Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    In the classic Battle of Britain Film, Where is the country pub that the lovers meet.Was it a real pub?

Senior Member Country: Vietnam hankoler's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    It may be the JACKDAW pub in Denham, this is stated on the IMDb .

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    It might be this one near Hawkindge in Kent:-

The Jackdaw, Denton [Folkestone Gerald]

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    That would be the one. There was an airfield there in WW2.

Liked
    0 times
    The Jackdaw Inn is located in the picturesque village of Denton which is about a 10 minute drive from Folkestone, Dover and Canterbury. The Jackdaw was the 'on location' site for filming a part of the 'Battle of Britain' film. The famous air battle was actually fought in the skies over this pub! The Jackdaw

Telephone 01303 844663

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    The film was shown on Channel 4 yesterday (Bank Holiday Monday) but I missed it. Doesn't seem to have been released on DVD.

Correction - Amazon is selling it for �5.98. Brilliant!

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    11 times
    Play.com are selling the special edition (2 discs) including free postage for �8.66(the 1969 film)

Liked
    13 times
    Another one I haven't seen since it's release. How does it hold up ?

Senior Member Country: England earlb's Avatar
    Liked
    15 times
    The famous air battle was actually fought in the skies over this pub! The Jackdaw. Location :The Street, Denton, Canterbury, CT4 6QZ

Telephone 01303 844663
    They were also filmed over Hemel Hempstead. I remember as a young lad watching the dog fights as I was lazing in the sun at the aptly named Churchill open air swimming pool. There also was a massive plane with a big orange stripe round which I assumed was the camera plane.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    109 times
    Hi.

I also remember some of the filming over in Hemel Hempstead. The aeroplanes used, went on display at nearby Bovingdon Aerorome. Both German and British. I think the local press said to its readers that we were not imagining things, if we saw World War Two aeroplanes in the skies. Nor were we to be alarmed if we saw any on fire. What I did not know then, is that a few years later, I was to get involved with the aircraft industry. (That is why I will be later this week crossing the Channel by coach and ferry.)

Alan French.

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    The film was shown on Channel 4 yesterday (Bank Holiday Monday) but I missed it. Doesn't seem to have been released on DVD.

Correction - Amazon is selling it for �5.98. Brilliant!
    yes, its been available on DVd for yonks and curiously it has recently been released on a blu-ray disc for region A only (North America)

Liked
    13 times
    Sorry, looking this over I'm lost (again !) . Does The Jackdaw feature in the flick, or was "the battle" just filmed above it ?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Sorry, looking this over I'm lost (again !) . Does The Jackdaw feature in the flick, or was "the battle" just filmed above it ?
    It is the scene where Christopher Plummer meets Susannah York over a drink,where he tries to talk her into moving up to Scotland. He leaves in a huff and the Home Guard turn up for a few pints.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: England Maurice's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    Daily Telegraph

A Grade II listed red phone box, which featured in the 1969 film BATTLE OF BRITAIN, is under threat after BT earmarked it for removal because it is not used enough.

In one scene in the film, Christopher Plummer, playing Sqd Ldr Colin Harvey, uses the phone box to speak to his wife.

War veterans and residents are campaigning to save the phone box outside the Jackdaw in Denton, near Folkstone, Kent, which attracts hundreds of visitors every year.

Helen Brown, the pub landlady, said:

"The phone box is such a part of the place, it is very sad it looks likely to be lost forever."

A BT spokesman said the "very low usage box" was not viable. The council said consent would be needed to remove it.

Senior Member Country: England Number Six's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Daily Telegraph

A Grade II listed red phone box, which featured in the 1969 film BATTLE OF BRITAIN, is under threat after BT earmarked it for removal because it is not used enough.

In one scene in the film, Christopher Plummer, playing Sqd Ldr Colin Harvey, uses the phone box to speak to his wife.

War veterans and residents are campaigning to save the phone box outside the Jackdaw in Denton, near Folkstone, Kent, which attracts hundreds of visitors every year.

Helen Brown, the pub landlady, said:

"The phone box is such a part of the place, it is very sad it looks likely to be lost forever."

A BT spokesman said the "very low usage box" was not viable. The council said consent would be needed to remove it.
    In this day-and-age of mobile telecommunications, I can understand that the useage of phone boxes has declined substantially, but surely something can be done to save this box. If it was a building - however small - that had been standing there for that amount of time, it would almost certainly be offically protected and it would be illegal to remove it because of the subsequent detrimental visual impact on the immediate area, not to mention the fact, as Helen Brown says, it's very much part and parcel of the character of the pub itself. At worst, could BT not remove the operational parts and leave the shell in position? Let's hope an agreement can be reached and this box can be saved.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    There's a preservation order on the phone box on Mull that is used in I Know Where I'm Going!

BT tried to get that one taken out as well, also citing lack of use. But for that one we were able to point out that there isn't very good mobile phone coverage on Mull, and the local council is supporting the idea that it be kept there - just as an amenity, regardless of its iconic status.

It really is a phone box right by a waterfall. The waterfall doesn't really make so much noise that it's difficult to hear things when you make a call - even if you leave the door open. They set the camera angle in the film so that it looked like the phone was closer to the waterfall and they also "turned up the volume" of the waterfall - all for dramatic effect.

It was a bit dark and overcast when we were there in October 2005. But we still all queued up to get our picture taken in such a famous phone box

Steve

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    Halloween's over Steve......no more scary pics for another year...

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Halloween's over Steve......no more scary pics for another year...
    OK, but you know how scary I really am in person

Steve

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Is that the new Dr. Who?

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    It should be preserved. I know hardly any calls are made from it now, but surely it has a new use as a tourist attraction. As for mobile phones, I wouldn't have one of those things as a gift, or use one either. There are enough people walking around the town looking very silly, with their hand pressed against the side of their head, seemingly talking to themselves and telling everyone within earshot all their business. I call them the OK YAH brigade, because they wander about saying "OK, yah..ha haaaa...yah OK, yah." I may become famous one day, as the last person in the UK not to have a mobile phone. I have an ordinary land line phone at home and, if I want to make a call when I'm out, I just wait while I get back home again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast