Thread: On the Beat

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    A great number of Norman Wisdom's films i still watch today One of which i do favor is On The Beat the examination with the doctor my god it still makes me laugh just thinking about it this is the scene where Norman is trying his best to join the Police force and has gone into the Doctors surgery on stilts the examination is a total farce but its so funny. Up In The World where he takes a job for the wealthy Lady Banderville. There is also a scene here with Lionel Jefferies in which Norman makes a total farce again of but this too was so funny as was the scene where he takes a branch and pushes this into the bell which does not stop ringing. For me Norman Wisdom was a genius and i have to say thanks and pay great homage for the films that he made he was a true fantastic British comic and he knew exactly how to mix comedy and song together. Magnificent!!!!

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    The doctor's examination is one of the very best of Wisdom's scenes. I don't know why it isn't mentioned more in discussions of great comic moments. The part where Norman's false leg flies across the room after the doctor taps his knee is just brilliant. I watched this movie recently and it has stood up really well over the years. The kids football match is another highlight. I wonder if Wisdom borrowed the idea of street loads of policemen following his whistleblasts from Buster Keaton's "Cops" back in 1922.....

Quote Originally Posted by room 237
    A great number of Norman Wisdom's films i still watch today One of which i do favor is On The Beat the examination with the doctor my god it still makes me laugh just thinking about it this is the scene where Norman is trying his best to join the Police force and has gone into the Doctors surgery on stilts the examination is a total farce but its so funny. Up In The World where he takes a job for the wealthy Lady Banderville. There is also a scene here with Lionel Jefferies in which Norman makes a total farce again of but this too was so funny as was the scene where he takes a branch and pushes this into the bell which does not stop ringing. For me Norman Wisdom was a genius and i have to say thanks and pay great homage for the films that he made he was a true fantastic British comic and he knew exactly how to mix comedy and song together. Magnificent!!!!

Liked
    0 times
    I agree - it's a very funny scene and it 's a shame there are sop many Norman bashers around.

STITCH IN TIME still stands up well as well.

Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm not a b-i-g Wisdom fan , but my wife remembered a couple of his films with affection.

I was very happy to find a 12-movie set at Amazon UK (we paid �22.95 last month). The movies are well-restored, and a couple have commentaries. This is a great bargain for fans of Brit movie history, even if Wisdom isn't your cuppa.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Oh God, the medical examination in 'On the Beat' is an absolute corker - partly for the ridiculous fake legs and the *excellent* Eric Barker, who says 'got a bit of a limp there, haven't you?' in a cracking Welsh accent.

Even if I don't watch the rest of the film, I always see it up to this point.

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Absolutely agree, Andy H.

This scene with Norman Wisdom walking lop-sided after one of his

false legs flies off following a "tap on the knee" is a masterpiece. Even if you didn't like Wisdom it is a fabulous set piece. If you haven't seen it seek it out - you will not be disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by Andy H
    Oh God, the medical examination in 'On the Beat' is an absolute corker - partly for the ridiculous fake legs and the *excellent* Eric Barker, who says 'got a bit of a limp there, haven't you?' in a cracking Welsh accent.

Even if I don't watch the rest of the film, I always see it up to this point.

Liked
    0 times
    I have always been a Norman Wisdom fan too. His films echoed the George Formby films, the underdog that always got the girl and a big smile at the end that just gives you that "feel good" factor.