). I firstly obtained what I thought was a good quality copy of "The Third Key", only to find it was a poor copy of a copy! That went back pretty sharply.

I'm going to contact Amazon (from which I bought this DVD and I would also like to say their customer service to me on this has been 100% - they sent me a new one on the same day as I reported the error and even paid my postage in advance.)

Fortunately, my VHS copy has transferred to DVD extremely well. Perhaps I ought to offer to sell it to Optimum! At least you can see and hear my copy!

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    If Optimum's copy is that bad perhaps they should have trawled ebay for a decent copy ..... I bought a vhs to dvd-r transfer from there a couple of years ago and the picture and sound are both superb!

Liked
    0 times
    Well, I did offer to let them have a copy of mine, so with all these suggestions, there really is no excuse!

Senior Member Country: England Santonix's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    name='FilmBuffuk']I had a VHS copy of "The Long Arm" (Jack Hawkins et al), which, at the time, was quite difficult to find. At last, it has been released on DVD. I bought a copy online, but I have now had to return it (including the one that was sent in replacement), as there is a problem with the soundtrack.

The "advertising" information regarding the distributors and everything else that is not from the film, is all good, so I know it is not my DVD player. However, the actual sound quality of the film is so poor, it is inaudible, even if the sound is turned up high.

If you're thinking of buying this excellent film on DVD, do be advised; it may be a faulty batch, but it may be the entire run. I've since sent the latest one back for a refund; my VHS copy is very good and I'll make do with that for the time being.

A great pity, as this is an excellent film and I was very much looking forward to a crisp, DVD copy.

I have the same problem with my copy. You can just about here the sound track on full volume, but I have 7 dvd players in the house and if I play it on the 2 I bought recently it works fine, but on the other 5 which are older models, it's hopeless, it also woks fine on my computer. So whats going on then? Any ideas?

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I have also noticed the problem with low sound levels on 'The Long Arm' have tried different

dvd players and with same result = low volume even when volume on tv up high!

Have also contacted Optimum to add to their list of concerned customers,am awaiting a reply

on this.

Liked
    0 times
    So far as I can see, it isn't the DVD player, itself, that is "at fault". If it were, the entire DVD would have poor sound quality, not just the film itself (as I mentioned, the advertising information is very clear.)

I'm sticking to my VHS->DVD copy. Very interesting that others have seen the same problem.

I've written to Amazon (who have been excellent) and asked them to see if they can investigate. Thanks for your replies and interest.

Keep me posted and if you want a decent copy, I just may be able to point you in the right direction!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Bell Bottom George's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    I have just bought this DVD from Play.com and have just watched it. There is nothing wrong at all with the soundtrack on this copy, to the extent that others have noted. Admittedly, (as with all my DVDs though) I did have to turn up the volume slightly on my TV.

Excellent film BTW

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    Hmmm yes awful sound quality on this one, seems amazing that they did not notice. I tried it on a couple of DVD players with the same results. The sound is distorted when music is heard and the volume is set so low you have to turn the TV volume to three-quarters of maximum to hear it. Strange thing though when you play it on the PC although you have to turn the volume up high there too the audio is much better

Senior Member Country: UK bobsterkent's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    Mine arrived today and yes its also bad sound quality! i guess it goes back tommorow

Senior Member Country: UK Geoffers's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    My copy certainly has lower than normal sound volume - I had to turn up the volume on the TV from about a quarter to half maximum - but there was no distortion of any kind. I just assumed it was a soundtrack with a lower than usual volume.

I'm interested to learn if they do admit some kind of fault.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I Have Had Soundtrack Problems With Optimum Before On The Brass Monkey And Three Films On The George Formeby Collection. I Emailed Optimum And Replacements Were Sent Very Quickly. I Have Just Received The Long Arm But Have Yet To Play It.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='SEXTON BLAKE']I Have Had Soundtrack Problems With Optimum Before On The Brass Monkey And Three Films On The George Formeby Collection. I Emailed Optimum And Replacements Were Sent Very Quickly. I Have Just Received The Long Arm But Have Yet To Play It.

The Brass Monkey is an Odeon release.

Liked
    0 times
    Thank You Batman, Yes I Remembered After Posting That The Brass Monkey Came From Odeon. I Tried The Long Arm Yesterday And It Has The Fault Mentioned Above.

At Least It Had Some Sort Of Sound On It, One Of The Formbey Collection Had None!

Liked
    0 times
    AND I QUOTE

Here is a reply from our authoring house:

‘Although the audio level is lower than a modern film that benefits from a wide dynamic range and full theatrical mix the levels are by no means low enough to be inaduible or too low to hear.

I've tried the disc a 4 different set ups here and found the audio playback to be satisfactory, yes you need to turn it up a little more than normal but after watching a selection of scenes haven't found any areas too quiet to here - on our amp set up the audio was level and loud across the board.’

I hope this helps.

Liked
    0 times
    I think there is some confusion here, from some of you. Firstly, it is encouraging that some of you have good copies, where the sound quality is acceptable. However, what I experienced and mentioned, was not merely just having to turn the volume up (which I do know does happen). The quality of the soundtrack was so poor that, when I turned the sound up, it was very badly distorted.

I have a number of DVD players/re-writers, all of which are quite new and in good order (I even ran a laser lens cleaner on them, just in case).

It is not easy to explain, without someone actually witnessing what occurred. However, certainly in my case, it was not just a question of turning the volume of the TV up, because it merely distorted the sound and, in any event, the volume did not increase significantly. It was almost as though there were two volume controls; on on the DVD and the other on the TV.

I'm still very pleased with the copy I have from my VHS tape (which was new when I bought it and I have only played once), so I'll continue to enjoy this fine film from that!

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    Regarding the dvd of The Long Arm,this is most certainly down to a production error and I suggest you ask for replacement asap.

I have actually bought dvds (from HMV amongst others ) that had no audio on them at all and when played on another player or pc still has no sound so production errors do happen.

Liked
    0 times
    As I explained earlier, my copy went back to Amazon.co.uk (who were very quick and efficient). They replaced the original but, unfortunately, the replacement had the same defect, so that went back as well and I decided not to bother again.

Liked
    0 times
    I was fortunate to get a copy of this film from a rental company and had no problems whatsoever with the sound quality, but in the post I have found different disks seem to respond differently in different players.

I have a copy of �The Maggie� which plays perfectly well on my DVD player/recorder but on the computer or my portable player the sound is very poor.