Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Does anyone have this tv play broadcast for schools show on dvd please?

Peter Terson's classic play, originally written for the National Youth Theatre, about Harry, a man whose greatest love is football.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Chudofbroady, I seem to remember this being on the box, "Play For Today' or something like it, am I wrong ?

Senior Member Country: Scotland narabdela's Avatar
    Liked
    20 times
    name='billy bentley']Chudofbroady, I seem to remember this being on the box, "Play For Today' or something like it, am I wrong ?

No, it was broadcast as a "Play for Today" in 1975, though the original National Youth Theatre production was in the late 60s.

Liked
    0 times
    I can recall it being shown on tv at secondary school in the 70's.

Anyone have it?

Liked
    13 times
    It's been a while so I thought i'd get an update, does anyone have this ?

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    6 times
    This company have it: dandydvd@southwestmediaservices.co.uk

They have loads of rare and hard to find tv and films and seem reputable as I've bought from them and had no problems. They'll send you a list of their current offers if you e-mail them or you can PM me and I''ll send you a copy of mine.

Liked
    0 times
    Thanks pelam.

Liked
    0 times
    name='pelam']This company have it: dandydvd@southwestmediaservices.co.uk

They have loads of rare and hard to find tv and films and seem reputable as I've bought from them and had no problems. They'll send you a list of their current offers if you e-mail them or you can PM me and I''ll send you a copy of mine.

I got the list of dvd's from the email address but some of them are available commercially and at a cheaper price.

I thought �10 for Zigger Zagger (just 3 x 30 minute episodes) was a bit much to be honest but many thanks for the link.

Liked
    0 times
    I bought Zigger Zagger from them and one or two other items. I thought �10 was ok as it's very rare and never going to be released. Although stranger things have happened.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    I always find people's views on pricing very interesting reading.

Most people are very used to paying �10 - �15 for a newly released DVD which will inevitably be �5 in 6 months time and �3 within 2 years and yet baulk at paying �10 for something they haven't seen nor heard of in the last 30 years. It astonishes me.

Surely if you've been trying to find something for a few years without success then come across it at a price that is lower than the RRP of a newly released Hollywood remake or the latest 2 episode release of last years Doctor Who you'd be jumping for joy and pulling your payment card out of your wallet, waving it at the screen and shouting "Gimmee"!

Or is it just me that actually values lost and rare media in monetary terms? For me, the memories unlocked by watching a TV show or series that I haven't seen in decades are priceless and a tenner seems very cheap indeed.

Liked
    13 times
    I think a tenner is quite reasonable, sadly Mrs. Bentley doesn't always agree. Once in a while she doesn't mind, but not on a regular basis - we're just not that well off !

Liked
    0 times
    name='GoggleboxUK']I always find people's views on pricing very interesting reading.

Most people are very used to paying �10 - �15 for a newly released DVD which will inevitably be �5 in 6 months time and �3 within 2 years and yet baulk at paying �10 for something they haven't seen nor heard of in the last 30 years. It astonishes me.

Surely if you've been trying to find something for a few years without success then come across it at a price that is lower than the RRP of a newly released Hollywood remake or the latest 2 episode release of last years Doctor Who you'd be jumping for joy and pulling your payment card out of your wallet, waving it at the screen and shouting "Gimmee"!

Or is it just me that actually values lost and rare media in monetary terms? For me, the memories unlocked by watching a TV show or series that I haven't seen in decades are priceless and a tenner seems very cheap indeed.

Goggleboxuk, thanks for your input on Zigger Zagger.

I think maybe it is just you who values lost and rare media in monetary terms as I certainly don't.

I am looking for the show but not at �10 it doesn't mean that much to me and now I am aware of it's availability I know for a fact it will appear elsewhere on the net for free.

Liked
    0 times
    I think maybe it is just you who values lost and rare media in monetary terms as I certainly don't.

It's not just one person who values lost a rare items in monetary terms as I think if you really want to see something badly enough you will pay a reasonable amount for it. Your point is that you aren't that bothered about that particular item which is fine. I'm sure there are plenty of programmes/series you would pay a lot for just not Zigger Zagger.

I don't like watching things for free on the net as watching bad quality in a small window is not very entertaining!

Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    name='film1967']It's not just one person who values lost a rare items in monetary terms as I think if you really want to see something badly enough you will pay a reasonable amount for it. Your point is that you aren't that bothered about that particular item which is fine. I'm sure there are plenty of programmes/series you would pay a lot for just not Zigger Zagger.

I don't like watching things for free on the net as watching bad quality in a small window is not very entertaining!

I don't primarily value media in monetary terms but it's a fact of life that if you want something that belongs to someone else then the only way you're going to get it is to pay for it.

I wasn't suggesting for a moment that you are a tightwad, just commenting on the fact that some people are prepared to spend time and effort sourcing material but not cash. It was merely an observation and I certainly didn't intend any offence by it.

Zigger Zagger is available here:

The Best Of BBC Schools - Volume 6 - It's Maths For Sale

and the site encourages trade and negotiation. It may be worth asking?

Liked
    0 times
    name='film1967']

Neither do I.

I was implying that the show would appear on the net in a format which could be downloaded and then watched on a tv through a usb device or on a dvd disc.

Protocol of this forum would not allow me to be more specific but I am sure if you think about it you will "get my drift".

Thanks for the input anyway.

Liked
    13 times
    I'm confused, I thought this was a Play For Today, but on IMDB looks to me like a short TV series and this thread mentions three episodes. Surely three episodes is too short for a series ? Could it have been a three part Play For Today ? Was there more than one production for TV ? Any information would be appreciated.

Senior Member Country: UK Moor Larkin's Avatar
    Liked
    120 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billy bentley View Post
    I'm confused, I thought this was a Play For Today, but on IMDB looks to me like a short TV series and this thread mentions three episodes. Surely three episodes is too short for a series ? Could it have been a three part Play For Today ? Was there more than one production for TV ? Any information would be appreciated.
    I could have sworn it was done as a play on telly too. I might have even watched it. Narabdela agreed with you upthread. This must be a remake they're all talking about... No wonder 10 quid is too much....

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    Quote Originally Posted by billy bentley View Post
    British TV series can be any number of episodes, from 2 to an infinite number. They're not as rigid as some other countries

Steve