Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    Thanks Captain ..... that looks great.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    i wonder how many people will want to go to the cinema on christmas day when they could sit at home watching 'celebrity dancing' christmas specials?

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='jaycad']i wonder how many people will want to go to the cinema on christmas day when they could sit at home watching 'celebrity dancing' christmas specials?

I thought it was a big opening day for films in the US where they don't really do the Christmas telly thing.

Senior Member Country: Scotland
    Liked
    0 times
    LOL, Now that looks fun.. I will take my grandson to see it, use him as an excuse! :)

Senior Member Country: England
    Liked
    0 times
    Sherlock Holmes Trailer - Trailer Addict

He's certainly no Basil Rathbone!

Liked
    100 times
    name='CaptainWaggett']I thought it was a big opening day for films in the US where they don't really do the Christmas telly thing.

i wasn't aware of that!-i can't imagine being in any fit state to go the cinema on christmas day myself-ha ha!!

does anyone think that downey jnr's holmes looks like he's been on the ol' seven per cent solution the night before?

Liked
    151 times
    It's going to be interesting to see what reception this receives. Whilst this short clip looks typical Ritchie style, without a decent script he's sunk (see most of his recent films).

Liked
    255 times
    name='DB7']It's going to be interesting to see what reception this receives. Whilst this short clip looks typical Ritchie style, without a decent script he's sunk (see most of his recent films).

Not having seen any Guy Ritchie films (apart from about half of LSATSB) that thought has made me less happy about this film than I was this morning. Still looks fun though.

Liked
    151 times
    name='batman']Not having seen any Guy Ritchie films (apart from about half of LSATSB) that thought has made me less happy about this film than I was this morning. Still looks fun though.

Holmes purists will probably be hopping mad as it seems to be an OTT actioner given the period and character. It reminded me of Wild West West (Rachel McAdaams - Salma Hayek).

I really hope there's a strong storyline and decent script or we'll have another turkey at Christmas to contend with.

Liked
    255 times
    I am a bit of a Holmes purist myself, but as there is so little Holmes on the big screen these days I'll take what I can get. Downey Jr is a good actor and the film does look like a bit of a lark. I thought Ritchie might have got his old mate Nicholas Rowe involved though. After all, he was the big screen's last big budget Sherlock and he was in LSATSB ...

Liked
    255 times
    name='Joenoir']Sherlock Holmes Trailer - Trailer Addict

He's certainly no Basil Rathbone!

But then, who is?

Liked
    0 times
    name='batman']But then, who is?

Basil Rathbone! I'm not a traditionalist, but this new film seems a little to jokey fo my taste, Sherlock Holmes it's not!

Liked
    0 times
    name='Captain Casper']Please. NO. Not Ritchie. Would we have Vinnie Jones as LeStrade? "You're cammin' wiv me, ya facker"

That is all the new film needs!

Member Country: United States
    Liked
    0 times
    Personally, I love almost anything Holmes. And from the trailer I saw, the Guy Ritchie version really doesn't look too bad.

Liked
    100 times
    name='Tannim']Personally, I love almost anything Holmes. And from the trailer I saw, the Guy Ritchie version really doesn't look too bad.

i loves holmes but as DB7 has mentioned, this production looks rather like 'wild west' with its over the top contraptions and stunts and no doubt CGI will play a massive part! there's enough content in the conan doyle stories not to nescessitate these 'distractions'-i wish someone would make a decent version of 'a study in scarlet' or 'the valley of fear' instead!

Liked
    255 times
    The Peter Cushing version of A Study In Scarlet is pretty good and is available on DVD, but considering how strong a story it is, and that it features the meeting of Holmes and Watson, I am always surprised that this story is neglected by film makers.

Liked
    100 times
    name='batman']The Peter Cushing version of A Study In Scarlet is pretty good and is available on DVD, but considering how strong a story it is, and that it features the meeting of Holmes and Watson, I am always surprised that this story is neglected by film makers.

that's the only version i've seen! i quite like peter cushing as holmes even if he was a bit too serious!

i'm very surprised that granada didn't adapt both ASIS and TVOF-instead opting to lengthen the 'charles augustus milverton' and 'the sussex vampire'(dreadfully) stories unnecessarily1

Liked
    255 times
    name='jaycad']that's the only version i've seen! i quite like peter cushing as holmes even if he was a bit too serious!

i'm very surprised that granada didn't adapt both ASIS and TVOF-instead opting to lengthen the 'charles augustus milverton' and 'the sussex vampire'(dreadfully) stories unnecessarily1

Now you mention it I think that it is the only proper version .... elements of the story crop up in the Ronald Howard/Geoffrey Whitehead series and in the James D'Arcy film Case of Evil, but I can't recall another full version.

There is a cartoon version (voiced by Peter O'Toole) but it isn't very good.

Liked
    100 times
    name='batman']Now you mention it I think that it is the only proper version .... elements of the story crop up in the Ronald Howard/Geoffrey Whitehead series and in the James D'Arcy film Case of Evil, but I can't recall another full version.

There is a cartoon version (voiced by Peter O'Toole) but it isn't very good.

are there any adaptations of 'the valley of fear'? i've not seen any! it's not the strongest holmes story and if i remember rightly conan doyle repeats elements of a similar theme in a later holmes short story? but still i would think it superior to,say,'the case of the silk stocking' for instance!

Liked
    255 times
    O'Toole did a cartoon version of that as well. That's not very good either. The 'country house' section of 'Valley of Fear' is worked into Sherlock Holmes und das Halsband des Todes but the rest of the film is all about Moriarty and a gems heist.

Both A Study in Scarlet and The Valley of Fear were filmed in the silent era, but I do not know if they have survived.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast