Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Saw this one on tv in the mid/late 1970s I think. I've always assumed it's a Doug McClure-type thing though I don't know the actual actors. All I can remember is the final scene (I think it was the final scene) with hero and heroine (possibly in Victorian clothes) in a balloon. They reluctantly jettison all the treasure/ballast and when they are flying safely the heroine reveals she's had a diamond in her mouth all along. Kiss and fade out.

Liked
    151 times
    Yep I'm sure it's Troy McClure, weren't they spotting during the US Civil War?

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    People that Time Forgot??

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    name='DB7']Yep I'm sure it's Troy McClure, weren't they spotting during the US Civil War?

You're not thinking of the Michael Craig thing, Mysterious Island I think??

Liked
    492 times
    Good suggestions which sound very plausible. However all I can remember is the final scene so I don't know whether you're right (though presumably there was buried treasure and pterodactyls and comedy natives earlier on). Does the balloon ring a bell with anyone?

Liked
    151 times
    name='penfold']You're not thinking of the Michael Craig thing, Mysterious Island I think??
    I think I am.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Is it the one with the big drill .... At The Earth's Core?

Liked
    492 times
    Mysterious Island sounds completely awesome but according to wikipedia they escape on a pirate ship and the balloon is earlier. But I'm sure it's the ending that I remember (it would have been a bit odd halfway through)

Liked
    0 times
    Try FIVE WEEKS IN A BALLOON based on the Jules Verne novel. Just a guess.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    it could be 'Off on a comet' where a balloonist, the crew of a Victoria Steam ship and various other people end up on a comet which passes close to earth (Yes try explaining that one in science class)

Its not mysterious Island, the scene with the ballon is at the beginning and the women in that film never get in the Balloon.

It's not 'Too The Earths Core', as the final shot is of the mole machine coming out of the ground at Buckingham Palace, and again there is no treasure recovered in that film.

I can't help thinking the last scene that you describe is similar to that of 'Beyond The Poseidon Adventure' where Sally Field shows Michael Caine that she has hidden a Diamond all along (Thus making the journey, and all those deaths of innocent people worthwhile, lol ) obviously its not that film either (No balloon, wrong time peroid)

Liked
    0 times
    I suspect this may be The Island At The Top Of The World (1974). It was an airship, not a balloon, but they do escape in it once they've thrown out the engines. I've seen it, and I've also seen a girl with a diamond in her teeth, so who knows? They might be the same film.

Liked
    492 times
    All fab suggestions. I saw it on telly c1975 so maybe it was a much earlier film. Or I have misremembered the balloon (obviously I was very young at the time!). I'm absolutely sure I remember a hanging basket but that could have been from an airship rather than a balloon. But clearly I'm going to have a McCluretastic time going through all these films for purely educational reasons!

I'll just have to hope it wasn't some rubbishy tv movie that's never been seen since.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Did the McClure epics get a TV airing as early as 1975?

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    name='ProfMarcus']I suspect this may be The Island At The Top Of The World (1974). It was an airship, not a balloon, but they do escape in it once they've thrown out the engines. I've seen it, and I've also seen a girl with a diamond in her teeth, so who knows? They might be the same film.

Maybe you saw a girl with a diamond in her teeth in real life.

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    I like NappieB's suggestion the best.

Five Weeks in a Balloon (1962) - IMDb user comments

Liked
    0 times
    name='JamesM']Maybe you saw a girl with a diamond in her teeth in real life.

If I had, the last 30 years would have been SOOOOOOOOO different . . .

Liked
    492 times
    Thought I'd revive this one since we have lots of new members since I first posted. To summarise, I saw it on tv c1975 and I would guess it was something Troy McClure-ish but I don't think they would have been on telly at that point. All I remember is a Victorian-looking couple ditching ballast from a balloon-basket including the treasure and the clever lady revealing at the end that she'd hidden a jewel in her mouth. Of course it might have been a tv movie rather than a proper film. But it's not Mysterious Island or Five Weeks in a Balloon because I've checked those.

Senior Member Country: UK Mr Sloane's Avatar
    Liked
    239 times
    name='CaptainWaggett' date='12 July 2010 - 07:26 PM' timestamp='1278959198' post='450950']

Thought I'd revive this one since we have lots of new members since I first posted. To summarise, I saw it on tv c1975 and I would guess it was something Troy McClure-ish but I don't think they would have been on telly at that point. All I remember is a Victorian-looking couple ditching ballast from a balloon-basket including the treasure and the clever lady revealing at the end that she'd hidden a jewel in her mouth. Of course it might have been a tv movie rather than a proper film. But it's not Mysterious Island or Five Weeks in a Balloon because I've checked those.

I don't know the film but it does remind me of a joke about Princess Anne,Princess Di and Fergy

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    You would think a movie like that someone would now. There can't be a whole lot of Victorian era hot air balloon movies.

Liked
    492 times
    name='will.15' date='12 July 2010 - 07:35 PM' timestamp='1278959734' post='450953']

You would think a movie like that someone would now. There can't be a whole lot of Victorian era hot air balloon movies.

Though it would be awesome if there were

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast