Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    85
    Liked
    0 times
    One of my all time faves. I remember staying at my uncles house and me and my cousins, were allowed to stay up on new years eve to watch it, I was maybe aged 9or 10, so it was a huge treat for me, as my parents were strictly "its nine o clock, time for your bed" types.



    I remember the visceral thrill of seeing the horned beast appear at the ceromany in the forest. With the deliciously evil Charles Gray as Mocata, and Christopher Lee on the side of good just to confuse you. This was probably the best adaption of a Denis Wheatley book to get to screen. Also maybe the last "big" film from Hammer before its sad and long 1970s decline.



    I have decided to get a "proper" dvd of it, does anyone have any recommendations as to the best one ? There appear to be no Criterion collection of it.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,386
    Liked
    7 times
    Assuming you are from the UK the best R2 DVD is the Anolis one from Germany which has a lee commentary track (it has the same extras as the US Anchor bay release).

  3. #3
    Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    27,595
    Liked
    255 times
    There are a couple available on amazon.co.uk.



    This first one is the Anchor Bay edition which I borrowed from the library a while ago. It's a good clean print and the sound quality was good too.



    The second one is from Optimum. I haven't viewed that one but the dvds I have from Optimum are pretty good quality.



    Amazon.co.uk: the devil rides out: DVD

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    85
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by m35541
    Assuming you are from the UK the best R2 DVD is the Anolis one from Germany which has a lee commentary track (it has the same extras as the US Anchor bay release).
    Thanks for the info. Unfortunately Anolis charge over �30 for it on amazon, as im sure they know they have a superior item. I would love a copy with the Christopher Lee audio track, but not at that price. Maybe it will be found on Usenet sometime soon.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Country: Canada
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    679
    Liked
    0 times
    Did you try Amazon.de? That's where I got my Anolis edition, and it was a moderate price - about �9 or �10.



    Great film, by the way. It and Dracula are my two favourite Hammer films. Terence Fisher is on top form with this one; it's just one memorable sequence after another.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Country: England Santonix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    989
    Liked
    3 times
    One of the very best. I often watch it.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    32
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by zandycap
    One of my all time faves. I remember staying at my uncles house and me and my cousins, were allowed to stay up on new years eve to watch it, I was maybe aged 9or 10, so it was a huge treat for me, as my parents were strictly "its nine o clock, time for your bed" types.


    Hi - I remember watching it first in similar circumstances at roughly the same age. Probably that very same new year's eve. Left a deep impression on me too. Fell hopelessly in love with Christopher Lee and wanted to be re-named Tanith! Marvellous stuff.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    8,865
    Liked
    69 times
    Correct me if I'm wrong,but was it the only film that CL was a goodie?

    My brother read the book many years ago and he said it was the scariest book he had ever read. Didn't Dennis Wheatley warn his readers not to get involved in devil worshipping?

    Ta Ta

    Marky B

  9. #9
    Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    5,207
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Marky B
    Correct me if I'm wrong,but was it the only film that CL was a goodie?

    My brother read the book many years ago and he said it was the scariest book he had ever read. Didn't Dennis Wheatley warn his readers not to get involved in devil worshipping?

    Ta Ta

    Marky B
    DW does in various writings warn of the dangers of the left-hand path as he called it. The book is IMHO one of his best and is one of the few still in print. He is very much out of fashion now despite having been a best-selling author from the 30s to the 70s. He has been surprisingly little filmed despite the excellent TDRO. The film version of To The Devil A Daughter is said to have undone his confidence in filmakers and prevented further films being made. Agatha Christie has survived I would guess because of the TV and film adaptationsn which have proliferated over the last 30 years as well as cracking the American market which I am not sure Wheatley ever did. Some of his books would film well and contain plots which despite his rough writing skills still make compelling reading. His attitudes are now hard to take by modern standards - ultra-rightwing, racist, homophobic, xenophobic, anti-semitic and generally snobbish - but despite that he could write a real page turner.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Country: Canada
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    679
    Liked
    0 times
    Certainly it was one of the few films in which Christopher Lee played the good guy. Can't think of many others offhand. It was also one of his best performances - from an actor who has a pretty limited acting range, in my opinion, at least compared to his long-time co-star, Peter Cushing.



    There appear to be no Criterion collection of it.
    I don't know of any Hammer film that has had the Criterion treatment, but it's about time, isn't it?

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    85
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rattigan
    Certainly it was one of the few films in which Christopher Lee played the good guy. Can't think of many others offhand. It was also one of his best performances - from an actor who has a pretty limited acting range, in my opinion, at least compared to his long-time co-star, Peter Cushing.



    I don't know of any Hammer film that has had the Criterion treatment, but it's about time, isn't it?
    Christopher Lee played the good guy several times, as Sherlock Holmes, Sherlock Holmes and the Leading Lady. Sherlock Holmes: Incident at Victoria Falls and once as his brother Mycroft (The Private life of Sherlock Holmes) remember ? :)

  12. #12
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,732
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rattigan
    Certainly it was one of the few films in which Christopher Lee played the good guy. Can't think of many others offhand. It was also one of his best performances - from an actor who has a pretty limited acting range, in my opinion, at least compared to his long-time co-star, Peter Cushing.
    He was approximately on the side of the angels in The Battle of the River Plate where he played Manolo, the owner of the waterfront bar in Buenos Aires. He had to pretend to be angry but it was really quite a comic role



    He was less good in Ill Met By Moonlight where he played a German soldier who visited the dentist where Dirk Bogarde was a patient - so Dirk had to shoot him



    Steve

  13. #13
    Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    25,718
    Liked
    492 times
    Isn't he a Friendly Native in Storm Over the Nile? And his Uncredited Extra in Olivier's Hamlet doesn't really get much of a chance to serve the Anti-Christ.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    4,269
    Liked
    85 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rattigan
    Certainly it was one of the few films in which Christopher Lee played the good guy. Can't think of many others offhand. It was also one of his best performances - from an actor who has a pretty limited acting range, in my opinion, at least compared to his long-time co-star, Peter Cushing.
    The Hound of the Baskervilles

    The Man Who Could Cheat Death

    The Gorgon

    The Skull

    Night of the Big Heat

    Hannie Caulder

    Horror Express

    Nothing But the Night




    are a few where he was the 'good' guy.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Country: England
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    187
    Liked
    0 times
    got to agree one of the very best, I had a super 8mm edited film version of The Devil Rides Out before DVD it was the pride of my film collection. Now on DVD

    Regards Chris B

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    85
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dremble wedge


    The Hound of the Baskervilles

    The Man Who Could Cheat Death

    The Gorgon

    The Skull

    Night of the Big Heat

    Hannie Caulder

    Horror Express

    Nothing But the Night




    are a few where he was the 'good' guy.
    Ah yes i had forgot about Night of the big heat he plays a scientist investigating the strange goings on, about the island.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    20
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm admittedly a big Hammer (and British horror in general) fan, but this is by any measure a fine film. It's true--some of the performances are only adequate. But the script is excellent, the use of color and the score outstanding, and the lead performances are remarkable. It's a classic good v. evil story, and suspensful throughout. My partner, who is hardly a genre fan, loved it--and that's saying quite a bit. Is it the best Hammer product? Perhaps not, but it's certainly one of the very best.

  18. #18
    Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    29,732
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by JTurner
    I'm admittedly a big Hammer (and British horror in general) fan, but this is by any measure a fine film. It's true--some of the performances are only adequate. But the script is excellent, the use of color and the score outstanding, and the lead performances are remarkable. It's a classic good v. evil story, and suspensful throughout. My partner, who is hardly a genre fan, loved it--and that's saying quite a bit. Is it the best Hammer product? Perhaps not, but it's certainly one of the very best.
    It's a good film and is very well made with very good effects (for the time).



    The story itself is a bit dubious, but that's Dennis Wheatley for you



    Steve

  19. #19
    Banned Country: UK
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,452
    Liked
    6 times
    Let us just hope that Hollywood does not get their paws on The Devil Rides Out,who knows what they would do to it.

  20. #20
    Senior Member moonfleet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,659
    Liked
    144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Amethyst_Isle
    Let us just hope that Hollywood does not get their paws on The Devil Rides Out,who knows what they would do to it.
    Please, don't give them ideas !!



    Moon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Devil Rides Out
    By cassidy in forum Films on TV
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16-12-11, 08:24 PM
  2. Ramsbottom Rides Again (1956)
    By arty-dave in forum Looking for a Video/DVD (Film)
    Replies: 169
    Last Post: 16-04-10, 12:03 PM
  3. The Devil Rides Out
    By stevie boy in forum Film Locations
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-03-09, 08:51 PM
  4. The Devil Rides Out on DVD
    By Hackett in forum Latest DVD Releases
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 16-09-04, 08:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts