Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    There must have been many poignant moments throughout tv history down through the years.

One memory that I will take out of my mind was seeing Cliff Mitchelmore on 24 hours on the night of the Aberfan disaster, Aberfan was only a mile away from where I lived.

Cliff was in tears, I had never seen a grown man cry, I was six at the time.

I have always been moved by the song that Milicient Martin peformed on That Was the week That WAS." shortly after John F Kennedy was assasinated, too young to witness it at first hand but it is regurlary shown on archive tv retrpospectives, powerful stuff.

Seeing Sir Elton sing Candle In the wind, in Princess Diana'f funeral, how he didnt break down I will never know.

Seeing Elvis perform "My Way six weeks before his death was painfully sad,it was on a concert special shown over here in 1978. This really didnt get to me until I saw it in the cinema on the documetary ."This Is Elvis.2

His estate will not allow this special to be shown again.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='bhowells']There must have been many poignant moments throughout tv history down through the years.

One memory that I will take out of my mind was seeing Cliff Mitchelmore on 24 hours on the night of the Aberfan disaster, Aberfan was only a mile away from where I lived.

Cliff was in tears, I had never seen a grown man cry, I was six at the time.

I have always been moved by the song that Milicient Martin peformed on That Was the week That WAS." shortly after John F Kennedy was assasinated, too young to witness it at first hand but it is regurlary shown on archive tv retrpospectives, powerful stuff.

Seeing Sir Elton sing Candle In the wind, in Princess Diana'f funeral, how he didnt break down I will never know.

Seeing Elvis perform "My Way six weeks before his death was painfully sad,it was on a concert special shown over here in 1978. This really didnt get to me until I saw it in the cinema on the documetary ."This Is Elvis.2

His estate will not allow this special to be shown again.

Programs about Aberfan still have the power to shock and to move me to tears. I was driving westwards along the M4 a few years ago and I had been pointing out the sights to my passengers, some German visitors. When we passed a signpost to Aberfan I started to tell the story but had to stop because I was choking back the tears.

Millicent Martin singing about Kennedy the day after he was killed is still very moving. I can't find the full thing, but there's part of it on this clip

[YOUTUBE]ox3Umezh8QE[/YOUTUBE]

As for Elton John, he was probably used to singing it by then. He'd been singing it at almost every funeral since Marilyn's

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the clip Steve every bit as powerful as I remembered.

Senior Member Country: UK Freddy's Avatar
    Liked
    243 times
    Every Remembrance Day, The Cenotaph and Nimrod.

Watching the Proms after Diana died and the conductor requesting no applause after the playing of Faures Requiem.

Having a programme interrupted with live coverage of the Twin Towers, the knowledge that people were dying, phoning their loved ones, heroic sacrifice and deeds unrecorded.

The live coverage of Bradford's Valley Stadium fire.

Freddy

Liked
    1 times
    The applause outside the church at the funeral of Diana.

Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    0 times
    churchills funeral passing down the thames with the cranes 'bowing' as the barge passes

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    name='Freddy']Every Remembrance Day, The Cenotaph and Nimrod.

Watching the Proms after Diana died and the conductor requesting no applause after the playing of Faures Requiem.

Having a programme interrupted with live coverage of the Twin Towers, the knowledge that people were dying, phoning their loved ones, heroic sacrifice and deeds unrecorded.

The live coverage of Bradford's Valley Stadium fire.

Freddy

I agree with all of the above,including the Dunblane tragedy. Nimrod always gets my tears flowing.

The attack on the Twin towers will be for a lot of people that "before and after" moment in history. When I heard an aircraft had gone into one of the buildings,at first I thought it was a light aircraft lost in fog. Then I heard it was an airliner,but still dismissed it as an accident. When a second one went in,I said;"This is no accident."

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    69 times
    name='ggm']churchills funeral passing down the thames with the cranes 'bowing' as the barge passes

I doubt another Prime Minister will get such reverence!

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    1 times
    name='Marky B']I doubt another Prime Minister will get such reverence!

Ta Ta

Marky B

Can't see it Marky B.! Joe Public doesn't trust Politicos any more..............of any persausion! Peril to any that thinks we've 'Bought into' his/her message.

Wilson? Thatch? Major? Tone? Gordon.......................

No, The docks are gone, so are the cranes.

I can't see any World leaders anymore.Nelson M. was the last. The rest? I believe the word is 'Poop'...............

Liked
    0 times
    Any news bulletin which reports on and shows in detail the plight of famine and war in a lot of African nations.We are all so lucky to even have food and a home, let alone a sense of security. The recent atrocities in DR Congo have been apalling and the civil war, in which life seemingly has little value, has been going on for several years.

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    The Aberfan disaster and also what happened at Dunblane, those poor children and thier parents, the footage on the news at Dunblane as the parents were running to the school is gut wrenching!

xx

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    I agree that Dunblane, because of the targeting of children, remains one of the most harrowing episodes to recall. I still remember clearly a radio interview with Dr Mick North, just coming to terms with the loss of his wife and then losing his little girl in this massacre. He said how his little girl was the only living link with his wife and what a great companion she was on trips or holidays, almost like a grown up in some ways. Then she would turn around and give out because she couldn't have another lolly or whatever and remind him that she was still a little girl! How cruel that after the loss of his wife , his little girl should be taken away from him so senselessly. It really moved me and brought home the deeply human repercussions of it all. His account was one of a number collected in a book of interviews with families directly affected by the loss that some of you may have read called "Dunblane: Our Year of Tears". I have meant to read this but keep putting it off for some reason...

name='faginsgirl']The Aberfan disaster and also what happened at Dunblane, those poor children and thier parents, the footage on the news at Dunblane as the parents were running to the school is gut wrenching!

xx

Senior Member Country: England faginsgirl's Avatar
    Liked
    416 times
    Yes Edward, how awful for him, can`t imagine anything worse for one person to deal with. It was truly a a terrible event.

xx

Liked
    0 times
    Challenger disaster, January 1986.

When I read the book 'Challenger,a major malfunction' and realised what a tremendous clusterfuck it really was, I was really shocked

Liked
    69 times
    name='doebag']Challenger disaster, January 1986.

When I read the book 'Challenger,a major malfunction' and realised what a tremendous clusterfuck it really was, I was really shocked

Yes,the look on the faces of relatives as they witnessed the explosion was devastating.

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    1 times
    A more recent moving moment was when Chelsea player Frank Lampard bravely stepped forward and scored a vital penalty against Liverpool in the Champions League semi-final - just days after his mother had died.

That game was beamed live around the world and hardened men everywhere shed tears for the lad's courage and his sad loss.

An unforgettable moment for all those that saw it.

Dave.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='David Brent']A more recent moving moment was when Chelsea player Frank Lampard bravely stepped forward and scored a vital penalty against Liverpool in the Champions League semi-final - just days after his mother had died.

That game was beamed live around the world and hardened men everywhere shed tears for the lad's courage and his sad loss.

An unforgettable moment for all those that saw it.

Dave.

I have been wanting to include Frank in this section but have resisted because among some of the posts (especially Aberfan and Dunblane) it may have seemed inappropriate.

Thanks David for including it.

I shed a tear that night for Frank and his Dad who was watching in the stand.

I also had a lump in my throat when Avram sank to his knees at the end of the match and was obviously praying. He later revealed that he was praying for his father who had survived the Holocaust and for his father's first family who hadn't. The match was played on Holocaust Day.

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    I will never forget the day i was watching Grandstand (my mum was

watching as well), they cut to the fire at Bradford football ground.

The shocking sight of a figure head to foot in flames collapsing on the pitch.

The poor, poor man. Absolutely terrible!

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    Changing tack somewhat, the first time I saw the ending to the final episode of Blackadder Goes Forth, I was gobsmacked....British comedy, the best at least, has always had an undercurrent of tragedy....and here it burst the banks. The only similar moment I recall was in one of the missing-then-recovered Dad's Army episodes, The Battle of Godfrey's Cottage....in the middle of this farce you realise, as the characters realise and briefly discuss it, that they haven't a prayer of surviving a German invasion and the best they can hope for is to buy time for the regulars before being squatted like flies. And they pick up their rifles, Jones, Mainwaring and Wilson IIRC....and go off to get killed, they think.

Liked
    1 times
    the Queen with a tear in her eye at the Cenotaph after her mother died.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast