Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Can anyone help with this? It's been driving me batty for a while. In style I recall it being somewhat reminiscent of an early Mike Leigh film - if a bit more earnest and less cynical.

From what I remember, two couples take a holiday on the Norfolk Broads (or similar), on a canal boat. During the course of the holiday, tensions surface, they all argue, one couple leaves and goes to stay in a hotel or something instead. The remaining couple continue upriver and sort-of rediscover themselves in the wilds, ending up closer and more united. It must have been 15-16 years ago now, but that's what it seemed like to me. I think that the couple who stay on the boat to the end are initially the repressed, uptight couple, while the two who end up leaving are the sort-of permissive, sexually liberated ones. By the end this might be reversed though?

Dunno, it's been a long time. Anyone have a CLUE what I'm on about? Think canals. Eighties films with canal holidays. All suggestions appreciated.

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    5 times

Liked
    0 times
    It ... must be! In fact, reading the reviews, they fill in bits I'd forgotten about. Plus, the whole thing did have an Ayckbourn feel to it. Thanks! Thanks a lot.

Liked
    5 times
    I recognised it instantly. I knew it was Ayckbourn, I just didn't recall the title.

That's the first time I've been first with the answer.

Liked
    0 times
    One of Mike Leighs earlist films was called 'Nut in May' starring Alison Steadman.

It features a hiking couple who camp out at a site and gradually start arguing.

It does sound similar to your description as I'm sure there is a canal ride in it.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    name='BristolUK']Way Upstream?

Is that the Ayckbourn that was staged in a huge pool of water when first produced in the theatre? If so I saw it on stage, and read that at one performance there was a leak!

Liked
    5 times
    name='suzepulcheria']Is that the Ayckbourn that was staged in a huge pool of water when first produced in the theatre? If so I saw it on stage, and read that at one performance there was a leak!

I don't know. I just recall that Ayckbourn plays seemed to be an integral part of xmas once upon a time.

Liked
    0 times
    name='suzepulcheria']Is that the Ayckbourn that was staged in a huge pool of water when first produced in the theatre? If so I saw it on stage, and read that at one performance there was a leak!

That's the one. A kind of fake river going down the middle of the stage, I believe.

name='Bates']One of Mike Leighs earlist films was called 'Nut in May' starring Alison Steadman.

It features a hiking couple who camp out at a site and gradually start arguing.

It does sound similar to your description as I'm sure there is a canal ride in it.

No. Nuts In May is one of my favourite films, it's definitely not that. (There isn't a canal ride in it btw, it's set in Dorset. Think you must be conflating it with something else.)