Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    2 times
    Does anyone have the 1968 ITV Play A Matter Of Damonds with Cliff Richard in a straight acting role as a cat burglar?

"ITV Playhouse" A Matter of Diamonds (1968)

http://i20.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/eb/58/1a5e_1.JPG

I know a copy surfaced in 2006 and was screened at the NFT last December, so I wondered if it was on the trade circuit yet. I have lots to trade. Thanks.

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    A bootlegger would clean up with this one....it is worth thousands of �����, so don't give it away !

Liked
    1 times
    new to me crunchie , cant recall it at all.

Liked
    2 times
    Does anyone have this ITV Playhouse drama broadcast on ATV on 1st April 1968 please?

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    If anybody has this, it is worth a small fortune ! Take care......

Liked
    0 times
    Just noticed from Smudge that at the Kaleidoscope - The Classic Television Organisation there will be a showing of this very rare play at 13:00 on Saturday 5th June 2010.

Sadly it clashes with a showing of a rare TOTP in the main room, so it's just like pre video recorder days when you have to make the choice.

if anyone else is going, please make yourself known to me - I look just like my avatar!

Liked
    1 times
    One day I'll make it to a Kaleidoscope event! June 5th is the day we come back from holiday (volcanoes allowing) and we're going straight to my Mum's 70th birthday bash!

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    As usual, I will be at KScope - and open to hearty greetings from any fellow board members who may be there (Mr C.)

Smudge

Senior Member Country: England cornershop15's Avatar
    Liked
    177 times
    Rehearsals for 'A Matter of Diamonds' (Daily Mirror, left, and Daily Express, 28th February 1968)

Featuring Cliff Richard and cult actress Marian Diamond, future star of Tightrope (hence the accolade):

Daily Express preview, 1st April 1968:

I'm more surprised by Evelyn Keyes' appearance in this curiosity. It was just as odd seeing her play the love interest of Robert Cawdron in an episode of From a Birds Eye View (underrated ITC sitcom). Apart from her celebrity marriages, Evelyn is best known to me for the films Johnny O'Clock and The Prowler.

Ideally, I would like A Matter of Diamonds to be a 'Special Feature' on the next DVD release of Two a Penny.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    I remember watching this on its original transmission 46 and a half years ago when I was 21 and I remember it being quite a novelty at the time seeing Cliff in a television drama play that had nothing to do with the musical comedy that he was so used to doing and was so good at. I haven't seen it since, but I would like to and I hope it gets a DVD release soon.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    23 times
    I'm a bit curious about Cornershop's Daily Mirror feature which claims Cliff in 1968 to be 37 then! The Daily Express fulfils it claim that it Cliff's FIRST TV drama (not specific enough in the Daily Mirror). However, was not Serious Charge a dramatic start to his career though?

The production does seem to go with Two a Penny as a back-to-back item. Maybe this TV drama was a warm-up for the feature film released at the Prince Charles Cinema almost simultaneously.
    Last edited by Rick C; 17-10-14 at 04:14 PM.

Senior Member Country: England darrenburnfan's Avatar
    Liked
    98 times
    He was definitely only 27 in April, 1968 and wouldn't be 28 until October that year.

Liked
    0 times
    Kaleidoscope have shown "A Matter of Diamonds " a couple of times, in fact, I think, as recently as this year (most likely at their Music event in June)

Liked
    2 times
    Hopefully they'll pop it onto their new YouTube website :-) https://www.youtube.com/user/KTVarchives