Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked
    0 times
    I thought James Robertson Justice was superb in the movie! The whole cast gave great performances, but he was a standout!

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DB7
    ... I've had a lifelong interest in that journey and an obsession with that landscape.
    . . . Me, too.

. . . Scott.. . The things I've seen there!. Terrible and wonderful!. Flames exploding in air.

. . . Kathleen.. . Mountains of crystal...

. . . Scott.. . Colors falling from the sky.

. . . Kathleen.. . Yes.

. . . Scott.. . Silence, like a scream into wind.

. . . Kathleen.. . Silence like sleep.

. . . (Terra Nova. by Ted Tally
    )

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Is that the same Ted Tally who wrote the screenplay for Silence Of The Lambs?

Ta Ta

Marky B

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Marky B
    Is that the same Ted Tally who wrote the screenplay for Silence Of The Lambs?

Ta Ta

Marky B
    Yep ..... he is quite well known as a playwright in the US. All his screenplays are adaptations of other people's novels.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    The National Theatre's current blockbuster is a verse-drama about Nansen who seems to have been a remarkable guy even if he did eat the dogs

Senior Member Country: England mrs_emma_peel's Avatar
    Liked
    155 times
    I can thoroughly recommend:

Journals: Captain Scott's Last Expedition (Oxford World's Classics) (Paperback) by R.F. Scott Amazon.co.uk �6-99

A very moving and riveting account � the detailed diary descriptions of the deaths of Evans and Oates and his final letters are particularly poignant and unforgettable.

I�m a great fan of Scott of the Antarctic and Ralph Vaughan Williams�s superb Sinfonia Antarctica developed from his film score.

I remember seeing an interview with John Mills who said he was very pleased with the film, but wished the screenplay had developed Scott�s complex character flaws more � for example: his arguably fateful decision to take 5 men to the pole instead of 4.

(I was shocked to discover that Harold Warrender who played Dr Bill Wilson, died in 1953, only 5 years after the film was released, aged just 49)

There is an excellent yet considerably more controversial 1985, 380 min TV film/mini-series on Scott: The Last Place on Earth - based on Roland Huntford�s contentious book on Scott. This is a much more detailed and critical examination of Scott�s last expedition - with Martin Shaw as Captain Robert Falcon (Con) Scott, Sverre Anker Ousdal as Roald Amundsen, Pat (Bomber) Roach as PO Edgar (Taff) Evans, Richard Morant as Captain Titus Oates, Stephen Moore as Dr Bill Wilson, Sylvester McCoy as Lt. �Birdie� Bowers, Hugh Grant as Apsley Cherry-Garrard and the brilliant Max von Sydow as Fridtof Nansen.

This is a splendid and fascinating yet highly controversial TV mini-series version which examines Scott�s character flaws, his virtues and his fateful decisions.

The Last Place on Earth has an 8.6 rating on IMDb (Amazon.co.uk R2 DVD �10) and is based on Roland Huntford�s controversial book on Scott, which has in turn been criticised by Sir Ranulph Fiennes and Susan Solomon - her book looks at the very rare, almost unprecedented and virtually uniquely vicious �summer� weather conditions experienced by Scott�s expedition on the desperate return journey.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    I had the privilege of recently meeting one of only two of the surviving cast members from this film, a mr barry letts, and listened to an interesting talk my him, regarding just how different the film was meant to be. apparently, he along with several others were part of a small stable of actors being groomed for ealing films, which then merged with Rank i believe.

he stated that his part in the film, as Cherry Garrard, was to have been his big break and indeed, he and the rest of the cast filmed a large amount of footage of the party which returned to base, and looked more at Garrard and the rests contribution, but the director in the end felt that instead of swapping back and forth between the two parties towards the end of the film, was less dramatic than simply following Scott, and thus much of his contribution ended up 'on the cutting room floor' as it were.

The music is also fabulous. i get chills whenever i hear that theme!

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    A truly marvellous film about determination and the human spirit, with plenty of 'stiff upper lip' on show. I must admit as the film draws to a close I find it hard to stop my eyes watering.

James Robertson Justice's performance usually sets the rot in - as he is getting weaker with frostbite and exposure, he keeps maintaining that he is 'quite well, Sir'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12