Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Wrong Box

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    11 times
    I have just watched the Bryan Forbes film, The Wrong Box, yet again as it always makes me laugh. There are so many well known actors in it in small roles it is difficult to recognize everybody.

However, I wonder if anybody can solve a query for me. Towards the end of the film in the scene where the hearses are dashing about, you see several quick glimpses of a little girl and boy seated on the grass laughing at the hearses going by. Is the little girl Bryan Forbes' eldest daughter, Sarah..now Sarah Standing, wife of the actor, John Standing? I THINK I read in a biography of Nanette Newman's years ago that her children did appear in little non speaking roles in some of their films as they took them around the world with them when on location but, of course, she is not credited at the end of the film. I reckon you can recognize her even at that age as the Sarah Standing of today but....can anybody confirm this by some clever method. The internet does not reveal any info, likewise the IMDB and I can't find any websites for any of the family to send them a message.

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    (cully @ Mar 19 2006, 04:58 PM)

I have just watched the Bryan Forbes film, The Wrong Box, yet again as it always makes me laugh. There are so many well known actors in it in small roles it is difficult to recognize everybody.

However, I wonder if anybody can solve a query for me. Towards the end of the film in the scene where the hearses are dashing about, you see several quick glimpses of a little girl and boy seated on the grass laughing at the hearses going by. Is the little girl Bryan Forbes' eldest daughter, Sarah..now Sarah Standing, wife of the actor, John Standing? I THINK I read in a biography of Nanette Newman's years ago that her children did appear in little non speaking roles in some of their films as they took them around the world with them when on location but, of course, she is not credited at the end of the film. I reckon you can recognize her even at that age as the Sarah Standing of today but....can anybody confirm this by some clever method. The internet does not reveal any info, likewise the IMDB and I can't find any websites for any of the family to send them a message.
    The times when they do get a mention on the internet is usually when they mention in an interview that they were in the film. Like Sarah being one of the children at the end of Whistle Down the Wind (1961).

It's possible that she was also used in The Wrong Box

Steve

Rennie
    (cully @ Mar 19 2006, 04:58 PM

Dislike name dropping, but as it now seems the vogue on this discussion board here is the answer straight from the horses mouth. Bryan Forbes, who is always on hand to help me in my research. He has kindly e-mailed the answer:-

".................The answer is that there are two little girls (not one girl and a

boy) sitting by the bandstand in The Wrong Box. One is our daughter Sarah and the other was a school friend. Hope this answers you. Bryan Forbes"

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Thanks Rennie,

We'll get Sarah's full filmography eventually

Steve

Liked
    0 times
    Just wondering if there are others out there who have enjoyed this film as much as I have?

Wonderful cast, a lot of heavyweights... plus my most favourite screen moment ever: Peter Sellers as the doddering Dr Pratt, writes a note and then uses a kitten to blot the paper!

The film is rarely shown in Canada (unfortunately), and I was wondering if it's as rare in the UK? Last time I saw it was about ten years ago.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozkiwi
    Just wondering if there are others out there who have enjoyed this film as much as I have?

Wonderful cast, a lot of heavyweights... plus my most favourite screen moment ever: Peter Sellers as the doddering Dr Pratt, writes a note and then uses a kitten to blot the paper!

The film is rarely shown in Canada (unfortunately), and I was wondering if it's as rare in the UK? Last time I saw it was about ten years ago.
    Have not seen this one in years - would like to see it again - keep eyes open for transmission on tv.

Liked
    0 times
    Like Jim, I am waiting to see this film, because it has always eluded me, and with the stat-studded it is on my must see list.

Liked
    0 times
    Lovely film, Is it on DVD?

Super Moderator Country: Fiji
    Liked
    114 times
    It's been about on SKY CINEMA within the last year or so - keep 'em peeled - no doubt it will crop up again...

SMUDGE

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    I was always annoyed by the chaotic ending which fails to resolve anything. I never like those. But it does have excellent work by Sellers, Pete and Dud, and especially Wilfred Lawson and Ralph Richardson.

Some years ago I read the original book, which isn't quite satisfactory either, thought it contains some great bits. But it's a COMPLETELY different story!

Senior Member Country: UK Geoffers's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Redstar
    Lovely film, Is it on DVD?
    I'm sure it will make DVD eventually, given the company & the cast involved. I bought an ex-rental US VHS video some years, which is reasonable quality.

Bryan Forbes got some terrific performances out of the cast - even Tony Hancock, then fading fast from the scene.

It's also one of composer John Barry's rarest LPs, getting only a US release and still not re-issued on CD.

Member Country: England bitterblue's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozkiwi

Ah! Fantastic - the whole of the Sellers 'Moggy' scene is an item by itself! In fact when I was trying to recall what film it came from some years ago I went through all the Sellers comedies without ever thinking of the Wrong Box as a contender.

I had a similar problem trying to recall where a great scene with Margaret Rutherford shoplifting in a department store originated - someone eventually pointed out it was from a Norman Wisdom film.

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    Its a wonderfully silly film, and yes Sellers' moggy scenes are terrific, but there's also some humorous romantic moments with Nanette Newman and Michael Caine.

A racy shot of her ankle, for instance.

Great music too.

It was on channel 5 last spring and the other day I stumbled on the DVD I made then, so I'll be taking another look.

If anyone need to see it, PM me,

Geoff

Senior Member Country: England Harbottle's Avatar
    Liked
    92 times
    Quote Originally Posted by D Cairns
    I was always annoyed by the chaotic ending which fails to resolve anything. I never like those. But it does have excellent work by Sellers, Pete and Dud, and especially Wilfred Lawson and Ralph Richardson.

Some years ago I read the original book, which isn't quite satisfactory either, thought it contains some great bits. But it's a COMPLETELY different story!
    I agree completely an excellent film, with fine performances by all.... until that awful ending! It seemed as though they completly ran out of ideas and just went for the tired old chase routiine.

Liked
    0 times
    It has a few faults including an unsatisfactory ending but it is a marvellous 60's period piece nevertheless with fine performances by all concerned, a showcase of British comedy actors of the day, Wilfrid Lawson is wonderful and cameos of Tony Hancock as a bumbling detective, Cicely Courtneidge, Thorley Walters and Irene Handl.

It is sad that it is not on DVD.

Liked
    0 times
    Hi All

I saw this film on C5 last year and have been looking for a copy on DVD ever since. Great film. Packed with stars. I think the film will be be available commercially soon though !

Play.com have a listing for it now. If you enter your email address at this page, they will email you when it becomes available :

http://play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/3330541/T...x/Product.html

regards

Mark

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks very much Mark.

Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Redstar
    It has a few faults including an unsatisfactory ending but it is a marvellous 60's period piece nevertheless with fine performances by all concerned, a showcase of British comedy actors of the day, Wilfrid Lawson is wonderful and cameos of Tony Hancock as a bumbling detective, Cicely Courtneidge, Thorley Walters and Irene Handl.

It is sad that it is not on DVD.
    Redstar said it all!

Unfortunately Hancock committed suicide in Australia the following year.

My favorite line in the film - Michael Caine to Nannette Newman : "Thank you for pointing out how obscene eggs are."

Liked
    0 times
    I love The Wrong Box and really like the ending. I think the film is trying to illustrate that the pursuit of money is nothing compared to the pursuit of love. At the very end the money blows away. Michael and Julia are the only ones not interested in the money because they have found each other. It's as if they are the real winners because they have discovered something far more valuable than mere money. What do you think?

Senior Member Country: UK Geoffers's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times
    I loved it! I've heard it said there were too many actors chasing too few laughs, but for me there were some wonderful scenes and performances.

Peter Sellers as a very dubious doctor, surrounded by cats, one of which he used as a blotter, John Mills trying in vain to murder Ralph Richardson, Wilfrid Lawson almost stealing the movie as an ancient butler, Cook & Moore playing their usual double act (but nothing wrong with that!) and even Tony Hancock in a brief cameo as a police inspector. Caine & Nanette Newman did OK, too, and it was just a gentle comedy with moments of blackness.

It's not by any means typical of Bryan's usual output, but there is a lot to enjoy about it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast