Thread: Russell Brand

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm wondering what members on the forum think of the young English actor Russell Brand.

He seems to be another one of those personalities that people either love or hate.

I didn't know a lot about him until seeing him guest on a recent Jay Leno Tonight Show in the US. He was on the show to promote the hit film 'Forgetting Sarah Marshall' in which he appears. He has received some good reviews for his performance in the film.

I found his performance on Leno quite amusing, although he was only on for eight minutes.

I also see where the Sun newspaper named him "Shagger of the Year" due to his many conquests. He must talk them into bed because he certainly has not got your average good looks.

What do others think?

Dave.

Liked
    1 times
    Talentless twerp.

Liked
    0 times
    BRAND

Irritating mockney goon. Brighter then most comics around but annoying

ponce. As for 'Sarah Marshall' a mate said it was the worst film he has ever seen!

Liked
    0 times
    I had the pleasure of working with him last summer. A sweet and engaging gentleman and, despite the flamboyant theatricality of his "Branded Persona", utterly unaffected and down to earth.

Definitely an acquired taste but his improvisational celerity is impressive.I often tune into his radio show. I think that show (and his tenure at the helm of Big Brothers Big Mouth) show great skill and talent.

Liked
    1 times
    You did Freddie, well just goes to show how much might be just an act. some people live it dont they Ive been watching the TV show about old comedians and some were very sad individuals in life.

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    0 times
    I used to find him utterly irritating but have recently come to admire his way with words. I think his use of language is both clever and captivating.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by donna
    You did Freddie, well just goes to show how much might be just an act. ........
    Hi Donna...

I have to say that the qualities I just described didn't come as a surprise since I always got that impression from the radio show and BBBM. On the latter show he was hosting,five nights a week, the most unruly and socially rambunctious of shows with dexterity. Flitting between over-excited (and,often, unintelligible)audience members he listened and engaged with the individual with a great deal more consideration than most of the shallow auto-cue dependents and their glazed expressions of faux-recognition.

Having said that, his "in to part" tales regarding his winkle enabled me an extra 27 seconds to assemble the assam.

Not the most hilarious of comedians but definitely a person of grace and generosity.

...........which is as nice a thing as anyone could say about a person.

Liked
    0 times
    Couldn't stand him until he was on Ross' BBC1 show where he was very forthright and honest about what a tit he can be and that won me round!

Didn't know he was a "comedian" because he ain't funny outside of interviews which begs an obvious question...what is he?

Liked
    1 times
    a lot of younger people relate to his humour, I admire how fast he is, very clever but not my thing.

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    He did a show called something like Wonderland on Channel Four. It was a cross between Harry Hill's TV Burp and In Bed with Medinner. His sardonic - or perhaps simply sarcastic - commentary on archive TV clips was hilarious.

Senior Member Country: UK Dandy Forsdyke's Avatar
    Liked
    12 times
    I think he has a very intellectual and analytical approach to comedy. He's also very quick. I don't think he's exactly 'laugh out loud' - more 'ah I see what he did there, clever!'

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    I quite liked his radio 2 show on a saturday evening, well it made me laugh anyway, I didn't know he had turned to acting, I think many young British "comedians" inspire love or hate.....I think he may be mates with Gervais though, I think they all drink together, I mean Ross, Gervais and Brand

Liked
    151 times
    I'm not sure he's that talented but the whole back-combed Dickensian punk image makes him rather endearing. I'd imagine he'll carve out a Rob Newman-esque career as a stand-up but I can't see it going a great deal further.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    I quite like him. Like Chris,I sometimes listen to him on the radio and he is clever and articulate with words. However,how to "brand" his act.......?

Ta ta

Marky B

Liked
    0 times
    I find it remarkable that anyone could describe him as 'talentless' no matter how much you might dislike his persona. Although his sheer ubiquity started to annoy me I've always liked him, especially as intelligence and quick-wittedness are not over-abundant commodities in the mainstream media. Plus ( as has been borne out above ) he has always come across as a genuinely nice bloke who never forgot while hosting Big Brother's Big Mouth that the show was about the audience and not the presenter. I heard him interview the Spice Girls on the radio and he did so with enormous charm and good grace - you could sense them warming to him as the show progressed. I

As for his acting - for me the jury's still out on that one. I thought he was pretty dire in the new St Trinian's film but he was on a bit of a non-starter there since he was up against memories of the great George Cole. But Russ is alright with me!

Senior Member Country: UK charliekane's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by christoph404
    I quite liked his radio 2 show on a saturday evening, well it made me laugh anyway, I didn't know he had turned to acting, I think many young British "comedians" inspire love or hate.....I think he may be mates with Gervais though, I think they all drink together, I mean Ross, Gervais and Brand
    Good grief ! Imagine those three horrors in the same room !!

As for Brand the 'actor' - I hear he is intending to play himself in the film of his life story (which will be absolutely rivetting, I'm sure....) It does make you wonder who decides which films are to be made while others can't get out of the box.

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    I think it's stretching credulity to beyond breaking point to describe Brand as an "actor". For some, as yet, unexplained reason some women seem to find him desirable.