Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: TV Westerns

Liked
    1 times
    Pete Duel was just Brill!

T'was never the same after.

Such a loss but info on his sad end was er. 'Consp theory' fodder big time...............

Luvsya Pete!!

Liked
    0 times
    Who do you think was the fastest draw?

There were a few,Little Joe Cartwright for one.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    name='joseph']Who do you think was the fastest draw?

There were a few,Little Joe Cartwright for one.

Absolutely!

Chuck Connors was pretty fast with that rifle (in "The Rifleman"), too.

Senior Member Country: United States
    Liked
    1 times
    name='bhowells']

I wish it was possible to see every episode of Bonanza shown on tv but I believer there are problems regardin the rights, some episodes in the public domain are shown whilst others havent been aired for years.

Pity,Bonanza was brill.

Though most fans prefer the early shows, "Bonanza" has great episodes scattered throughout its 14 seasons. Some of my all-time favorites are in the last few seasons. If you've never seen the Michael Landon-penned episodes "To Die In Darkness," "Kingdom of Fear," "Forever," or Jo Van Fleet's wonderful performances in "The Trouble With Amy" and "The Stillness Within," you are definitely missing out.

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    name='Harleybloke']Pete Duel was just Brill!

T'was never the same after.

Such a loss but info on his sad end was er. 'Consp theory' fodder big time...............

Luvsya Pete!!

You'll be pleased to know, harleybloke, that Love On A Rooftop, the Sixties sitcom in which Pete Duel starred with Laugh-In girl Judy ("Sock it to me") Carne, will soon be available at Amazon US.

Liked
    80 times
    name='bhowells']Anyone remember an episode of The Viriginian which included a Burt Bacarachesque song with the lyrics "Just A little love."

Also recall a quaint tune in a latter day episode of Bonanza which later became the closing credits music to "Little House On the Prarie.

There was also a typically dramatic western ballad featured on an episode of High Chaperal/

Pernell Roberts sang a song or two when he played Adam in the early days of Bonanza.

I know the song With A Little Love which was the theme tune to the Debbie Reynolds Show, as Marky B said. It was also used as background music for the Attila the Hun sketch in Monty Python! However, I don't remember it in The Virginian.

But there was a song called Take A Look Around , which featured in an episode of Alias Smith and Jones called Return to Devil's Hole . I was surprized to hear this song again later in an episode of The Virginian. I just found out that episode was called The Legacy of Spencer Flats. It was also used in an episode of McCloud called Walk in the Dark! It was sung by Tim Morgon and written by Richard Maltby and David Shire.

You may be able to hear it here under the Return to Devil's Hole clip:

The Pete Duel Site Gallery - Audio Clips

I remember an episode of The High Chaparral called The Guns of Johnny Rondo, which featured a great ballad about the eponymous character.

E.

Liked
    4 times
    Rawhide was always my favourite. But does anyone else remember a series called Boots And Saddles ?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    name='TomDaws']Rawhide was always my favourite. But does anyone else remember a series called Boots And Saddles ?

No,but

"Boots and Saddles" (1957)

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    80 times
    You'll be pleased to know, harleybloke, that Love On A Rooftop, the Sixties sitcom in which Pete Duel starred with Laugh-In girl Judy ("Sock it to me") Carne, will soon be available at Amazon US.

Never saw this, but Judy did an episode of Alias Smith and Jones with Pete. I remember we were all completely shocked by his death - I'm sure I read somewhere that he had a history of depression.

Judy herself has had a somewhat troubled life - hopefully she has now found peace at home in her native Northamptonshire.

Pete and Judy in ASAJ

E.

Liked
    4 times
    Thanks, Marky B

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    name='TomDaws']Thanks, Marky B

No problemo,Tom.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Euryale, would you mind if I repeat your post at 'Together Again'? It would look great with the photo of Pete Duel and Judy Carne I posted earlier.

Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I remember 'The Legend Of Jesse James' starring Christopher Jones - a sort of James Dean lookalke. It used to be shown on kids tv about the late 60's - the same era as Tarzan starring Ron Ely. The programme showed JJ as as sort of western Robin Hood - robbing from the rich to give to the poor so as a biopic it's not really an authentic portrait!

The theme tune was memorable though:-

Jesse James, Jesse James.

He was cursed with a quick and restless gun. Jesse James!

And he played the game that no man ever won. Jesse James!

But his killin' turned him cold, he grew bitter, he grew bold

And he fought the world with a gold and hungry gun.

Gold and hungry gun,

Gold and hungry gun,

Blasting flame, a lasting shame,

On the man with a hungry gun.

Jesse James, Jesse James.

Listen to it yourself:-

http://www.tvacres.com/images/theme_james.wav

You'll be singing it all day now....

Liked
    80 times
    name='cornershop15']Euryale, would you mind if I repeat your post at 'Together Again'? It would look great with the photo of Pete Duel and Judy Carne I posted earlier.

Of course you can, Cornershop!

E.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain hhhhancock's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    Wagon Train was my favourite when I was a nipper. I even named my budgie Flint McCulloch, later on he/she laid an egg and I was devastated. Sad but true.

Later favourites were Rawhide, The Virginian and Bonanza. Oh for the good old days! If they made a western series nowadays it would probably be called CSI Boot Hill.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    I'd like to see some of the Wagon Train episodes that were broadcast in Britain in the early sixties. When Channel Four first started and re-showed the episodes with the original cast I didn't recognise any of them.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    Cheyenne, with Clint Walker was my favourite in the late 1950's. I loved the title song and was always singing it.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='James Fox'] Absolutely!

Chuck Connors was pretty fast with that rifle (in "The Rifleman"), too.

Kelo Henderson in 26 Men was pretty fast with a Colt.

Senior Member Country: England woody123's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times
    Anyone remember Hondo,it ran for 1 or 2 seasons in the Sunday afternoon BBC2 slot when Chapparall was on holiday.Can't remember who played Hondo Lane but it seemed to always end with his dog stealing a pie of some sort from the attractive widow woman he was friendly with.It had a cracking theme tune into the bargain.

The Dakotas was cancelled in the first run after the bible belt viewers kicked up about Jack Elam's character killing the bad guy inside a church.Advertisers threatened to boycott the channel and so an excellent series bit the dust.

I used to like Shenandoah with Robert Horton and one with Doug McClure and J.C.Flippen which I think was The Overlanders.

As a kid in the early 60's it seemed as though you could watch non-stop horse-operas every night by flicking from the Beeb to Tyne-Tees.Me old mum used to say that when the tv repair man came to keep our old Ferranti going for another few months,he had to bring a bucket and shovel to get rid of the horse-muck out of the set first.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Ralph Taeger as Hondo. Great series.

I have never seen The Dakotas, but I am told it is excellent.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast