Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Liked
    0 times
    I sometimes worry that I'm the "old stick in the mud" when it comes to remakes and modernist versions of classic originals, so it's great to know that others think along the same lines!

I think Sherlock Holmes of all the characters suffers more than most from this issue; look at the recent BBC versions of Hound of the Baskervilles and the Silk Stocking, absolutley dreadful.

Liked
    0 times
    name='jaycad']why has holmes got stubble?? he looks like a heroin addict! i'll give it a go but i'm not keen on the artistic licence of what i've seen so far!

If you're a Holmes fan you'll know that just about EVERYONE takes artistic license with Holmes.

Herion...stubble...sounds like a 7% soultion

When William Gillette began his illustrious performances as Holmes he even contacted Doyle regarding what he should or shouldn't do when playing his creation. On one occasion, after they had exchanged numerous telegrams about the play, Gillette telegraphed Doyle: "May I marry Holmes?" The unwavering Doyle responded: "You may marry him, or murder or do what you like with him." - seems that even Doyle didn't mind artistic license (he never wrote about Holmes wearing a deerstalker!)

Another example are the American Holmes B-movies made in the 1940's with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. Watson is made out to be a total ass. A bufoon - which the original character is not.

I hope you enjoy the film and take it for what it is - I know I plan too.

Plus it's always nice to give Holmes and "airing" so others can get interested in his world.

Cheers

Senior Member Country: Germany
    Liked
    1 times
    Well, the deerstalker was a "present" from artist Sidney Paget (ACD only wrote about Holmes wearing a hunting cap or something similar) because Paget himself wore one from time to time. Doyle criticised Paget only for making Holmes "too pretty". Well ...

Senior Member Country: United States will.15's Avatar
    Liked
    0 times
    name='Dr. Schreck']Well, the deerstalker was a "present" from artist Sidney Paget (ACD only wrote about Holmes wearing a hunting cap or something similar) because Paget himself wore one from time to time. Doyle criticised Paget only for making Holmes "too pretty". Well ...

Walter Klinefelter points out in "Sherlock Holmes in Portrait and Profle," the Sidney Paget drawings of Sherlock Holmes varies wildly, most with the Rathbone/Wortner look, some of the earlest stories with a youtful, handsome Holmes, and still others like Holmes admiring a rose in "A Naval Treaty," he is quite plain. It has been argued this lack of consistecy is not Paget's fault, but because six different engravers were used to reproduce the drawings.

Liked
    0 times
    Just saw it.

Really enjoyed it.

Thought Downey & Law did good job as Holmes and Watson.

Pretty good story and not too much artistic license taken

Only seen one other film by Guy Ritchie - Lock, Stock... - which was enjoyable too.

Just find it to have too many jump cuts and the cliche of the "dark film" with only one character wearing a real colour (Irene Adler's red) is a bit over played.

Speaking of Ritchie - being a Yank I must appologise for sending Madonna to you guys. I would assume there is nothing more ignorant that some chick from Brooklyn pretending to have a posh English accent.

Liked
    0 times
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC06FMcmJx0"]YouTube- Sherlock Holmes-Ep4 English fansub (1/3)[/ame]

Super Moderator Country: UK batman's Avatar
    Liked
    255 times
    I watched Sherlock Holmes this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it. Downey Jr is a terrific Holmes and the story is always interesting, if a bit silly at times. Ritchie has toned down the irritating aspects of his direction and the production values are pretty high. It may not strictly be Doyle's Holmes, but this incarnation is more in keeping with the Rathbone series than with Brett's. Law is only OK as Watson, but I think most actors would have struggled to shine opposite Downey Jr when he is on this kind of form. A definite thumbs up from me and I hope it does well enough for a sequel to b comissioned.

Liked
    0 times
    name='batman']I watched Sherlock Holmes this morning and thoroughly enjoyed it. Downey Jr is a terrific Holmes and the story is always interesting, if a bit silly at times. Ritchie has toned down the irritating aspects of his direction and the production values are pretty high. It may not strictly be Doyle's Holmes, but this incarnation is more in keeping with the Rathbone series than with Brett's. Law is only OK as Watson, but I think most actors would have struggled to shine opposite Downey Jr when he is on this kind of form. A definite thumbs up from me and I hope it does well enough for a sequel to b comissioned.

It came close to covering its production costs in its U.S. box office take over the weekend, so there is no doubt there will be another.

Senior Member Country: UK Windthrop's Avatar
    Liked
    44 times
    Just seen it today. It really does work as a CGI take on the Holmes ourve. I agree with Bats that it isn't particularly true to Doyle but Downey does give a fine performance. I also agree that Law doesn't really stand a chance in this film particularly since he is playing Watson 'straight' instead of Bruceish (maybe Nigel was on to something ). Eddie Marsen was spot on as Lestrade - plodding without being a complete buffoon ala Dennis Hoey.

The game is indeed afoot for a sequel

Who voiced Moriarty - and ideas ?

Liked
    0 times
    For all you Holmes fans, here is another movie to look forward to (or not).

The Asylum�s Sherlock Holmes is filled with monsters! TarsTarkas.NET Blog

Senior Member Country: Aaland dremble wedge's Avatar
    Liked
    85 times
    name='Windthrop']

Who voiced Moriarty - and ideas ?

Rumours are that it was Brad Pitt.

Liked
    0 times
    This isn't a joke trailer. This is an actual direct to video full length movie just released. Hey, at least this Sherlock Holmes is clean shaven.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaHvM9KVpcw"]YouTube- Sherlock Holmes Trailer from The Asylum[/ame]

Administrator Country: Wales Steve Crook's Avatar
    Liked
    418 times
    name='dremble wedge']Rumours are that it was Brad Pitt.
    The credits mention "Ed Tolputt ... Anonymous Man"

Steve

Senior Member Country: England waldo_lydecker's Avatar
    Liked
    10 times
    I usually like Downey Jnr but I couldn't take him seriously in this. His Holmes didn't look as if he was used to reading books, let alone solving crimes.

Senior Member Country: UK
    Liked
    129 times
    name='dremble wedge']Rumours are that it was Brad Pitt.
    Well they rumour is that Pitt is on the list to play Moriarty in the sequel. Personally I think Paul Bettany would be great, but then again he can do no wrong in my book.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by the movie it (mostly) worked despite my initial concerns. For what it's worth my full review - Sherlock Holmes Review (2009)

Liked
    129 times
    name='will.15']This isn't a joke trailer. This is an actual direct to video full length movie just released. Hey, at least this Sherlock Holmes is clean shaven.

YouTube- Sherlock Holmes Trailer from The Asylum
    I've seen it! Total nonsense, it's a low budget Steampunk version of Holmes. But its probably the best movie to be made from The Asylum. Not exactly the most convincing of endorsements!

Liked
    0 times
    It was shockingly bad and very, very boring.

Liked
    129 times
    "discombobulate!"

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2etX989DRK0&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjKXFBkNE10&feature=related[/ame]

Senior Member Country: UK didi-5's Avatar
    Liked
    191 times
    Ahhh ... Robert Downey or the majestic Mr Brett.

Hmm.

No contest really :)

My copy of the Downey arrived today and I plan to watch it alongside the Asylum version I already have. Not sure if I will like either but I'm willing to give them a try.

Liked
    129 times
    Brett is best, but I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed this new version. In fact I'm going to buy it on bluray.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast