Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    69 times
    Having seen the Two Way Stretch this afternoon,who played the prison governor in Lionel Jefferies' original prison?

Member Country: UK
    Liked
    0 times
    could have been maurice denham, he is listed on the imdb as the governor.

Liked
    151 times
    Yep, Maurice Denham, i bought it as part of a Sellers DVD pack.

Liked
    69 times
    No it wasn't Maurice Denham - this actor appeared briefly near the beginning.

Liked
    151 times
    John Harvey was governor of Rockhmpton according to the imdb cast list.

Liked
    0 times
    Re Two Way Stretch.

Maurice Denham was the Gov of Huntley Prison in which Sellers et al were ensconced.

Rockhampton was the prison that Krout (Lionel Jeffries) was transfered from.The Gov there was played by John Harvey.

Personally I believe this film to be the finest example of character casting and acting of any british comedy/dramas with Jeffries out classing even Sellers.(this also goes for his portrayal of "Nosey" Parker in The Wrong Arm Of The Law).

Not once during either film does Jeffries step out of character, Sellers does in both.

Incidentaly The Two Way Stretch was an inspiration for the TV series Porridge.

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    Two Way Stretch (1959) Time for an updated re-make, methinks.....

'Cushy' prisons see dozens trying to break in

By Robert Winnett and Christopher Hope

DAILY TELEGRAPH 'Cushy' prisons see dozens trying to break in - Telegraph

04/06/2008

Tens of thousands of prisoners are opting not to apply for early release amid allegations that Britain's prisons are now so comfortable that they are effectively "expensive bed and breakfasts".

The figures were released on Tuesday by Jack Straw, the Justice Secretary, who also disclosed that dozens of people have been caught trying to break into prisons over the past few years.

The news was seized upon by the Conservatives who described the mismanagement of prisons by Labour as "ludicrous".

Shadow ministers claim that the figures provide the first hard evidence that prisons are now so "cushy" that people would rather stay in prison than be free.

The latest figures show that 37,000 inmates eligible to be released early declined to apply for the perk between 1999 and 2006.

Between 2003 and 2008, 42 individuals were detected attempting to break into prisons. The number of prison break-ins has increased from five in 2003-04 to 19 over the past year. Most were people breaking into open prisons.

Nick Herbert, the shadow justice secretary, said: "Labour's mismanagement of prisons is descending from tragedy to farce. How secure are our jails if criminals can break into them? Whether these are offenders trying to return to jail, as prison officers have alleged, or dealers trying to traffic drugs, it is ludicrous that supposedly secure establishments can be breached in this way."

On Wednesday, the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) will call on ministers to improve prison rehabilitation programmes � with the help of the private sector if necessary.

In a speech at a CBI conference on criminal justice today, Dr Neil Bentley, the confederation's director of public services, will say that if prison is meant to be about rehabilitation as well as punishment, then re-offending rates show the "colossal failure" of existing criminal justice policies.

"Punishment must go hand-in-hand with rehabilitation, otherwise taxpayers, including business will keep paying for an endless merry-go-round of crime � custody � court, with prison just used as a hugely expensive bed and breakfast facility that keeps criminals out of circulation," Dr Bentley is due to tell delegates.

Glyn Travis, the assistant general secretary of the Prison Officers' Association, said: "It tells me there's something wrong in society when people are breaking into prisons to bring in drugs, but the prisoners are quite happy to stay inside."

Inmates at a top security prison recently told Mr Straw that conditions there were like a "holiday camp".

"Prisoners receive a wage for being in prison, they receive a bed, a TV in all cells, Sky television in most areas for recreational use, free telephones, breakfast in bed on many occasions, cash bonuses for good behaviour," said Mr Travis. "And prison staff are forced to deal with them in such a subservient way. It's ridiculous."

A spokesman for Mr Straw said that prisoners may choose not to apply for early release as they believe they are unlikely to pass the risk ass-essments. Others may be un-able to provide an address to which they will be released.

Senior Member Country: Australia
    Liked
    15 times
    Has it ever been openly stated anywhere how closely based on Two Way Stretch was Ronnie Barker in Porridge?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Obviously since time in memorium there have been people sseeking the food and shelter of HM Prisons, but few of them would be the smug abusers we might imagine. When you're bathing in those few inches of lukewarm water, or when the lights go out so early and you're thinking about what every you know (or don't know) might be up to, it's not easy to be "banged up". I can imagine prisoners who have been on the inside so long that the challenges of being back on the outside might seem too much. A very sad place to be for sure.

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Another non-story that surfaces on a regular basis.

Is prison life so cushy that anyone reading this forum feels compelled to commit a crime and "break into a prison"?! Please confirm if you are. I don't think so! Whether the prison regime is tough enough or not is another debate. Many institutionalised prisoners, especially those with psychological issues about re-settling into society would choose to remain within the secure (no pun intended) and patterned life they have led inside - often because they have no skills or network on the outside or have been banged up for a long while. Many down and outs over the years have admitted to doing petty crimes so they can be taken inside and avoid harsh winters on the streets. This is a fact.

Think of the reality of being inside as a man:

Male rape.

Forced drug addiction to become a customer/addict to the local Mr Big.

Sadistic or agressive other prisoners.

Lack of contact by loved ones in some cases, maybe becuase of long distances.

The lack of physical freedom.

BO or much worse from the colleagues you are banged up with.

Complete lack of privacy.

Hepatitis C / HIV etc.

The suspicion that you dear other half might be fed up of waiting and "doing a line" with someone else.

Missing out on family occasions - especially children's birthdays etc.

Before many of you reply with "they should have thought of that before the crime" etc. remember that I am just replying to the silly notion expressed here that being in prison is "expensive bed and breakfast"...

Liked
    1 times
    Phew!

That's very deep Ed..........................

Is it OK to say I loved '2 way Stretch'?

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Nicely put Edward G.

Senior Member Country: Ireland Edward G's Avatar
    Liked
    107 times
    Thanks Billy,

To Harleybloke, I love "Two Way Stretch" also! The DVD is one of my favourites....

Senior Member Country: UK EHV_Emmetts's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    A charming film. I like the scene with Peter Sellers in the prison cell and he uses a chest expander, which has all but one spring and gives it one stretch, then says that's enough exercise.

Liked
    1 times
    George Woodbridge as the kindly old prison warden who lets the inmates do what they like.

Liked
    0 times
    Brilliant film - and you can definitely see an influence from Convict 99. Also I noticed that the trick of lifting up the van with a crane was repeated (some might say stolen) for the Robert De Niro film 'Analyse That'!

Liked
    1 times
    One of my favourite Irene Handl moments in this, when she gives that almost toothless smile.

Liked
    0 times
    I all ways think the line is "oh my god,it's soapy stevens" but it never is slippery one.

Liked
    1 times
    I'm sure that the prison visiting scene involving Bernard Cribbins and Irene Handl is abruptly ended because you can see BC starting to corpse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast