Senior Member Country: Canada
    Liked
    0 times
    NO LOVE FOR JOHNNIE (Ralph Thomas 1960) is a perfect small drama.

In just 100 minutes, we meet youngish Johnnie Byrne, MP (Peter Finch) - a striving Yorkshire boy who's overcome his regional background to be a rising star in a 1950's Labour government.

But Johnnie has a Marxist wife and a working class constituency back 'ome that is not happy with his London style. Johnnie has the charm and eloquence to be sought by BBC TV, but not enough weight to win a Cabinet post.

Johnnie makes foolish choices, joining a divisive faction of the Party while playing with his personal life. He ignores sound advice from old political mentors (especially Stanley Holloway in a superb performance), while falling into a trap set by some cynics. Donald Pleasence is very oily in this film.

If this were an American Capra-corn movie, justice would prevail, Johnnie would be reformed and all would end happily.

But no, it's Brit realism. A terrific story, well told. A life-long personal fave of mine.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Sounds an interesting Movie Keechelus, just looked at the cast on IMDB, I see Rosalie Crutchley plays the Wife, I was a fan of hers too!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    2 times
    The film was based on Wilfred Fienburgh's novel. Fienburgh was the Labour left-wing MP for Islington who tragically died, aged 38, in a car accident in 1958. Had he lived he would certainly been a major figure in Goverment and today would possibly be occupying a similar niche as Wegie Benn.

From his wiki entry the novel is only vaguely autobiographical. Wiki gives his birth place as Ilford but the book inside cover bio gives it as Bradford - I suspect his publisher was indulging in postumous hype.

Wilfred Fienburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

D.

Liked
    0 times
    A movie of this quality - brisk writing and good acting by some very notable performers - should be a full-feature DVD someday.

JOHNNIE didn't invent the political intrigue genre, but it is, I think, a strong predecessor to epics like the excellent HOUSE OF CARDS trilogy.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    1 times
    agreed a very good film

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    Worryingly the main thing I remember from this film is a young Ollie Reed as a drunk at a party with a bucket on his head!

Liked
    0 times
    Pardon my delayed thanks to dylan for the Wikipedia reference.

This article has given me more insight, and some other avenues to explore.

I am grateful.

Liked
    0 times
    Imagine that you are a lifelong, avid movie fan. Of the countless films you have seen, you were able to see one particular selection just once in 1961. This film proved so effective that you are still hoping for a chance to see it again, almost fifty years later. This is my experience with the Peter Finch picture, "No Love for Johnnie". Not every critic I have read hailed this film, but it is a handsomely produced and highly effective character-driven drama. Why does it remain consistently unavailable in any home entertainment format? This is a sad mistake!

Liked
    0 times
    Widescreen said, with eloquence:
    "This film proved so effective that you are still hoping for a chance to see it again, almost fifty years later. This is my experience with the Peter Finch picture, "No Love for Johnnie". Not every critic I have read hailed this film, but it is a handsomely produced and highly effective character-driven drama. Why does it remain consistently unavailable in any home entertainment format? "
    Thanks for your endorsement of NO LOVE FOR JOHNNIE - it gripped me when I saw it as a kid on Canadian TV forty years ago. A timeless story, it is just as good today.

A PS: One of the two credited screenwriters is Mordecai Richler, the acerbic Canadian novelist whose career was just about to take off when he co-scripted JOHNNIE. I'll bet some of JOHNNIE's most biting moments were Richler's contribution.

Liked
    0 times
    NO LOVE FOR JOHNNY was infinitely better in all respects. I saw this movie when it was first released and agree with an earlier poster in this thread who said that almost 50 years on he still thinks about it...

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    Watched this film yesterday evening and very good I thought it was too, I was intrigued by the scenes on the terrace at the Palace of Westminster, would a Film company be allowed to use it as a location I wonder?, probably not today!, though on closer inspection the Buses seen in the background crossing Westminster Bridge are pretend ones, I thought Mary Peach gave a good performance also, though I'd never heard of her before, it's a shame she didn't go on to be more famous!

Senior Member Country: UK Merton Park's Avatar
    Liked
    9 times
    I think she is married to Jimmy Sangster of Hammer Films fame and moved to the US in the early 1970's if not before.

Liked
    0 times
    Mary Peach will be coming to Northampton in October as part of the Malcolm Arnold festival at the Derngate.

"The afternoon begins with a look at Malcolm Arnold the film music composer. This year we will focus on his music for the 1961 film No Love for Jonnie, considered to be director Ralph Thomas�s finest achievement. We will be joined by the actress Mary Peach, who starred in the film alongside Peter Finch."

For more details :-

Royal And Derngate - Arnold Festival Events

News and current events

Ben