Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tommy (1975)

Liked
    0 times
    Tommy (1975)

did anyone watch last night the rock musical by the who tommy?

Loads of stars from elton John to tina turner were in the movie.

Liked
    0 times
    Agree with one viewing of Tommy being enough!

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    5 times
    im sorry i hate this film i thought it was the most awful film ever made, dont know how it was voted one of the greats.

Liked
    0 times
    i have to admit it but this is one of my all time favourite films,yes i know its cheesy and some say may damn right ridiculous but i cant help but love it.

roger daltrey is splendid as tommy,the deaf dumb and blind kid.it had so many crazy cameos;paul nicholas,tina turner,elton john,the who,eric clapton.

ann-margret was fantastic as his mum,who can forget the baked bean scene put me off them for life!!,oliver reed as slimy uncle frank,my god wot a sleaze,.

its pure trash but i so love it the music is fantastic,the scenery and the props are blinding,i just love it.

id love your opions on it no matter how harsh because how boring life would be if we liked all the same kind of movie xxx

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    Fantastic music, outragous performers. I watched it a couple of months ago for the first time in years and was spell bound!

Fagins girl xx

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    The Who, Ollie Reed and Ken Russell - what's not to like?

I agree, it's a superb film.

Ann-Margret was nominated for an Oscar (she lost to Louise Fletcher for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest). I'm sure someone will put me right but other than Johnny Depp in Sweeney Todd has anyone else been nominated for a role that was entirely sung?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Yup, me too, I loved 'Tommy' then, and still do, saw it at least twice at the Cinema in the 70's, and those were the days before Video/DVD releases a few months after, and I recall it was first premeried on UK TV on BBC 2 in the Autumn of 1982!

Video recorders were extremely expensive back then, and I recall we rented one, Tapes weren't cheap either, but that was a 'must have' Film!

Love the 'Baked bean' scenes, Ann-Margret cut her hand on the glass from the TV screen and had to have several stitches, and the entire scene had to be filmed again!

It was great to have Tina Turner in it too as the Acid Queen, this was in Tina's 'wilderness' years before she was rediscovered again early 80's, I particularly like it when her Lips are quivering towards the end of her scenes. and she ends up on the Candlewick bedspread and taps her lengthy nails on the Syringe.......the look in her eyes then could melt Ice!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    A bit of a long shot here, but when Norah is watching her Son playing Pinball on the TV, then the Commercial break comes on, does anyone know the name of the Actress in the 'Rex beans' advert?........she's sitting like a Queen on her throne, takes a scoop of baked beans from the Can with a silver fork, puts it in her mouth then winks at the Camera........she has a look of Lesley Anne-Down about her and I'm sure I've seen her in 'other things'.

Liked
    0 times
    ive just put tommy on and gone to end credits,alas no mention of her there,as u may have already known,but she does look familiar.its a bloody glorious film and roger daltery is well mmmm lol me thinks i may have to indulge in one of my favourite guilty pleasures.

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    While watching it, I thought I saw John Lennon, just for a split second, I think it was a beach scene but could be wrong????????

Does anyone know if he had a very small cameo in it? Blink and you miss him.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    4 times
    My wife's one claim to fame (apart from being married to me!) is that she was an extra in "Tommy" especially in the theatre scenes - not a bad job for a student in the 1970's - Elton John, Roger Daltry and the Who etc etc as well as endless delays while Ken Russell lined up the shots. During the delays they got fed with burgers - no pay but it was worth it, she reports!

Except that the poor student who was the stand-in for the big boots might not have felt it was!

During the proceedings, part of South Parade Pier in Southsea was burned down....

Wonderful times

rgds

Rob

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    A story I heard at the time was that Rod Stewart was offered the Pinball Wizard (having performed it in the Lou Reisner production), but was talked out of accepting by his Windsor neigbour Elton John. Evidently Elton convinced Rod that he shouldn't be playing second fiddle to Daltrey. Rod said no and the part was then offerd to Elton who accepted immediately !

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billy bentley
    A story I heard at the time was that Rod Stewart was offered the Pinball Wizard (having performed it in the Lou Reisner production), but was talked out of accepting by his Windsor neigbour Elton John. Evidently Elton convinced Rod that he shouldn't be playing second fiddle to Daltrey. Rod said no and the part was then offerd to Elton who accepted immediately !
    If true, that's a great way for Elton to show how to make friends and influence people

Steve

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Ah, Tommy! Memories, memories - yes I know, wrong musical.

Saw it at the Leicester Square Odeon in magnificent 'quintophonic sound' - that opening chord with the visual of Robert Powell silhouetted against the backdrop of the sun - amazing.

Saw it again a few months later in a double bill with Liztomania, by which time Mr Russell had quite lost the plot!

Happy daze!

Liked
    0 times
    I was lucky enough to see this on it's original release, and saw it on two ocasions with it's original 'quintophonic' sound, absolutley mind blowing. I have also seen it at the cinema with plain two track sound, just not the same film at all, the sound was the pioneering part of that film, the for-runner to 5.1, using Sansui decoders in the mixing of the sound. I too saw the first airing on the TV in the early 80's, the sound was broadcasted on radio 1 in stereo at the same time, so you turned off the tv sound and pumped up the volume on the hifi.

Since then i have had the pan and scan VHS version, The region 1 version with 'quintophonic; sound track, and widescreen on one side of the disc, full screen and stereo on the other. I then had the special 2 disc version with restored sound, those disc's were quit faulty and mine actualy disintegrated into tiny pieces. I have now replaced it with the one disc version.

I still have the full colour souvener programe which was on sale at the cinema on it's first week of screening.

Happy day's and happy memories.

P.S. Stevie Wonder was also up for the 'Pin-Ball Wizard' part and was nearly signed, but his people thought it was a piss take, and asked him not to do it.

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    0 times
    Interesting point about Stevie Wonder's people thinking it a piss-take.

These days, you'd be in trouble for not finding a blind/visually impaired performer for the role.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BillTurner80

Saw it again a few months later in a double bill with Liztomania, by which time Mr Russell had quite lost the plot!

Happy daze!
    Talking about 'Lisztomania' here is that dream clip, adult content;

Jigsaw vs Rodger Daltry with huge hosting - Putfile.com

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for that, Booby Trap! I'd quite forgotten what a subtle, understated movie that was!

Liked
    0 times
    Saw this post (no pun intented check ,out the avatar!) Tommy was a great movie. Ken Russells films contibuted to my love of cinema. Even the bad ones possess a watchable quality and an unusual view of the world that sets him apart from many other directors. I can only think of how many books I would not have read and how much music I wouldn't have listened to without him.

Liked
    0 times
    link to Tommy pics and other Who connected movies:

The Who - Tommy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast