Thread: Tea Time Telly

Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone have fond memories of the following fiilmed series, shown in teatime slots in the sixties and sevetnies.

Everyone remebers Skippy, but how about Woobinda Animal Doctor, Daktari, Cowboy In Africa, the Tarzan series with Ron Ely, Gentle Ben starring Dennis Weaver, The Littlest Hobo,.

On the non animal front there was Magic Boomerang, Forest Rangers, Adventures of the Seaspray.

I think a lot of these got repeated in the seventies when ITV started extending their satruday morning programmes. Pior to thie there were some very tawdry puppet shows shown by the loccal Itv regions, Tinker and Taylor, Gus Honeybun, Puffin etc. These shows also showed cartoons and segments of Twizzle and Torchy and Four Falls.

Then there was TISWAS.

Senior Member Country: Vietnam hankoler's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Theree was another one out about that time called WHIPLASH, it was either set in oz or south africa.

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    name='hankoler']Theree was another one out about that time called WHIPLASH, it was either set in oz or south africa.

That was made in australia. Peter Graves starred. (Cobb & Co)

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    The Ron Ely Tarzan series has been unavailable for decades (save for e-bay pirate copies) and I'd love to see it again.

I remember fondly The Protectors, which occupied the post tea-time, 7.00 o'clock slot. Watched them all again recently, and there are some very good episodes in there, mainly the ones directed by John Hough, who could bring even the most uninspired script to life.

Liked
    0 times
    I woulld love to see the Ron Ely Tarzan series again especially the episode with Diana Ross and the Supremes as guest stars. If I remember correctly Tarzan was still on the big screen when the Ely shows were aired. Mike Henry made a few films and some two part episodes from the Ron Ely series were spliced together for theatrical release in some teriorites not sure if it was in the uk.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    I wish they would bring some of them back now. The 5-6 period is Golden Balls (don't understand it),the Weakest Link (tired),and the Paul O Grady Show (I like Paul,but his show is not worth his talent).

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    the littlest hobo was excellent, especially the titles when it had shots of him travelling on a train and moving pictures of him in different locations and situations while the brilliant theme tune played along to it. however, i found gentle ben to be annoying, the kid used to do my head in. i'm sure he had weird looking ears?!

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone remember Adventures of a Jungle Boy with Michael Carr Hartley and Ronald Adam?

Liked
    0 times
    No but I remember a series called"Elephant Boy."

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    [
    Catching Up with Posts (three years later)
    Quote Originally Posted by hankoler View Post
    There was another one out about that time called WHIPLASH, it was either set in oz or south africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by wadsy View Post
    That was made in australia. Peter Graves starred. (Cobb & Co)
    Network have since released this series on DVD: Whiplash: The Complete Series.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWyrU...?v=FWyrUa65nRc
    Quote Originally Posted by bhowells View Post
    I would love to see the Ron Ely Tarzan series again especially the episode with Diana Ross and the Supremes as guest stars.
    The mind boggles.
    Quote Originally Posted by byebyebadman View Post
    the littlest hobo was excellent, especially the titles when it had shots of him travelling on a train and moving pictures of him in different locations and situations while the brilliant theme tune played along to it.
    I was familiar with the title but didn't realise the star was an alsatian:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4o7JIO2m1U&feature=related

Introducing 'The Littlest Hobo', TVTimes, 12th April 1964

The Littlest Hobo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also available on DVD (first three episodes in colour):
    Amazon.com: The Littlest Hobo TV Series: Collection Vol. 1: London: Movies & TV