Thread: The Snow Queen

Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone else remember a British television feature-length version of Hans Christian Andersen's "The Snow Queen?" I saw it in the 1980's on PBS tv in the U.S.. It was a videotaped production and might have been part of the "Wonderworks" series (which was a sort of "Masterpiece Theatre" for children).

I've been looking for a long time for information on this production. Imdb doesn't seem to have it listed. As far as production values, it reminded me of "The Box of Delights" or, later, the Narnia adaptations--so I'm fairly sure it was a British production. But maybe it wasn't? Could it have even been dubbed and I didn't notice?

Anyone have any ideas on this? I remember being enraptured by it.

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    Only version I remember from that era was the 1966 Russian version, that seemed to be on British TV all the time in the '80s (but hardly ever since).

I have it on DVD now - Russian-produced, but it has English dubbing and/or subtitles. I generally hate watching foreign films that have been dubbed into English, but with this I make an exception, since it's a film I grew up loving, and it's the only version I've ever known.

Can't find the R0/R2 version offhand, but here's a link to the R1: Amazon.co.uk: Snow Queen [1966] (REGION 1) (NTSC): Yelena Proklova,Slawa Zjupa,Yevgeniya Melnikova,Natalya Klimova,Nikolai Boyarsky,Evgeni Leonov,Irina Gubanova,Georgi Korolchuk,Olga Vikland,Era Ziganshina,Valeri Nikitenko,Andrei Kostrichkin,Gennadi

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Dave--I purchased the Russian version a few years ago--but alas, that wasn't it. I distinctly remember this version being done on videotape, not film.