Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainWaggett
    I am! I don't understand why we're meant to dislike him. All he wants is to get his furniture transported and it's clear that the crew are incompetent rogues. Why should we think their boat is more important than his bathroom? I can't understand why anyone wouldn't sympathise with him. It's not like he's trying to stop them get their whisky.
    Exactly!

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman
    A High Wind In Jamaica is a favourite of mine.
    With a young Martin Amis, whose experiences have not always been as good since (Saturn 3)

Senior Member Country: UK charliekane's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Does anyone have any information/theories about what seems to be a strange cut in The Ladykillers, where (I think) Herbert Lom calls Alec Guinness something like 'crazy' and there is a geat, sinister close-up on AG, the music builds up to a climax and he seems about to say something significant, but then it cuts altogether to a new angle and the scene is completely different.

Was something taken out ?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    According to John Fisher's biography of Tommy Cooper, TC was in serious contention for a part in THe Ladykillers. Anyone know if this might be true ?

Liked
    1 times
    Good question - and something that's troubled me for years now.

Any answers?

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    The first I've heard about it, not that it makes it untrue. What role was mentioned...was it 'One Round', Danny Green's role???

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Or maybe Frankie Howerd's part? How big a star was Cooper in 1955?

Liked
    255 times
    Or maybe Frankie Howerd's part? How big a star was Cooper in 1955?
    He was very popular, making regular TV appearances and was his live shows were sell outs.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    Quote Originally Posted by batman
    He was very popular, making regular TV appearances and was his live shows were sell outs.
    I think much the same applied to Howerd at that point. Cooper hadn't made any films so a big role might have been rather a risk. Was Cooper that interested in films? He didn't make one until 1960.

Liked
    255 times
    I think much the same applied to Howerd at that point. Cooper hadn't made any films so a big role might have been rather a risk. Was Cooper that interested in films? He didn't make one until 1960.
    I believe he received offers, but was too busy with radio, live performances and TV to take them up.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Sorry chaps can't exactly remember and have donated the book to a charity shop, It was as one of the gang and I'm pretty certain that it was One Round or Sellers' part. Batman is quite right (according to Fisher) Cooper had too many commitments to fit in a shooting schedule. I'm glad he didn't - ilke the cast as it appeared.

Liked
    1 times
    Any answer then to the original question?

It's something that's bugged me for years.

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by charliekane
    Does anyone have any information/theories about what seems to be a strange cut in The Ladykillers, where (I think) Herbert Lom calls Alec Guinness something like 'crazy' and there is a geat, sinister close-up on AG, the music builds up to a climax and he seems about to say something significant, but then it cuts altogether to a new angle and the scene is completely different.

Was something taken out ?
    No, I don't believe anything was taken out. I think that is part of the scene because Mrs. Lopsided then walks in with another tray of tea.

Liked
    0 times
    I am! I don't understand why we're meant to dislike him. All he wants is to get his furniture transported and it's clear that the crew are incompetent rogues. Why should we think their boat is more important than his bathroom? I can't understand why anyone wouldn't sympathise with him. It's not like he's trying to stop them getting their whisky. To me the film makes no sense at at all especially when you compare the attitude Mackendrick shows to Douglas' character with his oft-quoted sympathy with Waggett in Whisky Galore (though obviously that doesn't quite tie in with what we see onscreen in the earlier film).
    I have always taken the view that The Maggie draws sharp parallels between the sharp and dynamic post war America and it's much vaunted efficiency, backed up by their attitude of "There are no problems, merely solutions" ! as against the Britain of Victorian times, whereby tradition and hidebound practices struggle against change.

Liked
    0 times
    I saw this film a year ago during a module on 1950s British Cinema in my third yeah. It is possibly the best Ealing film. The combination of dark comedy and light entertainment is delightful, as is the amazing performance by Sir Alec.

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    I am surprised this topic didn't arise, even if for condemnation.

The Coen Bros LADYKILLERS (2004) was a marvellous idea. Joel and Ethan Coen's acerbic wit; a good cast of willing oddballs (not least Tom Hanks, but J K Simmons and Irma Hall as well); T-Bone Burnett's enlistment of gospel music; and the wry comment on rural Mississippi.

Thud. The movie failed on every point. It could have been called THE LAUGHTERKILLERS. A damn shame.

I am a Coen fan, but they missed all the points. Why? It beats me.

MacKendrick's 1955 humour was broad (Katie Johnson banging on her pipes, harrassing the police, talking to her cockatoo), but reworked by the Coens, it was was not funny.

Guinness was perfectly oily in 1955, and 2004's Tom Hanks was arguably better with his Su'thn gentleman character.

"Waffles, we must have waffles forthwith!" was a steal from Withnail And I. The Coens are notorious parodists, and I wonder if they let LADYKILLERS slip from a real movie into a series of sketches.

Too bad, because their O BROTHER WHERE ART THOU (2000) was an episodic comedy that really worked.

Any thoughts on the Coens' LADYKILLERS? I will be pleased to fight for (it has its moments) or against (total shite).

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Just watched this timeless classic again. Two questions!

1 What make of car (the white one) in the robbery scene?

2 Although not mentioned on the IMDB,did I see Stratford Johns as one of the crew of the security van?

Ta Ta

Marky B

Super Moderator Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    86 times
    The white car is a Studebaker, but which model I can't answer for definite but it looks very like a Champion.

Studebaker Champion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They were obsessed with aviation and you can see the cues in the roundel in the middle of the front of the car which had a spinning propellor in it. And there is the rather large bonnet mascot in the shape of an aircraft. You'll also notice the panoramic rear windscreen.

Nick

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Taken from the wonderful 'Avengers Forever site' on Stratford Johns.

The Avengers Forever: Stratford Johns

Soon after, he found work touring with a comedienne and slowly but surely began to make an impression on the British film studios, resulting in several bit parts during the early 1950s, including an appearance in the classic Ealing comedy The Ladykillers (1955).

Regards

Freddy

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    Noticed that Alec Guinness not only has a very very long coat but also the longest scarf ever in movie history ?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast