Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    German troops trying to surrender to US troops in WW2. Set in snowy weather, may be western front during battle of the bulge in holland or something. The German troops use ingenious methods to try and make friends with the US troops including building a snowman outside their hut and throwing snowballs at them.

The US troops meet the soliders who try and surrender but fail to tell their officer, who then sees the meeting take place at a distance, gets the wrong idea and accidently shoots all the germans with a sniper rifle. The germans are all old or very young and tired of the war.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm pretty sure that this is A Midnight Clear. Had some very good reviews when it came out (early 90s), but very few viewers and seems to have largely disappeared from sight.

I saw it when it came out on video - very good indeed.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Yeah that's the one...shame really, can't buy an region 2 copy. Remember seeing it when i was in school.

Thanks!

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='danbobspanface']Yeah that's the one...shame really, can't buy an region 2 copy. Remember seeing it when i was in school.

Thanks!

You can buy a very cheap vhs on amazon.

Amazon.co.uk: A Midnight Clear [1992]: Peter Berg, Kevin Dillon, Arye Gross, Ethan Hawke, Gary Sinise, Frank Whaley, John C. McGinley, Larry Joshua, David Jensen, Curt Lowens, Rachel Griffin, Timothy S. Shoemaker, Kelly Gately, Bill Osborn, Andre Lam

Senior Member Country: England woody123's Avatar
    Liked
    11 times
    It's been shown at least twice on UK tv in the last couple of years.Does anyone know if it is based on the same source as the strange Burt Lancaster film "Castle Keep" as there seem to be a number of similarities.

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    its out on reg 1 dvd. released by Columbia

Super Moderator Country: Scotland
    Liked
    27 times
    name='woody']It's been shown at least twice on UK tv in the last couple of years.Does anyone know if it is based on the same source as the strange Burt Lancaster film "Castle Keep" as there seem to be a number of similarities.

Castle Keep was a 1965 published novel written by William Eastlake (1917-1997) adapted for the film of the same name released in 1969.

A Midnight Clear published in 1982 written by William Wharton (1925-2008) was the source for the 1992 film of the same name.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    This movie was directed and adpated by actor / director Keith Gordon, who is a friend of mine.

it was shot entirely on location in the USA, with the interiors of the Chateau being shot in an old school (the outside was a mock up) The actors wore wet suits under their uniforms when filming the snow sequences. The actress who played the young girl the soldiers all visit in New York is now Gordon's wife. It is a superb film.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='Azanti']This movie was directed and adpated by actor / director Keith Gordon, who is a friend of mine.

it was shot entirely on location in the USA, with the interiors of the Chateau being shot in an old school (the outside was a mock up) The actors wore wet suits under their uniforms when filming the snow sequences. The actress who played the young girl the soldiers all visit in New York is now Gordon's wife. It is a superb film.

It is a superb film. I am an admirer of Keith's work, he is a very talented man. I featured him in a recent Name That Face quiz on this site.

LINK: http://filmdope.com/forums/fu...-face-273.html