Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Does anyone know of any existing footage of Raymond of Mayfair aka Mr Teasy Weasy. Aplogies but I'm not sure of the spelling.

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    No, you're correct, Mayfair is spelt correctly!

Judging by a quick search on Google, Teasy Weasy is the right spelling.

Nick

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='billy bentley']Does anyone know of any existing footage of Raymond of Mayfair aka Mr Teasy Weasy. Aplogies but I'm not sure of the spelling.

It could be worth searching the old newsreel footage at sites like Movietone or Pathe news.

They both offer free access for low quality versions or you can pay (not a huge amount) for higher quality versions

Steve

Liked
    13 times
    Didn't Sellers play a Raymond of Mayfair type character in this one ?

Liked
    13 times
    Sorry all forgot to mention the title "THE WRONG ARM OF THE LAW".

Liked
    13 times
    Cheers Crookie, I found three clips (ouch !) on Pathe News, I'd stick them on this post but sadly I haven't a clue how to do it.

Liked
    418 times
    name='billy bentley']Didn't Sellers play a Raymond of Mayfair type character in this one ?

Norman Wisdom did (sort of) in On the Beat (1962).

He played a dual role, Norman "the gump" who wanted to become a policeman like his dad was. And a mincing hairdresser who was really a criminal mastermind.

Norman impersonates the hairdresser, after being taught how to mince by big butch David Lodge

Steve

Liked
    13 times
    If "On The Beat" is '62 then Sellers played a very similar character - a crook pulling a Teasie Weasie, In Wrong Arm of the Law" after Norman Wisdom. Always possible they were shot at almost the same time.

Liked
    418 times
    name='billy bentley']If "On The Beat" is '62 then Sellers played a very similar character - a crook pulling a Teasie Weasie, In Wrong Arm of the Law" after Norman Wisdom. Always possible they were shot at almost the same time.
    Almost, The Wrong Arm of the Law was made in 1963 so could have been made after On the Beat had been released, certainly after it had been filmed.

Maybe Galton & Simpson and the others saw it or heard what they were doing before writing The Wrong Arm of the Law. Or maybe they both thought of the same thing independently. Either is possible

Steve

Liked
    13 times
    Crookie, or anyone else, any idea what the turnaround time from shoot to release would have been for a British film circa '62-'63 ?

Liked
    418 times
    name='billy bentley']Crookie, or anyone else, any idea what the turnaround time from shoot to release would have been for a British film circa '62-'63 ?

Usually 6-9 months for a main feature film.

Steve

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    I'd rather chew my own ears off than watch a horse-race so I can't tell you if this clip actually includes Mr T-W but here's his nag winning the National

Liked
    13 times
    Thanks Cap'n W. Quite a race, but I didn't spot Raymond. Still interesting to hear Teasie Weasie was partners with Lester Piggott's old man and they won the National !

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Raymond 'Teasy-Weasy' Bessone, who I think looked a bit like John 'Acid Bath' Haig, was the first man to publicly announce he was gay, certainly on TV. Unfortunately he made a mess of his big moment, if you excuse the terminology, when he declared: "I am homosexuality"! Realising his mistake, he then laughed like a girl ... which didn't suit his urbane and debonair look. It reminds me of the pop singer who 'came out' in the 80s: "Oh yes, I'm gay*. I've done all that" (what could he have meant? ). I can never remember if it was Johnny Mathis or Freddie Mercury! Bit of a difference, I know, but it was at about the same time.

*Oddly enough, Freddie sang "Oh yes, I'm The Great Pretender"

As for the lesbian 'angle' (! ), the famous photographer and My Fair Lady costume designer Cecil Beaton might have been the first to use that word ('lesbian' not 'angle'). I remember seeing an extract of some photocall that he was posing for, where he was in his garden I think, and the photographer goaded him into repeating "lesbian" rather than"cheese". Several times infact. He looked like he was enjoying himself, more than I have with lesbians, but I never did find out what was going on in that bizarre sequence.

Another 'lesbian' reference I enjoyed was when the great Beryl Reid was interviewed by Terry Wogan. They might have been discussing her living alone (although she was surrounded by cats) or never marrying. At one point, Beryl muttered, as if quoting from a newspaper headline, "I Am Not A Lesbian, says Beryl Reid". Was there some gossip about her that she made a mental note of? That's how it appeared to me anyway. It was if she was saying "I haven't forgotten those bastards"!

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    name='billy bentley']If "On The Beat" is '62 then Sellers played a very similar character - a crook pulling a Teasie Weasie, In Wrong Arm of the Law" after Norman Wisdom. Always possible they were shot at almost the same time.

Pete was doing 'Maison Jules' a haute couture cover for his jewel stealing activities in WRONG ARM. Very similar to Norm's Guilio Napoletani in ON THE BEAT, but not quite so camp...

Smudge

Liked
    0 times
    According to the 1978 'Crossroads Special Souvenir Issue' magazine, Teazy Weazy played Monsieur Fabrice, a hairstylist demonstrating at Miss Vera's salon in the motel in the 1970s! I'm guessing his episodes no longer exist, as the current chronological DVD release has not featured him, and the character of Vera has now left the series...

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    name='cornershop15']Raymond 'Teasy-Weasy' Bessone, who I think looked a bit like John 'Acid Bath' Haig, was the first man to publicly announce he was gay, certainly on TV. Unfortunately he made a mess of his big moment, if you excuse the terminology, when he declared: "I am homosexuality"! Realising his mistake, he then laughed like a girl ... which didn't suit his urbane and debonair look. It reminds me of the pop singer who 'came out' in the 80s: "Oh yes, I'm gay*. I've done all that" (what could he have meant? ). I can never remember if it was Johnny Mathis or Freddie Mercury! Bit of a difference, I know, but it was at about the same time.

*Oddly enough, Freddie sang "Oh yes, I'm The Great Pretender"

As for the lesbian 'angle' (! ), the famous photographer and My Fair Lady costume designer Cecil Beaton might have been the first to use that word ('lesbian' not 'angle'). I remember seeing an extract of some photocall that he was posing for, where he was in his garden I think, and the photographer goaded him into repeating "lesbian" rather than"cheese". Several times infact. He looked like he was enjoying himself, more than I have with lesbians, but I never did find out what was going on in that bizarre sequence.

Another 'lesbian' reference I enjoyed was when the great Beryl Reid was interviewed by Terry Wogan. They might have been discussing her living alone (although she was surrounded by cats) or never marrying. At one point, Beryl muttered, as if quoting from a newspaper headline, "I Am Not A Lesbian, says Beryl Reid". Was there some gossip about her that she made a mental note of? That's how it appeared to me anyway. It was if she was saying "I haven't forgotten those bastards"!

Beryl Reids character in The Killing Of Sister George was a lesbian....maybe art imitated life, or vice versa ?

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    name='Steve Wigan']Beryl Reids character in The Killing Of Sister George was a lesbian....maybe art imitated life, or vice versa ?

As it's one of my all-time favorite films, I did know Beryl played a lesbian in that CLASSIC film (better believe it), but I think, even though it may have been true in her personal life, small-minded journalists might have used this against her as idle gossip. In those days it would have been very embarassing - and actually career-damaging - for gay or lesbian entertainers to talk about their sexuality. It may have been a laugh for Madonna to go on chat shows with Sandra Bernhard but Dusty Springfield was frightened of being 'found out' I think. Have I got that right? Is that why she became very reclusive during the Seventies and Eighties?

name='campcrusader']According to the 1978 'Crossroads Special Souvenir Issue' magazine, Teazy Weazy played Monsieur Fabrice, a hairstylist demonstrating at Miss Vera's salon in the motel in the 1970s! I'm guessing his episodes no longer exist, as the current chronological DVD release has not featured him, and the character of Vera has now left the series...

I'd like to see this. Maybe I did when it was originally shown? The mid-late 1970s was the time I watched Crossrsoads most. Never a big fan but still interested.

Liked
    13 times
    Steve Wigan, do you know on what show Raymonde may have publicly come out of the closet ? Do you know if it is mentioned in any of the contemporary Gay histories ?

Liked
    13 times
    cornershop, I heard at a recent screening that the film part was first offered to Angela Lansbury but she declined and so Beryl got to reprise her stage performance. On release there was a very big song and dance made of the Lesbian love scene, which no doubt shifted quite a few tickets !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast