Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    The trailer looks good, Robert Downey Jr is a class act and the comparison to Scooby Doo just makes it even more of a must see, so I will be off to see this. Jude Law being boring doesn't come as too much of a surprise and it's easy to cope with a crap Watson if your Holmes is interesting. The game's afoot!

Senior Member Country: Scotland Gerald Lovell's Avatar
    Liked
    182 times
    I can be a bit of a Holmes purist, but will give this one a go.

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    name='Gerald Lovell']I can be a bit of a Holmes purist, but will give this one a go.

Me too ... but big budget Holmes films are a rarity so it's got to be worth a look.

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    I am a Shelock Holmes enthusiast from way back so I shall see the film this holiday. I go with trepidation and hope that it is not showing it's US heritage with 'silly' situations with slapstick or the obvious, Holmes and Watson were Victorian Central Londoners with manners and understatement in everything.

Senior Member Country: England jaycad's Avatar
    Liked
    100 times
    why has holmes got stubble?? he looks like a heroin addict! i'll give it a go but i'm not keen on the artistic licence of what i've seen so far!

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    Gee, guess I'm the only one who doesn't want to see it. Report back what you think. It doesn't open here until Christmas day.

Senior Member Country: UK CaptainWaggett's Avatar
    Liked
    492 times
    name='will.15']Gee, guess I'm the only one who doesn't want to see it. Report back what you think. It doesn't open here until Christmas day.

It doesn't open here until the day after!

Liked
    0 times
    name='will.15']Gee, guess I'm the only one who doesn't want to see it. Report back what you think. It doesn't open here until Christmas day.

I'm with you. The trailers have been horrible and the audio clip I heard on R4 the other day suggested Downey can't do a British accent and that Law can't do acting.

Mal

Super Moderator Country: England
    Liked
    7 times
    name='jaycad']why has holmes got stubble?? he looks like a heroin addict! i'll give it a go but i'm not keen on the artistic licence of what i've seen so far!

Watson often reported that he was concerned at Holmes' dishevelled appearance, and Holmes was a cocaine abuser, as well as an habitue of opium dens - in the course of research, we assume, but perhaps not...?

Liked
    100 times
    name='penfold']Watson often reported that he was concerned at Holmes' dishevelled appearance, and Holmes was a cocaine abuser, as well as an habitue of opium dens - in the course of research, we assume, but perhaps not...?

in the trailers,he seems to be constantly dishevelled-hardly an appearance to inspire confidence in potential customers at that time! as for being a cocaine abuser,both conan doyle and sigmund freud used cocaine in the same period without looking like pete docherty on his way to a victorian themed party at amy winehouses wine-house!

Super Moderator Country: UK christoph404's Avatar
    Liked
    77 times
    Downey is incapable of giving a bad performance in my view, I think he is a very talented actor, I like his films so I will have a look at this. The clips I've seen look fine, it looks interesting enough,... lets see.

Senior Member Country: Great Britain GoggleboxUK's Avatar
    Liked
    6 times
    I agree, Downey Jr has always been an admirable talent. Jude Law can act and a supporting role like this may well bring a more humble performance than we're used to seeing.

Guy Ritchie is undoubtedly a capable director and the production looks very good too. As long as the script holds up I expect this to be an excellent movie which will bring Holmes to a new generation of viewers.

About time too, since Jeremy Brett hung up the deerstalker there's been a void. Big shoes to fill I suppose.

Senior Member Country: UK charliekane's Avatar
    Liked
    5 times

Don't know that I'm too thrilled to see it, despite being a big Holmes fan - never been thirlled by Guy Ritchie's work so far. Saw him intreviewed at the premiere when he claimed to have read all of the books as a boy (really ?) but has never seen any of the film or television versions (really ?? - anyone with an interest in film would surely have seen something of the hundreds of versions out there ?) Of course, this allows him to claim that his Holmes is THE Holmes of Conan Doyle's books, but haven't we heard that somewhere before ?

Senior Member Country: Europe Bernardo's Avatar
    Liked
    13 times
    name='jaycad']why has holmes got stubble?? he looks like a heroin addict! i'll give it a go but i'm not keen on the artistic licence of what i've seen so far!
    Cocaine addiction wasn't it so he should look like respectable businessman perhaps with the nasal passage septum missing?

Liked
    100 times
    name='Bernardo']Cocaine addiction wasn't it so he should look like respectable businessman perhaps with the nasal passage septum missing?

or members of parliament?

Liked
    0 times
    Sorry folks, I'm also a huge Holmes fan, but...I have most or seen of the other spin off's "7 per cent Solution", "Private Life of SH" etc...but I think this looks appalling. It looks like it has been "modernised" for todays people and moved away totally from the originals. I like both Downey Jr and Law so it's not them, think their both fine actors.

It appears to me that most often films just use the name "Sherlock Holmes" as a vehicle to set a detective story in the Victorian era. Why not use their own imagination and come up with a new character?

By the way did anyone catch "Case of Evil" last night what utter rubbish!

Rant over! John

Liked
    0 times

Liked
    1 times
    name='pilgrimuk']It appears to me that most often films just use the name "Sherlock Holmes" as a vehicle to set a detective story in the Victorian era. Why not use their own imagination and come up with a new character?

I'm with you 100% on that. It might well be a good film, but to those who feel Jeremy Brett's Holmes is an impossible act to follow it can only fail to please. Just my thoughts though...

Liked
    0 times

Senior Member Country: Great Britain hhhhancock's Avatar
    Liked
    2 times
    I've read all the Holmes books several times over and many of the Holmes pastiches written by other authors, which easily outnumber the originals. I think that Jeremy Brett or Basil Rathbone are an incredibly hard act to follow in representing Holmes on the screen.

Robert Downey is indeed a very talented actor and I will certainly give this film a try but directed by Guy Ritchie?? Isn't he Shane Ritchies less talented brother?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast