Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    Following on from the remake thread I do prefer `The haunting` 1963 to the remake with Catherine Zeta Jones. I will be watching the origional tonight.

To me black and white are always the best suspense and horror films, I wonder why that is, creepier because they are old so more mysterious? Whatever the storyline they seem to have more more atmosphere.

What are your thoughts? Black and white or colour for you and why?

Liked
    151 times
    Black-and-white everytime if you're looking for spooky atmosphere. My favourites would be Hammer's homages to Les Diaboliques, especially Taste of Fear. Also the likes of Night of the Eagle and the foggy atmosphere of noirs like The October Man.

Liked
    0 times
    This is one of the most disturbing films I have ever watched ! B/W + subtle understatement and suggestion of terror always work best for me.

Jax

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    B/W for me too. You cannot beat the kind of atmosphere created by B/W, especially when the lighting and set designers are on good form.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    name='batman']B/W for me too. You cannot beat the kind of atmosphere created by B/W, especially when the lighting and set designers are on good form.

You cannot beat old black and white films, and yes Bats, you are absolutely right about the atmosphere. Night of the Eagle,Dead of Night and Night of the Demon to illustrate your point exactly.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    I think the original 'The Haunting' is one of the best films I've ever seen. I'm not sure colour or the lack of it, is either here or there. Stuff is either good or not. The remake was not.

What precise magic Robert Wise conspired to create I know not, but it was black and white magic!

Liked
    0 times
    I am not certain why B&W opens the creepy veins in me, but it certainly runs stronger. I've seen a number of B&W creepies for the first time in the last 5 years (like The Haunting, The Uninvited) and despite having seen the modern C-Zeta-J effort first, The Haunting captivated my attention even on the small screen far more effectively. Maybe it wasn't just the shadows and light, but the quality of the performances and everything else. I had no complaints about C-Z-J's version up to that point except a thinning memory of it. I've seen THE HAUNTING several times since then and it always etched itself as a more memorable work.

Liked
    120 times
    I've just thought of The Others as an example of a similarly very good film. You could just imagine that, having been made in black and white, but it wasn't.

Liked
    1 times
    name='Moor Larkin']I think the original 'The Haunting' is one of the best films I've ever seen. I'm not sure colour or the lack of it, is either here or there. Stuff is either good or not. The remake was not.

What precise magic Robert Wise conspired to create I know not, but it was black and white magic!

Good point Moor about stuff is either good or not

BUT Danger Man was crap in Colour, but great in Black & White

Liked
    0 times
    Yes, good one. I think the Dark-Light issues were effectively used. White sheets draped over things were frequently used. Although I'd never mind seeing Kidman in full-color, this is a film that stands out because of lights and shadows, not the color of her lips or curtains.

Liked
    120 times
    name='stevie boy']BUT Danger Man was crap in Colour, but great in Black & White
    I only half agree...... Shinda Shima was crap, but Koroshi was fine..........

Banned Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    Watch the Original Gaslight to the remake and you can see why black and white works and colour does not,

Oh!! and include The Spiral Staircase and The Dark Mirror as well.

Liked
    1 times
    name='Moor Larkin']I only half agree...... Shinda Shima was crap, but Koroshi was fine..........

I enjoyed Ronald Howard in Koroshi and the scene amongst the dolls was spooky, ok, it was not too bad, Shinda Shima was a cheap version of Doctor No. I was only joking anyway, The Haunting is available at a very cheap price, is it really that good. I am thinking of getting it plus the Legend of Hell House which,as you know, is very similar. Has Mr. McGoohan hit 80 yet ???

Liked
    120 times
    name='stevie boy']I enjoyed Ronald Howard in Koroshi and the scene amongst the dolls was spooky, ok, it was not too bad, Shinda Shima was a cheap version of Doctor No. I was only joking anyway, The Haunting is available at a very cheap price, is it really that good. I am thinking of getting it plus the Legend of Hell House which,as you know, is very similar. Has Mr. McGoohan hit 80 yet ???
    Oh yes. Patrick McGoohan was brilliant in Shinda Shima. It was just the plot and that awful bren-gun scene..... scarred me. I saw the end of 'You Only Live Twice' the other weekend on TV, and that looked more Shindy to me (but I'm not sure what came first)

BTW. Hate to argue.... ..... but the Legend of Hill House was nothing like The Haunting, other than that it took place in an old house. It's got Michael Gough's voice in it, so that's worth the effort I suppose......

PS. I don't think Patrick McGoohan plays golf..... Maybe someone knows different.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='Amethyst_Isle']Watch the Original Gaslight to the remake and you can see why black and white works and colour does not,

Oh!! and include The Spiral Staircase and The Dark Mirror as well.

And any of Welles' B/W films, plus Carol Reed's The Third Man.

Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    I don't think that there was ever a film that scared me as much as the original THE HAUNTING. As terrifying as I found it, except for the thing with the door, you never saw anything. It was all in your mind. Great work by Robert Wise.

I always say that if I were to go back to my hometown cinema and look at the seat I sat in, I'd find my fingerprints still embedded in the underside of the arms after all these years. That's how tight I was holding on.

Liked
    1 times
    name='batman']And any of Welles' B/W films, plus Carol Reed's The Third Man.

could not imagine the The Third Man in colour, great film

Liked
    0 times
    name='Amethyst_Isle']Watch the Original Gaslight to the remake and you can see why black and white works and colour does not,

Erm ... wasn't the remake in black and white as well?

Gaslight (1944)

Liked
    1 times
    name='Moor Larkin']Oh yes. Patrick McGoohan was brilliant in Shinda Shima. It was just the plot and that awful bren-gun scene..... scarred me. I saw the end of 'You Only Live Twice' the other weekend on TV, and that looked more Shindy to me (but I'm not sure what came first)

BTW. Hate to argue.... ..... but the Legend of Hill House was nothing like The Haunting, other than that it took place in an old house. It's got Michael Gough's voice in it, so that's worth the effort I suppose......

PS. I don't think Patrick McGoohan plays golf..... Maybe someone knows different.

Moor, just got around to looking at this thread again, The Haunting is available at �2.99 delivered at Play .com. Anyway, The Legend of Hell House & The Haunting are very similar in my view, I guess we will have to disagree.

Liked
    120 times
    name='stevie boy']Moor, The Legend of Hell House & The Haunting are very similar in my view
    Oh No They're Not!!

They are plotted after a similar fashion but the Legend film is a do it by numbers pretence of science in pursuit of ghosties, all mixed in with cod psychology...

.......whereas..........

The Haunting..........

scares the bloody pants off you!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast