Senior Member Country: England wideboy's Avatar
    Liked
    3 times
    This very rarely seen 1962 Soho crime film starring Anthony Newley and a host of stalwart supporting players - including the wonderful Toni Palmer - is being shown at the NFT/BFI Southbank on Thursday 24 April AT 20.00, NFT 1.

There are also a couple of interesting Soho-themed shorts, and co-star Julia Foster is promised for a post-screening Q&A.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    I'm siting here all crinkly mouthed in NYC, been wanting to see this one for ages. Not released on DVD or video, I understand. Hopefullyn someone will post a review.

Liked
    13 times
    Just learned a couple of things. The cinematographer for "The Small World OF Sammy Lee" and "Get Carter"were the same man - Wolfgang (AKA Wolf) Suschitzky. Also according to a chap on IMDB there was a new print of "Sammy Lee" (with German subtitles) shown in Austria late 2006/ early 2007 as part of a Suschitzky retrospective. Anyone know anything ?

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Yes I remember the theme ' Gurney Slade' by Max Harris it was released as a single at the time and entered the charts. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for a DVD release of 'The Small World Of Sammy Lee'

Liked
    13 times
    Did anyone get to see this ? My excuse is that the New York City Transit System doesn't stop at the Southbank.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='billy bentley']Did anyone get to see this ? My excuse is that the New York City Transit System doesn't stop at the Southbank.

The main subway doesn't go as far as the South Bank, you have to take the Staten Island Railway. I hear they've extended it a bit

Steve

Liked
    13 times
    Wideboy,

"Public Domain" copies do come up on Ebay and some mebers here have copies to trade. But mine is of only "so so" quality. How was the print at the BFI ?

Liked
    3 times
    name='billy bentley']"Public Domain" copies do come up on Ebay and some members here have copies to trade. But mine is of only "so so" quality. How was the print at the BFI ?

The programme was presented by two curators from Britain's National Film Archive, so I assume that's where the excellent print came from.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I love this film but only own a bad copy bought on ebay, did anybody at the screening mention if this was up for a DVD release ?

Liked
    13 times
    As mentioned on this thread in February, there was a new print made for a German retrospective, so lets hope that can be used for a DVD release. Is there anyone we can lobby ?

Liked
    3 times
    BFI South Bank is showing this excellent film again on Thursday 12 March at 14.00 in NFT 2, and if you're over sixty you can get in free as it's one of their seniors' matinees.

The screening will be introduced by the producer of the film, Frank Godwin.