Liked
    0 times
    The track that accompanies the masked ball scene is truly the most bizarre piece of music that I've ever subjected my ears to. Its err.. well completely indescribable. I believe it was created by playing backwards spoken mantras by two Romanian priests. Bit of an odd question but, can anyone suggest anything similar sounding to this magical piece?

For those that haven't seen Eyes Wide Shut (and there can't be many that haven't) I'd much rather you listen to the music in context with the film but here it is anyway:

YouTube - masked ball jocelyn pook

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    0 times
    I've known the music of Ms Pook for many a year. She appears regularly in film and theatre, inluding Gangs of New York and Jarman's Edward II. She won an Olivier this year for the sound design of St Joan at the National Theatre.

The Masked Ball is from her album Flood - it's well worth getting if you like ethereal music. Likewise the album Untold Things.

Not exactly the same but full of wild and evocative vocals is Flamma Flamma (Fire Requiem) by Flemish composer Nicholas Lens. There are some sound samples at Amazon - A truly amazing requiem!

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    You've led a sheltered life! Try Thomas K�ner, Aphex Twin, Dome, Simon Fisher Turner, Coil, Psychic TV, Cabaret Voltaire, Laibach, Clock DVA, AC Marias, Boyd Rice/Non, Bj�rk, Boards of Canada, Gavin Bryars, Einst�rzende Neubauten, Brain Eno, Arvo P�rt, Henryk Gorecki, Flying Saucer Attack, Jan Garbarek and the Hilliard Ensemble, The Hafler Trio, Loop Guru, Le Myst�re des voix Bulgares, M�rta Sebesty�n, Nijiumu, Gy�rgy Ligeti, Sir John Tavener, Popol Vuh, Terry Riley, Paul Sch�tze, Sigur R�s, 23 Skidoo.

Nick

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    I enjoy Arvo Part and Gorecki (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs is awesome). Check out Preisner's tribute to Kryslowski .... magnificent.

Liked
    0 times
    Fabulous! Thanks for that, both the link to youtube, Dandywell and to Nick for the list of similar composers. As a long term listener to Radio 3's Late Junction (not so much now as it starts so late), I have heard several of them and I'm particularly fond of Boards of Canada, Gorecki, Jan Garbarek and the Hilliards not to forget Ozric Tentacles, those wonders of the festival circuit. I think [youtube]ZGqkq_nNwO8[/youtube] "Jesus Blood never failed me" is one of the best pieces of music composed in recent times. I remember hearing for the first time and sat spellbound in the car until it finished. I will now have to go and track down all those other composers. Thank you Nck.

Liked
    0 times
    Sorry, I think something went wrong when I clicked "youtube" I was trying to direct you to Gavin Bryars on it and the clip of "Jesus Blood" with the wonderful Tom Waites singing along with the tramp. Hope you manage to find it, it's worth a listen.

Liked
    0 times
    name='batman']I enjoy Arvo Part and Gorecki (Symphony of Sorrowful Songs is awesome). Check out Preisner's tribute to Kryslowski .... magnificent.

I agree - Henryk Gorecki - truly amazing - the best version of this, in my opinion, is with the London Sinfonietta - David Zinman, conductor and Dawn Upshaw, soprano.

On a different note - Sigur Ros - Icelandic band - invigorating!

Liked
    0 times
    If you haven't already heard it, give this a bash: YouTube - Ennio Morricone - Once upon a time in the West

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='1stas']

On a different note - Sigur Ros - Icelandic band - invigorating!

Check out Finnish band Nightwish ... opera metal. An acquired taste but very worthwhile.

Liked
    0 times
    name='batman']Check out Finnish band Nightwish ... opera metal. An acquired taste but very worthwhile.

Will do

William Orbit - Pieces in a Modern Style - truly awesome!

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    I must confess that after the masked ball business was over, I finally gave up on this movie - it was a late showing, and I turned off and went to bed. One of the things that was annoying me was that Kubrick seemed to be dreaming up some old man's overblown erotic fancy about slender young women and expecting me to take it all seriously as movie motivation......

Today I was reading about the IMF chief in the weekend paper, and it made my eyes wide open.....
    Were they to venture inside ‘Les Chandelles’, a squalid ‘swingers’’ club near the Louvre which Strauss-Kahn is said to have frequented before his arrest, perhaps they might view him differently. When I visited this favourite haunt of debauched Parisian ‘libertines’ on Wednesday night, a muscle-bound doorman instructed me to replace my jacket with a long black cloak and don a silver eye mask. Then he ushered me down a winding staircase, into a labyrinthine, mirrored boudoir with walls upholstered in crimson velvet. Even by Parisian standards, the scenes I witnessed were depraved, with satanic overtones. As loud, hypnotic music throbbed, two scantily-clad pole-dancers caressed one another, while pot-bellied, middle-aged men — masked and gowned — fondled young girls. But the most sickening acts took place in the back-parlour, where several couples were embroiled in a full-blown orgy. Strauss-Kahn is said to have been photographed making a furtive exit from this vice den.
    Dominique Strauss-Kahn: How France hid the sleazy truth about the rutting chimpanzee | Mail Online

So, was Kubrick merely making reportage ? ....... in which case I owe him an apology...
    Or has Kubrick's fantasy inspired this French sex club.... and if so, are they paying movie royalties ??.....
    Last edited by Moor Larkin; 21-05-11 at 11:10 PM.

Senior Member Country: Afghanistan
    Liked
    46 times
    From Delia Derbyshire Dr Who theme creator

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6pTdzt7BiI