Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tommy (1975)

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    That was indeed actually John Lennon (and Yoko I believe). I cannot remember the situation, but it certainly is him. The full account is in one of my biography books on The Who.

Liked
    0 times
    The "I'm Free" running sequence was filmed along the beach and Esplanade at Eastney. There's a rumour that John Lennon was sitting in one of the cars Daltrey runs past - it ain't true. Pause the tape or DVD and you'll clearly see it's just some bloke who looks a lot like Lennon.

The Who Location Guide: Tommy - The Movie

Make your own mind up, i'm sure it would have been mentioned on the 2 disc deluxe version of Tommy, or at the time of the film's release.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahs
    i have to admit it but this is one of my all time favourite films,yes i know its cheesy and some say may damn right ridiculous but i cant help but love it.

roger daltrey is splendid as tommy,the deaf dumb and blind kid.it had so many crazy cameos;paul nicholas,tina turner,elton john,the who,eric clapton.

ann-margret was fantastic as his mum,who can forget the baked bean scene put me off them for life!!,oliver reed as slimy uncle frank,my god wot a sleaze,.

its pure trash but i so love it the music is fantastic,the scenery and the props are blinding,i just love it.

id love your opions on it no matter how harsh because how boring life would be if we liked all the same kind of movie xxx
    its one of the best films of all time. everytime i watch i cant resist singing along to every song out loud and playing air guitar! even him who played jesus christ superstar was excellent.

Liked
    0 times
    robert powell,hes a legend love him in the detectives with jasper carrott,sum may say a step back in his career but its so funny lol makes me smile every time

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilliam89
    That was indeed actually John Lennon (and Yoko I believe). I cannot remember the situation, but it certainly is him. The full account is in one of my biography books on The Who.
    Ahhh! Thanks, so my eyes wern`t deceiving me!

xx

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilliam89
    As a fan and collector of all things Beatles, i have one book on Lennon that is a month by month account of his life. Tommy started filming in April of '74, John was in that period of his split with Yoko and was with May Pang at the time. Infact in early April '74 there was a jam session with McCartney and Stevie Wonder, it was to be the last time John and Paul played together. Later this year Lennon recorded the 'Walls and Bridges' album. He did hang out with Keith Moon a bit in the USA, but these seemed to be acohol-fuelled. In '74 Lennon was still appealing for his immigration visa, so i guess he would not have left the States to come over here for a couple of frames in a movie, they may not have let him back in. Having seen this movie more times than i can remember, it is definately NOT John Lennon. Run the movie frame by frame on the 'I'm Free' section, where Daltrey runs along the beach in front of parked cars with trippers sat in, looking out. There are probably two candidates for Lennon look alikes, one is an older guy with his hair pulled back, but has not got the Lennon nose and is too old for Lennon at the time it was filmed in 1974, the other guy is near the last in the rank of cars, it has two guy's with a kid sat between them, and he is on the right hand side, very much like Lennon, and a good look alike, but it's not Lennons hair style of the mid 70's, and the face is too rounded.

Liked
    0 times
    Keith Moon is hilarious as Uncle Ernie,that scene makes me laugh everytime,and the scene just before it with the cousin makes me laugh alot aswell.Oliver Reed and Ann Margret are hilarious too,and Roger Daltrey is brilliant as Tommy.Great cameos from tina turner,Elton John.e.t.c aswell.

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    I saw Tommy when I was in high school - during the last week of class, everyone got to see videos, and we saw some good ones, too. The same year we saw Tommy we saw a Rush concert (I love their music!). I was in high school during the 1980's. Ah, those were great years. :)

Senior Member Country: UK LocalHero's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    I vividly remember watching the BBC broadbcast of Tommy in 1982. It was running simultaneously on TV, with the soundtrack on Radio One.

I had loads of friends round and we put the speakers on either side of the TV for full effect.

I have to say though, that it was the first and last time I watched it. I liked it in a way but I found it really scary. Individual things scared me, like Uncle Ernie and Cousin Kevin and the Acid Queen, but it was more the overall hysterical atmosphere of the whole thing that frightened me. Deeply sinister the lot of it.

I was 18 in 1982 so you'd think I'd have been able to cope, but I'm no better now all these years later.

My husband, however, loves the film, so has to watch it when I'm out...

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    I particularly like the "Eyesight to the Blind" number with Clapton and the weird worship of Marilyn Monroe. I think that still has a powerful resonance even now. I've had the double LP soundtrack for years, still listen to it regularly, particularly the smash the mirror / i'm free bit. The movie is a weird mix of those who were particularly "in" at the time like Paul Nicholas and Robert Powell and those, like the aforementioned Tina Turner who were not "in" at all.

And I loved The Who's money suits in the Pinball Wizard section.

Liked
    0 times
    The acid queen frightens me aswell.

Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    I love this film for the wild characters and Ann Margret in those beans and chocolate. She still looks beautiful under all that.

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    The original studio album by The Who is still a fabulous experience and musically clearly outranks the movie soundtrack (which of course, they also feature in). For some mad reason though, a strange cast (Oliver Reed and Jack Nicholson appearing in a rock opera - even though they cannot sing), an off the rails approach by Ken Russell and energic re-working of the songs make the movie strangely compelling. It has a style all of it's own and the role fitted Daltry like a glove.

If anyone hasn't seen it give it a shot - or should that be pinball...

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    4 times
    John Lennon left the UK in 1971 and never came back, so there's no way that he could have appeared in Tommy, whatever any book might say.

Here's an interesting page on the audio equipment specially installed at the Odeon Leicester Square for the showing of Tommy:

I saw it there myself in the summer of 1975 - I don't remember the speaker towers and bass bin, but it's a helluva long time ago. It was certainly a wall of sound.

Quote Originally Posted by byebyebadman
    even him who played jesus christ superstar was excellent.
    Paul Nicholas?

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    2 times
    i just thank god they didnt get ken russell to do quadrophenia and the idea of doing quad as a musical was jettisoned very quickly as well after this . out of the two who rock operas i know which one was the better film

tommy is a movie thats good only in parts ...eric claptons eyesight to the blind ,keiths uncle ernie routine and eltons pinball wizard with the "ooo" back to their equipment smashing best

Liked
    0 times
    I like both films and at least there's a bit of variety between them.

Liked
    8 times
    I was lucky to have been a stand-in on "Tommy" for Robert Powell, Keith Moon, Jack Nicholson

Paul Nicholas and Eric Clapton, Jack Nicholson. Paul Nicholas and Eric Clapton were only there for a couple of days, it was just a lovely film to work on, and Ken Russell was great.

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by whitstablejim
    I was lucky to have been a stand-in on "Tommy" for Robert Powell, Keith Moon, Jack Nicholson

Paul Nicholas and Eric Clapton, Jack Nicholson. Paul Nicholas and Eric Clapton were only there for a couple of days, it was just a lovely film to work on, and Ken Russell was great.
    Was that you playing the guitar on Eyesight For The Blind, then Jim?

Sounds like you must have had a lot of fun?

I had tickets for the premiere of this , but on the way there, a young toddler ran out in front of the car we were travelling up in. Thankfully, the nipper was just a little bruised and shaken, but it put me off going to the opening night.

Liked
    8 times
    Hi Hughjampton, That must have been very upsetting, with the Toddler, shame you missed the premiere, no that wasn't me, the only bit I had with a guitar, was when Ken Russell was talking to Eric Clapton he called me over, told me to get on the stage gave me Eric Claptons guitar, asked the sound man for playback and told me to play it, not knowing how, I just mimmed it to the music, then he said thank you to me, and said to Eric, I told you so. I still haven't got a clue weather I was good or bad.

Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by whitstablejim
    Hi Hughjampton, That must have been very upsetting, with the Toddler, shame you missed the premiere, no that wasn't me, the only bit I had with a guitar, was when Ken Russell was talking to Eric Clapton he called me over, told me to get on the stage gave me Eric Claptons guitar, asked the sound man for playback and told me to play it, not knowing how, I just mimmed it to the music, then he said thank you to me, and said to Eric, I told you so. I still haven't got a clue weather I was good or bad.
    Thanks for the insight WJ, you prob ably did just fine

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast