Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wrong Box

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    1 times
    My recollection of this film was that it was extremely funny in a "Goon Show" type of way.

Looked very lavish and beautiful, too. Some great visual gags, like the aftermath of a train crash (you'll have to see it to know what I mean !)

Also, it's the only time Peter Cook managed to make me laugh !

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Well oxfam1uk If "it's the only time Peter Cook managrd to make you laugh", you and I are cut from different cloth.

Liked
    0 times
    this was on channel 5 a couple of weeks ago.I have just watched it and i found it to be unbelievably unfunny,apart from the marvellous Wilfre lawson as the butler.It was his last big role.He looks quite ill and unfortunately died the year the film was made.So all i can say is that you should save your money.Cook,Sellers and Moore are at their worst in this film.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffers
    I loved it! I've heard it said there were too many actors chasing too few laughs, but for me there were some wonderful scenes and performances.

Peter Sellers as a very dubious doctor, surrounded by cats, one of which he used as a blotter, John Mills trying in vain to murder Ralph Richardson, Wilfrid Lawson almost stealing the movie as an ancient butler, Cook & Moore playing their usual double act (but nothing wrong with that!) and even Tony Hancock in a brief cameo as a police inspector. Caine & Nanette Newman did OK, too, and it was just a gentle comedy with moments of blackness.

It's not by any means typical of Bryan's usual output, but there is a lot to enjoy about it.
    Yes, I agree wholeheartedly!! Well said that man!!

I saw this when it was first released and it's had very little publicity since then. An under-rated classic!

Liked
    0 times
    Fabulously darkly comedic film with Dudley Moore and Peter Cooke. It had a big star cast too. Ralph Richardson, John Mills, Michael Caine, Nanette Newman and a wonderful final performance by Wilfred Lawson among them. I think the Director was Bryan Forbes. Seem to remember the main plot was around the theme of Dud N Pete trying to scam thier way to a fortune from a Tontine by bumping off those in the queue in front of them. A good few years since I have seen it but loved every second of it.

Liked
    0 times
    This was on afternoon tv and I watched my recording of it yesterday.

Having never seen it before I was slightly disappointed---not that it was bad, just that with the talent involved I was expecting better.

However, Wilfred Lawson was quite superb in it, a wonderful performance I thought.

Senior Member Country: United States TimR's Avatar
    Liked
    29 times
    I saw this as a boy, and it served as an introduction to a type of British comedy that I had not seen before in American films or on American television in those pre-video and pre-cable years. Monty Python had just been introduced on New York television at that time and was developing a cult following among my friends, and this seemed to fit alongside: a more subtle weirdness that parodied a society so civlized and sophisticated that it produced its own self-effacing humor.

I still remember laughing at those scenes with the bizarre references to eggs. The film itself is a little slow and stuffy, but the best scenes are minor classics.

Liked
    151 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daveoc

Having never seen it before I was slightly disappointed---not that it was bad, just that with the talent involved I was expecting better.

However, Wilfred Lawson was quite superb in it, a wonderful performance I thought.
    I think Ralph Richardson and Pete n Dud are very good, but Michael Caine and nepotistic Nanette Newman are cloying together and rub again much of the black humour.

Like many of the all-star comedies of the time it needed a firmer hand on the rudder.

Senior Member Country: UK LocalHero's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    I hadn't seen it for years and caught it on Channel 5 over the recent late May Bank Holiday.

Some of it was filmed around near where I live so it was great to have a look at it from that point of view too.

Member Country: England Bunnyboy's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Lots of scenes filmed in Royal Crescent, Bath. The train crash scene's a real laugh and the music's lovely too! The film has a real sixties 'Sgt Pepper' feel to it despite being set in Victorian England. Check out the opening titles too for some great graphics.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi Everyone, I have just discovered your site and joined immediately! This is my kinda obsession!

I have a true story about the Wrong Box. When I was 21 I left New Zeland for my OE (Overseas Experience - a sort of Rite Of Passage/Comming Of Age thingy.

Anyway, I was wandering the streets of Soho (as you do) when I chanced upon a movie theatre showing a film with two of my favourite (at the time) comedians Pete & Dud. "Right" I said "This is me" and marched straight in. Not being terribly sure of British movie going protocols I was quite amazed to be ushered straight to my seat completely bypassing the box-office and even more gob-smacked when an absolutely stunning woman sat next to me and introduced herself as Nanette Newman.

Suddenly, the penny dropped! in my inimitable antipodean manner I had simply blundered into the premiere of the The Wrong Box. I was so speechless and embarassed that at the end of the movie I just snuck out. Which was rather a pity because out in the foyer I had to walk right passed Pete & Dud!!

Still, I thought it was a great movie then and I still do now!!

Senior Member Country: United States torinfan's Avatar
    Liked
    71 times
    It's been a very long time since I've seen this but I remember it as being very funny.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    There is a Spanish DVD of 'The Wrong Box' which also has an English soundtrack. I haven't got it yet but it's on my list.

Easiest way to get it may be ebay.

Senior Member Country: UK Geoffers's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Greenhill
    There is a Spanish DVD of 'The Wrong Box' which also has an English soundtrack. I haven't got it yet but it's on my list.

Easiest way to get it may be ebay.
    I don't know if this is any indication of what's to come but the BBFC shows for The Wrong Box:

VideoTrailer20/11/2008Sony Pictures Home Entertainment

which at least shows some recent action by Sony.

Senior Member Country: Ireland
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Btlfannz
    I have a true story about the Wrong Box...
    Sounds like something out of The Adventures Of Barry McKenzie...

Liked
    0 times
    I haven't seen the film for years, but I do remember it as being particularly well made and perhaps the most eccentric and effective of those all-star-cast, internationalist comedies of the 1960s.

I would love to see it again.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    Seems a bit dark at times, but it suits the feel of the film.

I have to disagree with the lister who said that the Peter Sellers character was unfunny - I love his role in this, and the bit where he uses the kitten as a blotter is excellent!

Ditto the train wreck - it has to be seen to be believed!

Alistair

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    I believe Ralph Richardson wore the same smoking jacket in this as in Doctor Zhivago "as it was very comfortable".

Senior Member Country: England Number Six's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    Quote Originally Posted by siriami
    I have to disagree with the lister who said that the Peter Sellers character was unfunny - I love his role in this, and the bit where he uses the kitten as a blotter is excellent!
    Have to agree with you there

Liked
    4 times
    I must disagree with whoever said the film is unfunny. Each to one's own of course, but Ive always loved The Wrong Box. An extraordinary cast, for one thing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast