Liked
    0 times
    A lot songs from musicals have been cut when they transfer from stage and screen.

"FunnY Thing Happened On The Way To the Forum being a case in point.

A couple of fine songs were shorn from the film of Caberet, "I Dont Care Much," and "Married."

On the other hand new songs have been added. Frank Loesser wrote, "Woman In Love." for the film of "Guys and Dolls." and that went on to be a massive hit.

Am I right in saying that ,"Something Good." from "Sound Of Music." was written especially for the film.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain Mark O's Avatar
    Liked
    202 times
    'You must love me' was an addition when Evita-the Movie was made

GRAEME
    name='bhowells']A lot songs from musicals have been cut when they transfer from stage and screen.

"FunnY Thing Happened On The Way To the Forum being a case in point.

A couple of fine songs were shorn from the film of Caberet, "I Dont Care Much," and "Married."

On the other hand new songs have been added. Frank Loesser wrote, "Woman In Love." for the film of "Guys and Dolls." and that went on to be a massive hit.

Am I right in saying that ,"Something Good." from "Sound Of Music." was written especially for the film.

Caberet the film had "Mein Herr" and "Money, Money" added - so it wasn't all bad!

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    'A Bushel and A Peck' replaced by 'Pet Me Poppa' in Guys and Dolls.

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    Sweeney Todd had The Ballad of Sweeney Todd excised.

Senior Member Country: Europe
    Liked
    0 times
    The dreadful film of A Little Night Music cut out Liaisons, the only major song for Hermione Gingold's character.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='Gazza']The dreadful film of A Little Night Music cut out Liaisons, the only major song for Hermione Gingold's character.

And The Miller's Son. But I like the film version of The Glamorous Life better.

Liked
    0 times
    Oh, yes, you're right about The Miller's Son, forgot that.

Liked
    492 times
    name='Gazza']Oh, yes, you're right about The Miller's Son, forgot that.

The credit have 'And introducing Lesley Dunlop' (as Petra) and then take away her song. But the worst vandalism is not having Glynis Johns

Liked
    0 times
    The film of "Oliver" had two songs cut. "that's your funeral" sung by the undertaker and "Nobody mentions my name" sung by Bill Sykes. However they do play the latter as background music when he's on screen.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain
    Liked
    13 times
    Scorsese cut the wonderful to watch "Happy Endings" from the first released version of "New York New York", but this was just because of Studio pressure to cut the running time. A very under appreciated film by the way !

Senior Member Country: Scotland julian_craster's Avatar
    Liked
    103 times
    In the film of EXPRESSO BONGO only two of the 17 songs in the stage musical remain......

Liked
    0 times
    In the early thities when the initial craze for musicals had passed studios found that they had musicals for which there was no market.So they would cut out most if not all of the numbers.An example is Girl Crazy which was made by RKO in 1932 It only retained 3 numbers,one of which was written specially for the film.It was remade in 1943 by MGM when most of the original songs were put back in.However this phenomenum repeated itself in the early 60s when again musicals strated to go out of fashion,Irma La Douce,a musical was filmed without any numbers.

Also ther are DVDs such as Hidden Hollywood where numerous deleted musical numbers from Vintage Fox musicals featuring Al Jolson,Shirley Temple,Betty Grable and Alice Faye are featured.

Liked
    0 times
    name='dremble wedge']Sweeney Todd had The Ballad of Sweeney Todd excised.

I havent seen the film yet but I have been told that The Ballad Of Sweeney Todd has been cut, which is very annoying I cant envisage Sondehims musical without this great number to set the scene.

Senior Member Country: Scotland silverwhistle's Avatar
    Liked
    1 times
    Camelot lost Before I Gaze at You Again, The Seven Deadly Virtues, Fie on Goodness, and The Jousts (the last because they could be shown, and didn't need narrating in song).

Ivor Novello has been ill-served on film. Both The Dancing Years and King's Rhapsody lost a fair amount of songs on film.

Man of La Mancha lost 2 of my favourites: Why Does He Do These Things? and To Each His Dulcinea.

Liked
    492 times
    name='bhowells']I havent seen the film yet but I have been told that The Ballad Of Sweeney Todd has been cut, which is very annoying I cant envisage Sondehims musical without this great number to set the scene.

But you don't need it to set the scene in a film -it's a purely theatrical song and not really in keeping with the more realistic approach of the film. You get the tune though.

It's a fabulous film.

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']But you don't need it to set the scene in a film -it's a purely theatrical song and not really in keeping with the more realistic approach of the film. You get the tune though.

It's a fabulous film.

That's as maybe but they had cast Christopher Lee as one of the singers and then decided they didn't need him!

Madness writ large.

(You're right it's a top film though).

Liked
    0 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']But you don't need it to set the scene in a film -it's a purely theatrical song and not really in keeping with the more realistic approach of the film. You get the tune though.

It's a fabulous film.

It is a fabulous film - I also noticed that some of the Priest song had lines cut. But it was all approved and reworked by Sondheim.