Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    I remember when Clifford T Ward's widow rang up Terry Wogan on his radio and asked him to announce his death.

A great singer!

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    0 times
    crazy (patsy cline)

i will always love you (dolly parton)

my late mums favourites

these are the days of our lives (queen) for my old youth worker peter

behind blue eyes (the who)

love reign o'er me (the who)

hello again (neil diamond)

love on the rocks (neil diamond) four songs that mean alot to me and my best friend

the sweetest thing (u2) first song i heard as i stepped out of the doctors office after being told im gonna be a mum

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Gotta agree on Behind Blue Eyes

Stone Cold, Jimmy Barnes

Jackie Brown, John Mellencamp

Liked
    0 times
    name='Briant']Yes a great song. However her father was the actor David Bruce ( real name Marden McBroom.)

Your absolutely right of course, I have been trying to think why I thought Gene Lochart was Amanda Mcbrooms Dad. and I remembered that I saw Gene Lockharts name in the cast list of "They Died With their Boots On." in the Radio Times Film guide. "They Died With their boots on is mentioned in the "Eroll Flynn song and I guess I put two and two together.

Thanks for putting me right.

Liked
    69 times
    name='sarahs']

love on the rocks (neil diamond)

He gave a performance of that song on the Jonathan Ross Show last week. Great!

Ta Ta

Marky B

Liked
    69 times
    Always On My Mind - the Willy Nelson version!

What A Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong

Ta Ta

Marky B

Senior Member Country: UK Chevyman's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    name='Marky B']Always On My Mind - the Willy Nelson version!

Ta Ta

Marky B

Always preferred Willy Nelson's version

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    36 times

Liked
    0 times
    name='Marky B']He gave a performance of that song on the Jonathan Ross Show last week. Great!

Ta Ta

Marky B

I have heard a couple of tracks from Neil Diamonds new album which has become a big hit in the album charts in the States. Very impressed with what I heard, I have always found his musical canon to be a bit of a curates egg, but his early songs like,"Girl You;ll Be A Woman soon" were wonderful. Also love the work of his Brill Building contempories such as Gerry Goffin and Carole King and Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich.

Liked
    0 times
    Two Jacques Brels song translated into English by Mort Shuman and Eric Blau, Fannette a song about a plain man who falls in love with a beautiful girl who eventually swims out to sea with another man never to return and The Old Folks(Le Vieux) a touching commentary on old age.

Neil Sedaka and Howard Greenfields,"One More Ride on the Merry Go Round." recorded by Peggy Lee. Sedaka has also recorded it himself, it has also been covered to good effect by Jane Oliver.

I have seen two guys sing it on Youtube and they made a right has out of it.

One More Ride on the Merry Go round is an underated gem.

Liked
    0 times
    The Charles Aznavour song, "La Boeheme."

Liked
    0 times
    Everybody Knows by the Dixie Chicks and a completely different song with the same name by Leonard Cohen; this latter also sung in a hard driving way by Don Henley. Both hit a mark for me.

Senior Member Country: UK homeguard's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    In 1994 I was on my way to Bosnia with medical supplies and the sixteen year old fruit of the loins who was using the trip as his public service component of a Silver Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme. Numptie or what? He thought it was great, driving the Landrover in a country with no police. After four weeks of taking food and medicine into the mountains in December on a daily basis, he was getting fed up, and I was working out the averages every evening that tomorrow must end in tragedy. Finally we left that poor torn and ravaged country and started back. Worn out, and not terribly clean, we negotiated our last trip through Prozor (where the locals used to pelt the Landrovers with human excrement - on a good day), and climbed up to the top of the mountains that border Bosnia with Croatia. Then it happened. As we reached the top, the radio in the Landrover locked onto a station in civilization, somewhere, and Satchmo began 'All The Time In The World'. The lad just happened to be videoing the view on that sunny December morning and we now have, on film, father and son trying desperately to ignore the words and haunting melody of that song - and failing. Tagged onto the end of a trip filled with the sheer stupidity of the most senseless conflict of modern time, it was too much to bear.

So my final nomination for the saddest song in my life is 'All The Time In The World' by Louis Armstrong.

Regards,

HG

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    name='bhowells']Two Jacques Brels song translated into English

Crikey, thought you were going to nominate 'Seasons in the Sun' there

Brel is a genius...

Liked
    0 times
    name='dremble wedge']Crikey, thought you were going to nominate 'Seasons in the Sun' there

Brel is a genius...

Oh My God no!

Seasons In the Sun Is a travesty, Terry Jacks added insult to injury by a being a terrible singer.

Yes, Brel is a genius. I dont speak French so obviously if hear a Brel recording that hasnt been translated I am at a disadvantage. Same is true of Aznavour. On the other hand many have said that non French speakers can still enjoy Brel, his talents were extraordinary.

Someone on youtube has had the brilliant idea of posting some Brel peformances with subtitiles. Saw him peform Bonbons, brilliant.

Whenver that old chestnut,"Name some famous Belgians rears its head, immedialetly mention Brel.

Senior Member Country: Australia wadsy's Avatar
    Liked
    40 times
    The song Cuddle Up from The Beach Boys Carl & the Passions album.

sang by the late Dennis Wilson. Very very touching!!

Liked
    1 times
    It's impossible by Perry Como.

Senior Member Country: Australia ShirlGirl's Avatar
    Liked
    199 times
    name='Marky B']Always On My Mind - the Willy Nelson version!

Ta Ta

Marky B
    Now you're talking! I would put them both high up on the top 10 recordings ever made in the history of the world.

Senior Member Country: Australia ShirlGirl's Avatar
    Liked
    199 times
    name='homeguard']In 1994 I was on my way to Bosnia with medical supplies and the sixteen year old fruit of the loins who was using the trip as his public service component of a Silver Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme. Numptie or what? He thought it was great, driving the Landrover in a country with no police. After four weeks of taking food and medicine into the mountains in December on a daily basis, he was getting fed up, and I was working out the averages every evening that tomorrow must end in tragedy. Finally we left that poor torn and ravaged country and started back. Worn out, and not terribly clean, we negotiated our last trip through Prozor (where the locals used to pelt the Landrovers with human excrement - on a good day), and climbed up to the top of the mountains that border Bosnia with Croatia. Then it happened. As we reached the top, the radio in the Landrover locked onto a station in civilization, somewhere, and Satchmo began 'All The Time In The World'. The lad just happened to be videoing the view on that sunny December morning and we now have, on film, father and son trying desperately to ignore the words and haunting melody of that song - and failing. Tagged onto the end of a trip filled with the sheer stupidity of the most senseless conflict of modern time, it was too much to bear.

So my final nomination for the saddest song in my life is 'All The Time In The World' by Louis Armstrong.

Regards,

HG

That's a very touching story, HG.

Liked
    69 times
    Hello by Lionel Richie

I Want To Know What Love Is by Foreigner

Eternal Flame by the Bangles

I'll Stand By You by the Pretenders

Drive by the Cars (forever associated with the images of starving children in Africa at Live Aid)

Ta Ta

Marky B

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast